Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jr711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    348

    most affordable area to live in OC?

    i have a job offer in Rancho Santa Margarita. i don't think i'll move anytime soon but maybe next year or something. so just asking where the most affordable place to live at about 10-15 miles from RSM?

    i have another offer in torrance that actually pays a little more but theres btter mt biking in OC.

    argh tough decisions!

    thanks

  2. #2
    stay thirsty, my friends
    Reputation: LBmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    i have another offer in torrance that actually pays a little more but theres btter mt biking in OC.
    You sir have your priorities straight! Can't answer your questions tho . . .
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    i have a job offer in Rancho Santa Margarita. i don't think i'll move anytime soon but maybe next year or something. so just asking where the most affordable place to live at about 10-15 miles from RSM?

    i have another offer in torrance that actually pays a little more but theres btter mt biking in OC.

    argh tough decisions!

    thanks
    parts of Lake Forest, Tustin and Orange are a little less than other So OC places. The later two using the toll road to get to RSM in 10-15 miles. If you can afford a home and handle a little less cash So OC can be nice for riding and living.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jr711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    348
    i finally finished with school in august. so no money to buy a home yet. my plan is to live at home for a year or two to save some money for a down payment for something small. and hopefully the theory a real-estate friend has holds up about some kind of housing bubble in cali(i can dream). any little bit would help. but i may just end up renting like most. we'll see

  5. #5
    OMR - Old Man Riding
    Reputation: mtber3737's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    429

    Good job! Don't hold your breath waiting for a RE bubble to pop!

    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    i finally finished with school in august. so no money to buy a home yet. my plan is to live at home for a year or two to save some money for a down payment for something small. and hopefully the theory a real-estate friend has holds up about some kind of housing bubble in cali(i can dream). any little bit would help. but i may just end up renting like most. we'll see
    Hate to break it to you but there is no bubble in SoCal real estate in the next 5 years. Too much demand and too many people with money, low interest rates and plenty of jobs. The OC economiy will keep perking along for years to come. The prices may flatten and retreat slightly as real estate is cyclical but in most cases you can't save fast enough to overcome the appreciation. Last year we had 24.7% appreciation... most of the economists said that we would suffer a 7% decline in prices. We at about about 18% this year... the economists had predicted a 10-12% decline in prices. The National Board of Realtors is predicing about a 15% appreciation for 2006... most economists are saying that although they've been wrong for the last 5 years now and have no credibility, they are predicting a 12% decrease in home prices... who are you going to believe???
    I would suggest you get together with a couple of friends and buy something... anything, then hold on for a year or two and start leveraging up. That's how people are now living in million dollar houses.

    My 2 cents....

    Old Man Riding... also a Realtor in South OC

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jr711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    348
    yeah i figured

    thanks

  7. #7
    Just another Homer
    Reputation: Pain Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    742

    Decent home

    In OC would be over 600k with a down of say 20% you're looking at 120K , if you can save that in a year or two, you can afford OC. We thought about moving back there,but after experiencing the traffic and all the other congestion we just didn't figure the quality of life there was worth it. I'll stay out in the less congested areas of North Fonatana and Rancho Cucamonga..Reminds me of what OC used to be,before it was over built. Good luck, you're not alone.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CalEpic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    621

    Anywhere

    If you're going to rent, I would live close to work and riding. Rents are not that different in OC. Tons of condos and apartments in So OC.

    My wife if is a realtor and I have to echo what mtber3737 says about real estate prices. If your credit is good there's all kinds of financing options to get you into a house when you're ready.

    Torrance ? My wife lived in that area before we were married. Trust me - You would like South OC much better.

    See ya on the freeway.

    C

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,059

    Just couldn't resist responding to this

    Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737
    Hate to break it to you but there is no bubble in SoCal real estate in the next 5 years. Too much demand and too many people with money, low interest rates and plenty of jobs. The OC economiy will keep perking along for years to come. The prices may flatten and retreat slightly as real estate is cyclical but in most cases you can't save fast enough to overcome the appreciation. Last year we had 24.7% appreciation... most of the economists said that we would suffer a 7% decline in prices. We at about about 18% this year... the economists had predicted a 10-12% decline in prices. The National Board of Realtors is predicing about a 15% appreciation for 2006... most economists are saying that although they've been wrong for the last 5 years now and have no credibility, they are predicting a 12% decrease in home prices... who are you going to believe???
    I would suggest you get together with a couple of friends and buy something... anything, then hold on for a year or two and start leveraging up. That's how people are now living in million dollar houses.

    My 2 cents....

    Old Man Riding... also a Realtor in South OC
    I live in Boise, with my Girlfriend; we will probably get married.
    She is completing a degree. We both REALLY WANT to live in OC
    The reality is we may/most likely will have to rent.
    We both have excellent credit, very high scores at least.......

    We are hoping to find a condo.

    Also, in case any Boise lurkers on here who want to knock me down -
    not knocking this place - it is very cool, but I grew up in OC and have many other friends there, family....
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 12-16-2005 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Info

  10. #10
    Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Reputation: Phishin Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    517
    I moved to RSM from the midwest. I have never been an ocean guy, so living in the foothills is great. I can leave my house and hit O'neal park in 2 minutes. My wife and I have really enjoyed RSM, traffic is not as bad as other areas. If your looking for any night life, this is not the place to live. If your looking for a great place to live and hit the trails without having to put your bike on your car, this is the right place. Your right at the foothills to the Santa Anas, Holy Jim, Trabuco, Santiago, etc..

  11. #11
    OMR - Old Man Riding
    Reputation: mtber3737's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    I live in Boise, with my Girlfriend; we will probably get married.
    She is completing a degree. We both REALLY WANT to live in OC
    The reality is we may/most likely will have to rent.
    We both have excellent credit, very high scores at least.......

    We are hoping to find a condo.

    Also, in case any Boise lurkers on here who want to knock me down -
    not knocking this place - it is very cool, but I grew up in OC and have many other friends there, family....
    There are still places out here (south OC) where your money goes a little farther... Rancho Santa Margarita is one and sometimes you can still find a smaller place, buy it, live in it for a while, build your own appreciation then move up as you acquire equity. Hey, there's always a way....

    I lived in Boise as a kid... I remember a lot of snow!

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,997

    I also believe O.C. real estate is not a bubble

    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    yeah i figured

    thanks
    To bad, we'd like move up from our condo to a house but the tax difference alone would be a huge difference.
    Oh well, South O.C. is a great place to live work and ride, I guess that's the reason a nice 2 bedroom condo goes for half a million, though I have seen older, small 2 bedroom condos with carports for the mid 300 thousand range.

    At any rate, if I were not already vested in the glorified apartment (condo) game I'd still live/rent and work here and try sock away as much cash and 401k as possible.

  13. #13
    Not because I'm fast.....
    Reputation: 2farfwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    750

    There isn't

    I had to leave OC and move to Colorado in 2003 to be able to afford a home and let my wife stay home with the kids. Plus, it's clusterf%^$ there anyway... too many people too much traffic. Yeah, that's right I said it and I was born and raised there for 32 years

    The Path bike shop is there though, that's about the only good thing left in OC.

  14. #14
    OMR - Old Man Riding
    Reputation: mtber3737's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    it's clusterf%^$ there anyway... too many people too much traffic. Yeah, that's right I said it and I was born and raised there for 32 years

    The Path bike shop is there though, that's about the only good thing left in OC.
    Yeah, the Path is a good shop... but we other good things here as well... there are really good people here, the weather, there are great places to ride, a beautiful ocean, mountains and desert to enjoy... and yeah, there's traffic, polution, population, etc, etc; but, everyplace has it's problems... just glad you found a place you're happy at.

    Regards from SoCal....

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jr711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishin Paul
    I moved to RSM from the midwest. I have never been an ocean guy, so living in the foothills is great. I can leave my house and hit O'neal park in 2 minutes. My wife and I have really enjoyed RSM, traffic is not as bad as other areas. If your looking for any night life, this is not the place to live. If your looking for a great place to live and hit the trails without having to put your bike on your car, this is the right place. Your right at the foothills to the Santa Anas, Holy Jim, Trabuco, Santiago, etc..
    yeah thats why i'm choosing RSM over Torrance. both jobs are very similar and both have a great atmosphere. a big plus for RSM is i like the area. i currently do a lot of mt biking in OC in the weekends. i mean mt biking isn't the priority but since both jobs are very similar, or at the moment seem similar. i might as well work where i may consider moving to one day.

    i'm single with no kids so i don't have those to worry about at the moment. i recently graduated, at this point i just want to gain valuable experience and learn as much as i can, and have some fun on the way.
    Last edited by jr711; 12-16-2005 at 11:25 PM.

  16. #16
    Not because I'm fast.....
    Reputation: 2farfwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    750

    You are right

    Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737
    Yeah, the Path is a good shop... but we other good things here as well... there are really good people here, the weather, there are great places to ride, a beautiful ocean, mountains and desert to enjoy... and yeah, there's traffic, polution, population, etc, etc; but, everyplace has it's problems... just glad you found a place you're happy at.

    Regards from SoCal....
    You are very right, there are many great things about the area, and the ocean and surfing are probably the things I miss most. I miss my friends and riding buddies too. Oh yeah, and the weather. Good points you make and I wish you much happiness as well.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,059

    Yep, great surfing in Orange County!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    You are very right, there are many great things about the area, and the ocean and surfing are probably the things I miss most. I miss my friends and riding buddies too. Oh yeah, and the weather. Good points you make and I wish you much happiness as well.
    Regards from Boise!
    (pic is from Oceanside so almost OC..)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    most affordable area to live in OC?
    anywhere outside of it.

    So are you done with PoCal?

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,997

    Colorado, bet that doesn't suck

    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    I had to leave OC and move to Colorado in 2003 to be able to afford a home and let my wife stay home with the kids. Plus, it's clusterf%^$ there anyway... too many people too much traffic. Yeah, that's right I said it and I was born and raised there for 32 years

    The Path bike shop is there though, that's about the only good thing left in OC.
    how much does a small house or nice 2 bedroom condo go for in your neck of the woods?

  20. #20
    Not because I'm fast.....
    Reputation: 2farfwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    750

    Colorado

    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    how much does a small house or nice 2 bedroom condo go for in your neck of the woods?
    I've got a nice (built in 1994) 1700sqft house with a 650sqft unfinished basesment on a 7000sqft lot and I paid $228K. 15 minutes from Boulder, 20 minutes from Denver and there is killer riding everywhere.....can't beat it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2farfwd; 12-18-2005 at 05:20 PM.

  21. #21
    Not because I'm fast.....
    Reputation: 2farfwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Regards from Boise!
    (pic is from Oceanside so almost OC..)
    Thanks for that picture, I made it my background on the computer

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    169
    Now that's what I'm looking for, it's time to bail on the Midwest and find some REAL riding!

  23. #23
    120 pounds of xc sex!
    Reputation: carbnjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    639

    Good job! nice....

    CONGRATS JR!

    how about anahiem? they are areas of orangewood that are pretty affordable, and wont be that bad of a drive to that side.

    or just find a room to rent in in tusin for 400-500 too. (probably near the path)

    good luck mang!
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

    WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

    >Ankur<

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,059

    Good job! The Path

    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    I had to leave OC and move to Colorado in 2003 to be able to afford a home and let my wife stay home with the kids. Plus, it's clusterf%^$ there anyway... too many people too much traffic. Yeah, that's right I said it and I was born and raised there for 32 years

    The Path bike shop is there though, that's about the only good thing left in OC.
    Just purchased a Turner frame from Tani when we were down at Thanksgiving,
    going to get it built up soon. I'm thinking this is the last cross country frame I will need
    for a very long time (becuase of it's good durability and design, NOT due to my age)

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoCalAl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    298

    Grain of salt

    Hate to break it to you but there is no bubble in SoCal real estate in the next 5 years.
    This coming from a real estate agent, imagine that! When the median house price is 9 times the median income and it's much cheaper to rent than to buy (in the short run), something's bound to happen. I don't know about south OC, but LA market is showing signs of weakening. Not that I'm saying there is a bubble, but I wouldn't count on prices maintaining, especially if the interest rates go up with all the people on variable rates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •