mtbr member

Montana De Oro Trail

Went to Pismo Beach for Thanksgiving with the fam. While there, I went for a ride at Montana De Oro. Here's some pics. Really great trail with some incredible views, not so great pics because they were taken with a disposable camera as I forgot my digi cam. Highly recommend if you are ever in the area, Los Osos, CA.

http://www.rockyou.com/show_my_galle...nceid=92727942

And thanks to the friendly fellow MTBers and Scott at Scotty's Bar & Grill in Pismo for recommending the trail. =) Hope the scrapes from your ride are healing well.
    Last edited by mtbchik25; 11-28-2007 at 10:04 AM.

just along for the ride
    Glad it worked well, but we need some rain to get it real good. Here's a picture of Ridge trail from Valencia ridge to give peeps some scale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Harvest Widow
    Looking forward to getting back on my bike. I heard they opened some more trails in MDO. Is this true and if so, are they only open to hikers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Glad it worked well, but we need some rain to get it real good. Here's a picture of Ridge trail from Valencia ridge to give peeps some scale.
    oh yeah, your pic is a lot more clear than my crappy $12 diposable cam pics. i'm sad i didn't have my digi cam......i went up islay creek to east boundary to hazard peak and down ridge trail. FUN stuff, can't wait to do it again!

just along for the ride
    The ridge trail reroute that has been in the works for 2 years is near done. Good news is that the old run down ridge will probably stay open too, which will help the DH junkies rehab worries. The new trail is loose and narrow in spots, rain is needed for it to set up. Seems the new ridge trail will be the preferred way to go up and the old trail which is a DH blast, will remain so. Still some talk about opening up S of islay creek which is now only horseys and hikers. Once if/that happens the loop out to coon creek will be a great addition to the trail network.

The only new trail in the area I'm aware up is in the lake San Antonio area (like a 8 miler). There is also talk of opening up whale rock resevior, more than the 3 miles they have now on the eastern side. Its now still a poach but a very fun/scenic ride on the West and North sides, pretty much overgrown double track but its a fun 7 mile ride, one big climb from the dam to cotton tail creek with a bunch of rolling hills.

Still no word on opening up the old powerline road from Morro Creek road to Cerro alto trail system. Once that happens this area will give even Santa Cruz a run for its vert

just along for the ride
    The best way to go is park at the gate to horse camp just as you enter the part. Park at the pull outs. Go down towards horse camp and continue on to the end of the double track unless you like climbing waterbars then take the right about 1 mile in called manzinita. Best to go to the end and pick up recently recut (few years ago) east boundary, much nicer climb than manzinita and both hook up to ridge trail. Then its up to you, up and down ridge and back islay creek to either climb back east boundry or the more technical baranca. Or down east boundry/islay creek and a nice high speed fix. Also make sure after coming out ridge to the main road do the easy bluff cruise to check the cliff/ocean views. Bike are OK on the bluff trail. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the ridge reroute is open, but like brown teeth said, it needs some rain cause its silty loose in typical MDO fashion. personally for the DH the old trail is cooler, with the exception of the top part up until it crosses the old trail.

i really need to get out there to ride more often. make a day of hitting the trails, then stop in at sylvester's on the way back to SLO

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

really cool place to see the sunset

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Heh, not difficult to see why Scott was so friendly...

I was going to do that trail on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but blew it off. Darn!
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mammothpunks

wow, thats an excellent picture. makes me want to do a night right up there once i get my light kit together

mtbr member

That

Quote Originally Posted by mammothpunks

is an AWESOME picture my friend. very nice.

mtbr member

ya missed out

Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    Heh, not difficult to see why Scott was so friendly...

I was going to do that trail on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but blew it off. Darn!
    it was a beautiful day to ride!! i'll be there next thanksgiving, it would be fun to get an mtbr group together for a ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I did the same route Saturday. I agree it's a great ride with awesome views. I do it on a big bike so I get a good workout and really get to fly on the downhill. I'm glad they're leaving the old DH trail. It's over way too soon but it's really fun.

mtbr member
    I never ridden there but that place is beautiful! I've hiked and walked along the cliffs etc... I didn't have my bike with me. Wow, I would love to ride there!

just along for the ride
    Remember the mantra... why walk when you can riiiiiiide

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That picture should be framed!

just along for the ride
    Why thank you but the other one with the fancy flash takes the cake, you know staged and he's not exactly going fast so photog +1, rider go faster next time

mtbr member

seriously

Quote Originally Posted by merlin1011
    That picture should be framed!
    you guys have some awesome pics. can i take your photographer on my next ride please?

just along for the ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbchik25
    you guys have some awesome pics. can i take your photographer on my next ride please?

Its only one pic did I miss something?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    well, a well versed browser of the interweb would follow the source of that pic and look at the rest of the photographer's pics on his site. they are some pretty sweet pics

just along for the ride
    Wow you must be a cop, or FBI knowing how to follow obscure posts, party on dude!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ya there are some more photos from this trail on my website. clausenfoto.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i was just feeling a bit sarcastic at the time. plus, i figured other people may have wanted to see the pics anyway.

RIP 12/95 - 02/09
    Can you say Desktop photo?

RIP 12/95 - 02/09

I thought your pictures were great!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbchik25
    oh yeah, your pic is a lot more clear than my crappy $12 diposable cam pics. i'm sad i didn't have my digi cam......i went up islay creek to east boundary to hazard peak and down ridge trail. FUN stuff, can't wait to do it again!
    Your pictures were fine, especially your self pic was great!!! Nice bike too! Man I miss the central coast.