Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Montana de Oro in San Luis Obispo?

Anyone ridden Montana de Oro in San Luis Obispo? It looks a little like El Moro maybe. I'm considering a day trip from OC for some cleaner air. I'm going to keep it shut down in the OC for at least another week. Worth the trip?

Equal opportunity meanie
    Oh yes....BUT, it might be closed too. I've heard that East and West Cuesta Ridges are closed due to national forest closures. MDO is state park so I don't know if that was included in the closures. That area is too precious to compromise by riding it under closure, but it is well worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Looks like it is open as far as I can tell. Is it anything like El Moro or Aliso? Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You may want to ride Irish Hills, Cabrillo Peaks, and Lopez Lake while you're up here. The air is clean.

http://mountainbikeslocounty.com/

Josh

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I went to MDO about 5 years ago. I guess in some ways its like El Moro because it is close to the ocean. But I think it is comparing apples to oranges. Every place is a little different. Some steep climbs in some areas. There is also a ridge run but the day I went it was fogged up. Check out the easy trails that over look the bluffs, too.

Also there is a cool trail off of S. Bay Blvd and Turri Rd in Morro Bay. Keep going north on Bay Blvd. On your East side there is a dirt lot. It takes you by an old quarry site. I think the ride only takes about 40 mins.

Go Lakers!
    I rode there earlier this year and it is well worth the trip. There is a good fire road climb that then vears off to the left up a cool steep single track. I was so new to the area I could not remember the name of the trail but there are plenty of folks who know the area and I even think there is map posted before the trailhead. When I went it was very fogged in but once you climbed to the top it was hot and sunny.

Enjoy!
    [SIZE="3"]Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift that's why they call it the present [/SIZE]

just along for the ride
    Plenty of nice rides in SLO county, MdO is well worth a 16-20 mile ride and about 2500 vert. Best to go in at horse camp up eastboundry then over ridge and down ridge to the coast, then a nice 8 mile booty cruze on the cliffs then up islay creek and either up east boundry or barranca, both 2 mile and 1000'+ vert. If you like views time to go is in the winter, gets very foggy spring into summer. Also there is fun riding right in Morro Bay up black hill and over to cabrillo peaks, again about 16 miles of all singletrack and shorter but steeper climbs. I live in Morro Bay so when in town let me know, I'll show you around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

just along for the ride
    Just got back, the 1+ inch of rains we received the past couple weeks have made the dust go away and its tacky goooood

Even the dog likes it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Made it up on Sunday. Drive took longer than expected, closer to 4 hours. Started on Manzanita to Ridge up Islay to East Boundary. Made it nearly to top of East Boundary when dusk started to hit. For fear of gettting stuck in the dark I headed back down Islay and up the road back to my car. Let me say these trails rock. Unlike Orange County, some of the climbs had a lot of loose rock that took some getting used to. The descent down Ridge towards the ocean was the highlight. I will definitely be back to finish what I started and to check out the cliff trails. I now have a trail map thanks to a nice fellow who gave me his at the start of my ride. You can pick them up at the ranger station. Definitely worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Tgregory,
    Sweet, you made it to MB. That reminds me, I need to visit my bro in SLO very soon. I dig the Central Coast.

just along for the ride
    Next time rather than taking Manzanita up, keep going straight for another 1/2 mile until you get to east boundary. You will then avoid that water bar climb on Manz and instead get a freshly cut newer trail (few years old) that will take you up to ridge. Bit longer but way more fun with less grunt. Enjoy

mtbr member
    May 2006
    it's a bit more of a drive, but Fernandez trail is also a sweet ride, linked in post #4

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005
    I lived in SLO for three years, and out of all the places to ride down there, MDO is my favorite, hands down. I live in Bend, OR, now, and I still get the opportunity to go down there, and the bike is always in tow, ready to hit Ridge trail. Park in the area down at the end and go up and down it a couple of times in an afternoon....killer workout, and if you get it on the right days, the views are spectacular. The entire park is great to ride in, and the surfing out there is pretty good as well...
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good Samaritan Morro Bay 11/04/07

Looking for the good samaritan, I believe his name is Gary who helped my friend out on the trails near Morro Bay last Sunday. He/you were so kind to take Shannon, broken shoulder and all to the hospital. She would love to thank you but in all her pain and confusion she negleted to get any contact info from you. I you are Gary or know who Gary is PM me so I can forward you on to Shannon.
    Thanks so much!
    Lynn

Flowshizzle Baby

Good intermediate trails in SLO?

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Next time rather than taking Manzanita up, keep going straight for another 1/2 mile until you get to east boundary. You will then avoid that water bar climb on Manz and instead get a freshly cut newer trail (few years old) that will take you up to ridge. Bit longer but way more fun with less grunt. Enjoy
    Hey there BT - My wife and I are planning to visit SLO the third week in February. She's a novice on a hardtail and I am a decent rider who will be rocking my new Heckler . What trails do you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

R

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    My last trip up I hit Lopez Lake and MTO, Lopez is a more intermediate ride but it has some good climbing and the views are awsome. I took some pics.
    Click to enlarge.
    Click to enlarge.
    Click to enlarge.
    Click to enlarge.
    Click to enlarge.
    Click to enlarge.

Flowshizzle Baby

looks fun

That looks cool. I think we can handle that. Any flowy stuff around there?

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo
    That looks cool. I think we can handle that. Any flowy stuff around there?
    Lopez lake had some really nice flowing singletrack. It is back behind some sort of boyscout camp area. Pretty easy to find. they will give you a trail map at the parking area. You have to pay to park though and I forgot how much but it is worth it. I didn't get to explore as much as I would've liked but I rode about 22 miles that day. I would say half of that was singletrack. The one trail that runs adjacent to the lake is so much fun I hit it 4 times and it is about 1-2 miles long, pretty smooth but lots of short ups and downs and tight turns, a couple of little drops so it is like a roller coaster. Lots of wildlife, saw about 20 deer and some wild turkeys. Overall not a very difficult ride but lots of fun and the scenery is beautiful.

Flowshizzle Baby

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    Lopez lake had some really nice flowing singletrack. It is back behind some sort of boyscout camp area. Pretty easy to find. they will give you a trail map at the parking area. You have to pay to park though and I forgot how much but it is worth it. I didn't get to explore as much as I would've liked but I rode about 22 miles that day. I would say half of that was singletrack. The one trail that runs adjacent to the lake is so much fun I hit it 4 times and it is about 1-2 miles long, pretty smooth but lots of short ups and downs and tight turns, a couple of little drops so it is like a roller coaster. Lots of wildlife, saw about 20 deer and some wild turkeys. Overall not a very difficult ride but lots of fun and the scenery is beautiful.
    That sounds perfect. Those types of trails are usually so much fun. We found a few at Fort Ord in Monterey and we loved it.

Thanks for the info!

just along for the ride
    Do not miss MdO, the bluff trail along the cliffs is an easy ride for all with excellent views, add Islay creek road (no cars and a 3 mile out/back) for a easy 10 mile ride. You can hit any of the Mdo trails with your skills but East boundary can be messy and usually needs a week to dry out. Better bet is Ridge trail cause its sandy.

Flowshizzle Baby

Thanks

Do not miss MdO, the bluff trail along the cliffs is an easy ride for all with excellent views, add Islay creek road (no cars and a 3 mile out/back) for a easy 10 mile ride. You can hit any of the Mdo trails with your skills but East boundary can be messy and usually needs a week to dry out. Better bet is Ridge trail cause its sandy.
    Great! Thanks for the info. I can't wait to check it out.

just along for the ride
    Lopez is very nice too but its a fee area with nice camping if its in your plans. Those MdO trails mentioned are totally easy and free and will introduce you to the area. On Islay creek road the two trails branching to the left will get the heart working and give great views. Enjoy and there are trail maps posted at access points.

Flowshizzle Baby
    Lopez is very nice too but its a fee area with nice camping if its in your plans. Those MdO trails mentioned are totally easy and free and will introduce you to the area. On Islay creek road the two trails branching to the left will get the heart working and give great views. Enjoy and there are trail maps posted at access points.
    Cool Bro - thanks alot!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo
    Hey there BT - My wife and I are planning to visit SLO the third week in February. She's a novice on a hardtail and I am a decent rider who will be rocking my new Heckler . What trails do you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

R
    A great intermediate area is Cabrillo Peaks. It's just up the road from MdO, lots of singletrack, and no real technical stuff like rock gardens. I take my wife there to ride. Also, Islay creek and bluff trail at MdO are great as well for novice MTBers.

Flowshizzle Baby

Cool

A great intermediate area is Cabrillo Peaks. It's just up the road from MdO, lots of singletrack, and no real technical stuff like rock gardens. I take my wife there to ride. Also, Islay creek and bluff trail at MdO are great as well for novice MTBers.
    That's perfect!

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast