Thread: MLK on SJT

Whiskey Wheels

MLK on SJT

Took the girls (my wife and "adopted daughter") out for a very leisurely climb to Cocktail Rock and back yesterday. Late start, no agenda except to get the kid to the rock. Beautiful weather, very few other riders (everybody cool), awesome views and typical dry trail conditions though a little less slippery due to fairly recent rains.

Funny thing though: on the drive out of the trail head, there were 3 guys sitting at the picnic table at the fire station. One of them flagged us down and explained they had made a wrong turn on the trail and ended up at the bottom of SJT rather than the Candy Store where they had left one of their vehicles. The other vehicle was at Blue Jay as they had intended to shuttle Chiquita. They begged a ride back up to the Candy Store for one of the drivers and we obliged.
    I had to laugh though as they explained how they asked the the USFS guys for a ride and the fire dudes were 'very rude' and couldn't be bothered, suggesting they try hitch-hiking.

To top it off, they asked us for a ride up Oretega highway but made no offer of "hey, can we give you some gas money or maybe buy you all a beer?"

Here are a few clues: First, if you don't know where you are, try asking directions. We were sitting at Cocktail Rock as you passed by and could have saved you a lot of headache had you asked "is this the way to the Candy Store?". Second, your tax money pays for fire protection, and does not entitle you to free gubment shuttle rides for a bad decision. Last, offer up some compensation if you're asking someone to haul you up a hill several miles and 45 minutes out of their way. While we may not have taken up the offer, it's the courtesy that counts.

If any of above mentioned group reads this, I hope your buddy who you said was hurt recovers well (I didn't see a Medevac or ambulance so guessing it wasn't life threatening) and you take my suggestions as a guideline for future explorations. I certainly am not looking for anything, and myself have had to rely on the generosity of strangers in the past but have always offered up some sort of payment whether they wanted it or not. It's just the Karmic thing.
    SingleTracks and SingleMalts... mm mm good!

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Sound like Obama voters...
    If not biking, then what?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    Sound like Obama voters...
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days