Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Mission trails hazard

Went down Mr Toads this morning and someone had put brush, bushes and branches all over the trail. There were even a couple holes that looked purposely dug. Why?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lame-O... Thank you for the heads up though...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Somebody's obviously trying to protect their Strava time.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Funny.... but not.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Last edited by RTSO2112; 05-20-2013 at 07:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Were you able to clear any of it out of the way? I think I'll ride there Thursday and see what I can find.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Unfortunately, I did not. I was more pissed off about it and was thinking I might catch this dude towards the end if that trail cause it was obvious that I was the first one down since all that stuff was put there. So I tried mashing through it all but sure enough ended getting some caught in both wheels and I had to stop and pull out branches. After thinking about it, the best thing would have been to try and remove that stuff. It was strewn over a good portion of the trai maybe 50 yards or so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Verns22 View Post
    Unfortunately, I did not. I was more pissed off about it and was thinking I might catch this dude towards the end if that trail cause it was obvious that I was the first one down since all that stuff was put there. So I tried mashing through it all but sure enough ended getting some caught in both wheels and I had to stop and pull out branches. After thinking about it, the best thing would have been to try and remove that stuff. It was strewn over a good portion of the trai maybe 50 yards or so.
    That's a good way to lose a rear derailleur...... I've done it myself, once, a long time ago. Next time you encounter such sabotage, would it be possible to take some pics? Also, it's good to take a minute to dismount, and look for shoe or boot tracks...this can tell you if the criminal, and make no mistake, such an act IS a crime, was possibly on foot. The holes you found, did they have shovel-marks? All of these questions, which often occur to you after your initial pissed-off response, can sometimes be addressed by a couple dozen pics snapped with any kind of camera.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Funny.... but not.
    I'll bet you money the culprit is a Strava-racer mental health professional!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Who's putting the beaver dam on the little trail off the east end of Deer Dancer? I mean blocking the two ends of the trail off the fire road. Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Verns22 View Post
    Went down Mr Toads this morning and someone had put brush, bushes and branches all over the trail. There were even a couple holes that looked purposely dug. Why?
    isn't someone trimming the bushes on some of the trails? It seems like some big cobbles have come loose on Toads, that look like holes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post
    Who's putting the beaver dam on the little trail off the east end of Deer Dancer? I mean blocking the two ends of the trail off the fire road. Bill
    I'm guessing that's being done by a park employee. I know that's outside of current park boundaries, but who else would care? In the past, singletrack north of the 52 that ran parallel the fireroad and linked up to singletrack south of the 52 was blocked identically on either side of the freeway. Eventually that area will be officially within the park and they probably feel like they should start exercising dominion over it now.

I rode out there yesterday and actually kind of welcomed the challenge to get up and over the rocks and branches without dabbing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes the holes may have come from big cobbles loosening up. But tree trimming and placing it all on the trail unlikely

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I rode throgh the tree trimmings today. They were broken down pretty well and I had no issues with it. I've seen this before, but either the brush was smaller or older along Oak Canyon and Three barrels. It takes all kinds.

I did notice a no mtn, sensitive habitat sign at the corner of the Spring fire road and the fire road up to Deer Dancer, about 50 yards from where someone blocked the two entrances to the little single track. Probably the Mission Trails Rangers.

Bill

mtbr member
    A friend of mine rode out there last Friday evening and said there were clippings/branches on the trail. Not sure of which trail but he did mention riding up three barrels. He said he also saw a sign posted that said "No cutting the brush". Almost sounds like someone other than the staff was out there cutting back the brush? Toads could definitely use some maintenance soon. The trail keeps getting wider because of the loose rock and erosion. I know it's "Nature doing it's thing" but it's not a downhill racecourse. I hope no one is out there sabotaging the trails!
    "El Cajon?, that's the anus of San Diego"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaan View Post
    I rode out there yesterday and actually kind of welcomed the challenge to get up and over the rocks and branches without dabbing.
    I welcomed it failed. Real loose stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaan View Post
    I'm guessing that's being done by a park employee. I know that's outside of current park boundaries, but who else would care? In the past, singletrack north of the 52 that ran parallel the fireroad and linked up to singletrack south of the 52 was blocked identically on either side of the freeway. Eventually that area will be officially within the park and they probably feel like they should start exercising dominion over it now.

It is a very rabid, old woman in big hat. I saw her today. Bill

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It is a very rabid, old woman in big hat. I saw her today. Bill
    Don't bother trying to reason with her. Can't be done. She is not part of the MTRP, but may be a volunteer, because she has been seen wearing a MTRP shirt. Remove the brush/rock and enjoy your ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by leadmoto View Post
    Remove the brush/rock and enjoy your ride.
    Thanks, I did that and she came yelling after me, lol! She said the sign at the corner of the Spring Canyon dirt road and the one to Deer Dancer says no mt bike riding. There is a new sign there and it is the same as other MIssion Trails Parks signs, saying stay out, no mtb riding. Mission Trails Park does not own this yet, I believe. There is a boundary marker South of the 52, same on Oak Canyon. Really chaps my hide. I think this rabid woman, had that sign installed there. That woman is more hard headed than me, but not by a lot, lol. I am thoroughly enjoying the area north of the 52 while it lasts, before everything is totally controlled. Ride on..... Bill

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks, I did that and she came yelling after me, lol! She said the sign at the corner of the Spring Canyon dirt road and the one to Deer Dancer says no mt bike riding. There is a new sign there and it is the same as other MIssion Trails Parks signs, saying stay out, no mtb riding. Mission Trails Park does not own this yet, I believe. There is a boundary marker South of the 52, same on Oak Canyon. Really chaps my hide. I think this rabid woman, had that sign installed there. That woman is more hard headed than me, but not by a lot, lol. I am thoroughly enjoying the area north of the 52 while it lasts, before everything is totally controlled. Ride on..... Bill
    Maybe next time tell her it's private property, and the owner gave you permission to ride it:-)

My understanding is that the Deer dancer area is owned by the City of San Diego, and a small portion by an Environmental Trust.

The whole area West of 52 is owned by a couple of entities: Private Ownership, Sycamore Landfill, Environmental Trust, City of San Diego, County of San Diego, School District. With the majority of it owned by the Sycamore Landfill, City of San Diego, and Private ownership.

The City owns most of the trails we ride on (Barrel, Treads, Grassy Knoll, Toads, Deer Dancer), but it is broken up by private ownership.

Lets hope MTRP never get any of this property, or the military property. There is a reason we all call MTRP "Missing Trails".

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

do something

I'm wondering if anyone has informed the lady that if she's moving rocks and brush, she's damaging the environment?

In the end, the riders really need to step up to the plate to do something. It's not about the "questionable trails" it should be more about the lack of proper and fun riding trails within the park. *IF* people are trespassing, they are not doing so because they want to break the law, risk run-ins with Marine patrols, etc. Rather, they are doing so because the park lacks the proper infrastructure (trails, not roads) and they seek fun elsewhere. Again I say *IF* people were to trespass, not that anyone here does.

It's the same faces over and over that go in to advocate for bikes in the park. Bad news, by "the same faces" I am talking 5-10 people. To be blunt, 5-10 people aint gonna be able to achieve sh1t! If it was going to happen, it already would have.

MTRP is currently working on the new master plan. The first 3 meetings were well attended. Since then, there hasn't been much traffic or news as to what is happening, start asking questions now. Once this master planned is inked, you're stuck with it for a good 20 years.

Want to see changes? Start complaining to the right people.

Stacy Lomedico is the Director of Parks and Rec, she is the boss, period.

Open Space? Chris Zirkle, deputy director.

Steve Sherman, district 7 councilman.

Jay Wilson is the director of the MTRP Foundation.

Contact info is below:

Organization Structure | Park & Recreation

Mission Trails Regional Park

As mentioned, 5-10 people can't break the "democracy" of this fine park. So organize... bring 100 riders to the next CAC meting on July 2nd at the visitors center 6:30PM, ask to make public comments. You're not all going to be able to make public comments but some eyes may open.

Follow that up with riders hitting the MTRP foundation meeting.

Organize, know what you are asking for, take 10 hours of your time and try to make things change.

Or settle for what you have now, crappy old jeep roads claimed as "trails" and (IMHO) gross mismanagement of public park funds to support the special interest of a small handful of individuals that treat this park are their own private ranch.

Full info on the MTRP financial situation (in short, they're loaded with money)

Mission Trails Regional Park Foundation Inc. Portrait

I'm not sure what the exact # is but in addition to the info above, I've been told roughly 10K a month is paid for the antenna leases. This money is spent at the direction of the foundation/CAC on incredible (cough) projects like the equestrian staging facility... better known as the "comfort station" or as I call it, "the golden sh1tter"

Basically, people need to organizing and start complaining NOW before the master plan is inked.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has informed the lady that if she's moving rocks and brush, she's damaging the environment?
    I don't think she would agree. I would bet she figures the ends justify the means. Last time I looked, she has been placing rip rap rocks there from the drainage ditches.

Does anyone know if MTRP plans to aquire the land north of the 52? I sure hope not.

Thanks Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I don't think she would agree. I would bet she figures the ends justify the means. Last time I looked, she has been placing rip rap rocks there from the drainage ditches.

Does anyone know if MTRP plans to aquire the land north of the 52? I sure hope not.

Thanks Bill
    They do. It's my understanding from attending the Master Plan public input meetings a couple of years back that they have already acquired some parcels in that area.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Thanks Bill
    Yessir...

I've heard certain people are very supportive of the proposed power plant because the mitigation land (to be purchased by power co) would then be handed over to the park.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks
    Bill

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast