On your left.
    Jan 2004

Mission Trails hat trick

On Saturday I climbed Cowles mtn, South Fortuna and North Fortuna - I consider that a hat trick and look forward to doing it again (maybe even go out towards Pyles peak after Cowles). It was a great 32 mile, 3 hour ride. I recommend it.

Now, there are sections I can't clean and was wondering if anyone has.
    #1 is climbing the Saddle Trail from the Santee side. The pitch gets so steep and the traction so poor that I've never made it without walking. Closest I've ever come was within about 50 ft.
    #2 is climbing the Saddle Trail from the Tierrasanta side. 2/3 of the way up it gets steep and loose, but if this section can be cleaned it should be possible. I've heard of people doing it, but never seen it.
    #3 is the climb from the saddle to North Fortuna. There are several steep, off-camber pitches. I've made this whole climb with just one dab, but it really is tough and certainly wasn't in the cards after >2 hours riding on Saturday.

Last point on Mission Trails. Since the damage from the fires it seems like a great time to add some trails. They really should add a traversing trail up to the saddle instead of the 2 steep chutes. The North slope of North Fortuna, up against the 52 has some very dangerous sections which should be posted or more traversing trails added in parallel. This park is good, but could be so much better.
    M

If you have to ask...

Here's the route you should have taken

From Barker, grind up to the top of Cowles, then down to Mesa Way (Or big rock, whichever you prefer). Though Father Serra to the Bottom of Jackson Drive. Climb up to the towers, then along the Rim Trail to the top of Suycott Wash. All the way down to the park benches (if they are still there- I haven't been down there since the fire). Up the Stairway From Hell to the top of S. Fortuna. Across to Fortuna, then down the north side trail, then the Rim Trail (or better yet, Suycott again to Sidewinder), then the Jackson downhill. Cross the river, and drag your sorry carcass back home.

Let me know how it goes.

miles

On your left.
    Jan 2004

next time

I start on the road back by Qualcom stadium. Maybe next time I do this ride I will follow your route, but with Cowles at the end. Enter at Jackson, up to the towers, out the rim trail, then back on Suycott and up "stairway from hell" to S. Fortuna, to N. Fortuna, off the north side and around to to the grasslands, then out to Mesa Rd. and up Cowles, back down and home.

Cowles is definitely my favorite area of the park. Coming down to Mesa Rd. is my absolute favorite trail. I just wish there were more trails.

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    From Barker, grind up to the top of Cowles, then down to Mesa Way (Or big rock, whichever you prefer). Though Father Serra to the Bottom of Jackson Drive. Climb up to the towers, then along the Rim Trail to the top of Suycott Wash. All the way down to the park benches (if they are still there- I haven't been down there since the fire). Up the Stairway From Hell to the top of S. Fortuna. Across to Fortuna, then down the north side trail, then the Rim Trail (or better yet, Suycott again to Sidewinder), then the Jackson downhill. Cross the river, and drag your sorry carcass back home.

Let me know how it goes.

miles
    M

mtbr member

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    Last point on Mission Trails. Since the damage from the fires it seems like a great time to add some trails. They really should add a traversing trail up to the saddle instead of the 2 steep chutes. The North slope of North Fortuna, up against the 52 has some very dangerous sections which should be posted or more traversing trails added in parallel. This park is good, but could be so much better.
    Usually, to "add" a trail, where none exists, is a bureaucratic nightmare involving the CEQA approval process (Calif Envir Qual Act), but new trails do still happen. Call the Visitors Center at Mission Trails and set up a time to meet with "Ranger Mel". Show him where and why you think a new trail(s) would be appropriate, and se what he thinks...his opinion is pretty much the Go/NoGo for starting the process.