mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Mission Trails Adding 1000+ Acres

Here is something a buddy sent me that I found interesting and had not seen posted on MTBR. Sorry if its a repost.

Does this new land already have trails that we reguarly ride but illigally? Will there be new areas to ride and build sweetness like Grassy Knoll? Or does this technically mean nothing? See link with the KPBS Story:

Mission Trails Park Adding 1,000+ Acres - YouTube

I'm your density
    West of Sycamore Canyon park and North of Miramar air station. I haven't ridden there so I don't know the state of trails other than a few service roads which are evident from Google Earth.

That area isn't associated with the trails that have been patrolled recently by the Marines.

The area is not contiguous with the rest of Mission Trails to the South. It's included in their master plan for incorporation of new trails, but your guess is as good as mine as to if/when anything will be accomplished.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

I <3 Dirt
    I've explored that area once or twice and there's little payoff. The fireroad in the video simply follows a ridge, eventually connecting Poway (near Scripps Poway Pkwy) with Santee - it ties into the fireroad that connects Sycamore Canyon with that rocket engine testing shaft.

When you come to the 4 way intersection at Goodan Ranch head the opposite direction of Cardiac and that fireroad will eventually connect with other fireroads that lead to this section of Mission Trails. When you take the fireroad far enough it'll actually connect to the top of Switchbacks. It's a ride that's interesting to do once, but it's not on my regular rotation.

Thanks for posting the video though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I know the fireroads in that area which only serve as connectors. I'm sure if they open this up new trails will be built. Question is when...

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by islandlife View Post
    I know the fireroads in that area which only serve as connectors. I'm sure if they open this up new trails will be built. Question is when...
    Don't hold your breath. There's a reason it's called Missing Trails.