Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Might be moving to Newport Beach- local riding?

871 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Laxstar118 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I might be moving down to SoCal for work and wanted to know what sort of riding I would have available to me. I currently live in the greater Seattle region and we have about 6 pretty legit spots within an hour with chairlift access at 1.5 hours and Whistler at 5 hours.

What sort of riding do you guys have available? How much of it is there? How far would it be from Newport Beach?

I enjoy all-mountain and DH riding.

Thanks for any and all info!

#2 ·
Hey man, there's lots of great all-mountain riding in SoCal near Newport.

Aliso Wood Canyon - 20 minutes away from door to trailhead
El Moro - about 10 minutes from Newport
Whiting - 20 minutes away
Santiago Oaks - 30 minutes away
The Cleveland National forest - check out San Juan and Chiquito trails - 20-40 minutes away depending on where in the Cleveland you are riding.

Further North you have the San Gabriel mountains near Pasadena which has big climbs and big descents or you can take the shuttle service up to Mt. Wilson and drop about 5,000' vert in about 14 miles.
Palm Canyon is awesome during the winter time too.
Noble Canyon/Big Laguna area in San Diego has some amazing all-mtn type riding too but it's a 2+ hr drive.

As far as DH goes, yea it's here in SoCal but a bit harder to find. Most of it is underground on semi-legal trails that aren't posted on public forums. You can PM me if you want more details.
Mammoth is 5 hours north. Big Bear has lift accessed riding and that's about 1.5 hrs east.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.