mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Mid to Hi end MTB rentals in SD?

I'm going to be in San Diego for several days and would love to try SOCAL singletrack, cna anyone recommend a shop that rents good bikes? Doesn't need to be top of the line but a FS or HT 29r would be great. Looking for trail tips too- couple of days in Rancho bernado then moving to downtown.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    These are the only two shops you need to think about.

For San Diego metro, Cal Coast on Adams. Ibis, Giant demos. Ask about riding in Mission Trails.

Close to Rancho Bernardo in Sorrento Mesa, North of the Border Bikes on Pacific Heights Drive, has all kinds of Ellsworth, Turner, and niner demos. Ask about riding in Penasquitos Canyon it's right there.

Give them a call.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If you're going to be in Rancho Bernarndo, as far as trails go, check out Lake Hodges (North-west and south-west). Both offer decent riding and are relatively flat (except for a spur on the north-west route that turns north about a quarter mile after the creek crossing traveling west that can add a significant climb). If you want some hills, look at Elfin Forest or Daley Ranch (west of the ranch house road has more hills and better single-track). Daley Ranch requires average skills. Elfin forest requires strong technical skills and a healthy set of legs. You'll do a significant amount of work getting up the first trail after which it mellows fitness wise, but not necessarily technique wise. All of the above are North of Rancho Bernardo. Maybe a 15-20 minute drive.

Mission trails is worth a drive if you head up the (oak?) creek trail. Park at the equestrian center at Mast and the 52, ride west till you get to a fire road and turn north. Keep an eye out for single-track on your left. Lots of options to explore. The stuff closer to fortuna peak isn't worth it in my opinion. Probably 15-20 minutes to mission trails from RB. Maybe 10-15 from downtown without traffic.

If you have more time (like a day) check out Noble Canyon or Anderson truck trail. A lot of people do both as shuttles, but they are doable as out and back rides if you're fit. Both are definitely rideable on a cross country hard-tail, but will be more enjoyable with a full suspension. Anderson truck trail is about 30-40 minutes from downtown. Noble Canyon is about 1.5 hours from downtown and you'll need an adventure pass (day use for $5 at the general store on the pine valley exit). Both will make you tired as out and backs, especially if you add the big laguna loop at the top of noble canyon. Big Laguna is a fun ride in and of itself.

Check out mountainbikebill.com for really comprehensive information.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Now that was an excellent recommendation.
    Plenty of detail and information.
    Well done.
    Addicted to the dirt......with no hope for recovery.

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm +1 +1...+1...

Quote Originally Posted by dirthead451
    These are the only two shops you need to think about.

For San Diego metro, Cal Coast on Adams. Ibis, Giant demos. Ask about riding in Mission Trails.

Close to Rancho Bernardo in Sorrento Mesa, North of the Border Bikes on Pacific Heights Drive, has all kinds of Ellsworth, Turner, and niner demos. Ask about riding in Penasquitos Canyon it's right there.

Give them a call.
    Agree with both of these recommendations. Cal Coast also has Niner, RIP 9 and some Niner HT demo bikes. I think $75/day...

NOTB has a good selection (as mentioned). Not sure of price.

Also, you can check with Bike Bling (close to Hodges) in Escondido. They have rentals, not sure about 29ers.

Rejoicing always!
    Also, if you are going to be in RB (Rancho Bernardo for us locals), and you need quick but fun, you can do loops of Miner's Ridge Loop. I work here in RB, and live on the other side of the mountain, so I can bike commute on those trails.

If you need a guide, PM me with timing and I'll see if I can show you some of the trails.

Kudos to Justin for the great descriptions of the other local trails. No disagreement here.