mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Memorial Day at SART

Well, we had a big group of maybe's, but only 4 showed up. We were a tad worried about the weather, but the reports IMO weren't actually that bad.

When we got to the bottom of the hill around 7:45 am, it was mid-50s, but cloudy. We started the climb up to Angelus Oaks and it only got colder the higher up we climbed!

At the Post Office it was chilly as we had a bite to eat and then headed up behind the fire road to descend the singletrack.

Up before the turn off we all geared up in what little cold weather gear we'd brought and headed down.

It was downright cold. I think about 40*F. Hands were freezing, toes were freezing.. We passed a few adults and kids, and then a guy in sweats and a sleeveless shirt?? It was too cold for that!

We decided due to the cold to change up our route a bit, since the trails past Jenks lake were probably out. So, we chose to cut out the extra singletrack climbing and just descend down Middle Control to Glass.

Hubby had a bit of a problem

The first tube was a bust, so we got out a second. Luckily it held up, and we didn't have any further issues!

At the SART crossing at Glass Rd. it was beautiful!!

Heading down the trail

Still nice out!

He had inadvertently already doused himself in an earlier creek crossing, so had nothing to lose here

I took my sweet time and stayed dry

Mmm... big wheels

It was cooling down again, already

The climb back up Middle Control to the Post Office was getting chilly already

We took some new singletrack back down... it was ******in*!! Can't believe we'd never even heard about it before. Lots of sweet turns and then steeper exposed rockier terrain. It was a blast, and it was a bit warmer than the singletrack up above had been, probably due to elevation alone.

No riding pics, just a few trail shots

We got socked in again

Parting shot

All told, wound up with 37miles and about 5,300ft of climbing. Can't wait to go back when the weather is better!

mechmann_mtb
    what an awesome day!

thanks to donkey for showing us some sweet new dirt and sharing the day with us.

just a side note: everyone should check themselves thoroughly. i had a tick on my right wrist. it was a tiny bugger and wouldn't have seen him if he hadn't been in such a conspicuous location.

_
    Mar 2004
    sweet RR allison and justin! that front flat on justins bike was insane, did the tube really wrap itself around the fork like that? lol!

mechmann_mtb
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee
    sweet RR allison and justin! that front flat on justins bike was insane, did the tube really wrap itself around the fork like that? lol!

yeah it did. i was pretty lucky to have held it all together. we were hauling down the fire road, i was coming around a left hander and right about at the apex of the turn my front tire decided it didn't like being on the rim anymore. the tire came off and wrapped around the right fork leg, the tube wrapped up the left fork leg, and i just about crapped in my spandex! if you look at the ground near the bike in the picture you can see a skid leading up to where the bike is, offset from that about 8" is the track left by my rim! pretty hairy!

mtbcat.
    May 2006

5300 ft

to bad you don't get to descend 5300 ft. that trail must have the least amount of pay off for what you put in can you say boring flat up then down then up then down. i dont know maybe on a single speed. there are other good trails in the area that one sucks imp. happy belated M-DAY thanks to all our past and present for providing us the freedom.

mechmann_mtb
    bret...

you keep thinking that...

the new dirt included a 7 mile descent of mostly single track...
    (last three pics are from the new stuff)

i think we will keep this one to ourselves.

mtbcat.
    May 2006

fun with the mann

Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    bret...

you keep thinking that...

the new dirt included a 7 mile descent of mostly single track...
    (last three pics are from the new stuff)

i think we will keep this one to ourselves.
    like i said better trails in the area.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Killer ride yesterday guys....

Next time I will have to try not to inadvertently find the Santa Ana River Hot (COLD!!) Springs.

I suppose getting soaking wet in 50 degree weather somehow added to the whole adventure of the thing.

The final descent rocked! Thanks for the tour B.

Let's do it again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The new singletrack was great. It was a new loop, and I was kind of getting almost "bored" with other one. I know there's a bunch up past Jenks Lake, but as I said, due to the really bad weather, we opted not to go up any higher in elevation.

This summer? Hopefully our leader can take us out again

Lurking sounds so dirty
    One of my favorites, I'll have to check out that lower S/T next time. Gotta think it's better than taking the road up.
    You'll know it's me when you see me at Calaveras carrying my 12" Kabar.

Thirsty
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing the pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo 1
    One of my favorites, I'll have to check out that lower S/T next time. Gotta think it's better than taking the road up.
    Not sure I'd suggest climbing it! The lower section is a bit like Motorway IMO. Probably too steep and loose to climb, and low visibility if someone happens to be descending.

Not that it's uni-directional, but I'd have absolutely no desire to climb up it! The half paved/half fire road/part singletrack climb wasn't too bad.

I'll have to train a bit more before I can start out down below and climb up past South Fork, though

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewMaster
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing the pics.
    My pleasure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by single~minded
    I couldn't make it.....my back didn't want anything to do with biking Man I need a gearie sometimes
    i think it's time for you to get one eric
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

Terminal Pholocity