a.k.a. MTBMaven

McGill Trail Conditions?

I looked on SoCalMTB and on this site for recent information on trail conditions for McGill Trail in the Mount Pinos area but couldn't find anything. So, does anyone have any news about this trail?

Last time I tried to ride it was back in like November and the trail was covered in snow. Several months ago I remember a post with pictures showing considerable damage on a trail in the Mount Pinos area.

I have a guy at work who has heard me talk about mountain biking for so long he went to SuperGo and purchased a bike with their 0% down plan. He started out with a $150 POS from Target I think; the cranks broke within the first week. So now he wants to go biking on dirt. Becasue he's not in shape and not that experienced I wanted to take him on a good shuttel ride to experience the fun part of biking fun without the sweat and tears of biking up hill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    I looked on SoCalMTB and on this site for recent information on trail conditions for McGill Trail in the Mount Pinos area but couldn't find anything. So, does anyone have any news about this trail?

Last time I tried to ride it was back in like November and the trail was covered in snow. Several months ago I remember a post with pictures showing considerable damage on a trail in the Mount Pinos area.

I have a guy at work who has heard me talk about mountain biking for so long he went to SuperGo and purchased a bike with their 0% down plan. He started out with a $150 POS from Target I think; the cranks broke within the first week. So now he wants to go biking on dirt. Becasue he's not in shape and not that experienced I wanted to take him on a good shuttel ride to experience the fun part of biking fun without the sweat and tears of biking up hill.
    Looks like there's still a significant amount of snow up there:

http://www.frazmtn.com/pmcwebcam/

Great idea to bring your co-worker up there, though. My girlfriend and I took her non-biking dad up there this past summer. He had a blast on the Harvest/South Ridge/McGill descent. It'll probably be another month or so before it's completely clear of snow.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Thanks!

JimN,

Thanks for the fast and informative reply. I will keep my eye on the link you gave for snow conditions. I told my co-worker to go ride some fireroads in the Santa Monica Mountains to get comfortable on his new bike and build up some strength before I take him on some "real" trails. I want him to have fun, not be scared.

Thanks again!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    JimN,

Thanks for the fast and informative reply. I will keep my eye on the link you gave for snow conditions. I told my co-worker to go ride some fireroads in the Santa Monica Mountains to get comfortable on his new bike and build up some strength before I take him on some "real" trails. I want him to have fun, not be scared.

Thanks again!

yeah thanks..been wanting to hit that trail...not now....Santa Barbara has a trail like that but with tighter switchbacks...San Ysidro
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days