Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xdefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    272

    Marz in Valencia

    I will be in Costa Mesa next week and need to take my fork up to Marz for some work. Mapquest says it's about 1hr 18min from the hotel I am staying at (near South Coast Plaza). I am meeting one of the Marz techs there at 7:00, he's going to make the change and I will be on the road in 10-15 minutes. Can I leave Valencia at 7:30 and be in Costa Mesa by 9:00????? Can you locals help me out on how much time traffic will add???

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,267

    am or pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    Can I leave Valencia at 7:30 and be in Costa Mesa by 9:00????? Thanks.
    AM on a weekday = not a chance.
    PM = no prob

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    736
    lol!!!! better off leaving for an extended lunch break.

  4. #4
    Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    791
    No way in hell! At that time, it's more like a 2...maybe 3 hour drive.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xdefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay
    lol!!!! better off leaving for an extended lunch break.
    Thanks everyone, I kind of expected as much. I've been to Costa Mesa a bunch, but don't travel that much while I am there, only here the rumors about LA traffic. OK, so if I did attempt it at lunch, waddaya think for time? Is the 1hr 18 min one way accurate with minimal traffic? Lunch time traffic manageable?

  6. #6
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,267

    the 4no5

    Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    Thanks everyone, I kind of expected as much. I've been to Costa Mesa a bunch, but don't travel that much while I am there, only here the rumors about LA traffic. OK, so if I did attempt it at lunch, waddaya think for time? Is the 1hr 18 min one way accurate with minimal traffic? Lunch time traffic manageable?
    the problem is that the main connector between the two is the unpredictable 405. You just never know what joy is around the next turn. Another option is the 5 north all the way to Valencia. Know anyone with a helicopter? Top off the tank and have plenty of good tunes.

    PS - better idea: take someone along and use the route with the most carpool lanes.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    358
    xdefx,

    I take it you're meeting the Marz tech at 7am. No problem on that depending on what time you leave the morning. But like everyone says, I don't think you'll be able to make it to Costa Mesa by 9am. It'll be close, but I'd say give it 2 hours. If there's an accident, you're screwed and take the 5 fwy. The stretch between the 405 by LAX to the 101 can be really unpredictable. If you take off at lunch, make sure you leave Valencia by 2pm the latest. 1pm would be best, but if you leave after 2pm, you could be sitting in a parking lot.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xdefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by SprocketHead
    xdefx,

    I take it you're meeting the Marz tech at 7am. No problem on that depending on what time you leave the morning. But like everyone says, I don't think you'll be able to make it to Costa Mesa by 9am. It'll be close, but I'd say give it 2 hours. If there's an accident, you're screwed and take the 5 fwy. The stretch between the 405 by LAX to the 101 can be really unpredictable. If you take off at lunch, make sure you leave Valencia by 2pm the latest. 1pm would be best, but if you leave after 2pm, you could be sitting in a parking lot.
    Yeah, I was planning on leaving Costa Mesa around 5-5:30AM and be waiting at the doorstep when the guy arrives. I figured the drive up would be "ok" and it was the drive back that would be sketchy. I am just getting a new steer tube pressed into my Z1, it's $50 if you bring it in, $65 plus shipping each way if you mail it. I guess I am screwed......so close, yet so far.....and I am sitting in a training class all friggin' day, 9-5. So, I would have to hit a long lunch, really long to make it up there and back. Marz is only open 8-5, M-F......I guess I could bail early on Friday around 1:00, drive up, get there by 3-3:30PM and then just hang out somewhere around there and come back after traffic settles.....anything notable to do around the Valencia area? What time would traffic die down on a Friday? 7:00PM be OK?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    Yeah, I was planning on leaving Costa Mesa around 5-5:30AM and be waiting at the doorstep when the guy arrives. I figured the drive up would be "ok" and it was the drive back that would be sketchy. I am just getting a new steer tube pressed into my Z1, it's $50 if you bring it in, $65 plus shipping each way if you mail it. I guess I am screwed......so close, yet so far.....and I am sitting in a training class all friggin' day, 9-5. So, I would have to hit a long lunch, really long to make it up there and back. Marz is only open 8-5, M-F......I guess I could bail early on Friday around 1:00, drive up, get there by 3-3:30PM and then just hang out somewhere around there and come back after traffic settles.....anything notable to do around the Valencia area? What time would traffic die down on a Friday? 7:00PM be OK?
    There's Six Flags Magic Mountain, but bring a bulletproof vest. Head over to Burbank, there's a shopping center on your left if you're going southbound. You'll find restaurants, movies, shops, etc...ice cream....it's freakin' hot in socal.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    813
    [QUOTE=xdefx] I am just getting a new steer tube pressed into my Z1, it's $50 if you bring it in, $65 plus shipping each way if you mail it. QUOTE]

    so you're talking about a difference of around $35? I'd gladly pay somebody that to sit in 405 traffic for me on a brutal round trip like that. That's like 4 area codes worth of commuters between costa mesa and valencia. Add up your time, plus gas each way... not worth it IMO.

  11. #11
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,172
    drive the 5 freeway.......leave way early so you beat the morning traffic....like 5 am....you should get there by 6:30 am.......get your fork done at marz....then go out and eat some breakfast about 9:15 leave and start heading back on the 5 freeway

    listen to 1070am radio for traffic updates
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xdefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by SprocketHead
    There's Six Flags Magic Mountain, but bring a bulletproof vest. Head over to Burbank, there's a shopping center on your left if you're going southbound. You'll find restaurants, movies, shops, etc...ice cream....it's freakin' hot in socal.
    Cool, thanks. Yeah, it was 98 degrees here in the midwest yesterday, we're getting some heat of our own. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xdefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    272
    [QUOTE=burner]
    Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    I am just getting a new steer tube pressed into my Z1, it's $50 if you bring it in, $65 plus shipping each way if you mail it. QUOTE]

    so you're talking about a difference of around $35? I'd gladly pay somebody that to sit in 405 traffic for me on a brutal round trip like that. That's like 4 area codes worth of commuters between costa mesa and valencia. Add up your time, plus gas each way... not worth it IMO.
    Point taken (most of you seem pretty hostile about this traffic discussion I'm not a big fan either, just trying to get an idea on what to expect).

    In addition to price, 10 min turn around for drop in vs 3 weeks for something shipped.

  14. #14
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,267
    Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    I guess I could bail early on Friday around 1:00, drive up, get there by 3-3:30PM and then just hang out somewhere around there and come back after traffic settles.....anything notable to do around the Valencia area? What time would traffic die down on a Friday? 7:00PM be OK?
    Southbound in the PM won't be too bad, most traffic will be going the same way you drive out to Marz. But kill some time to make sure. There's Performance Bikes and the outdoor Valencia Towne Center mall about 10 min. away, for gawking at 16 yr. old girls shopping at Abercrombie while you sip on your ice blended mocha. Ah, summer...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    736
    Thats a good idea, if you're gonna be here all week, mail it monday ( from OC) and it will get back to by friday, Shipping shouldnt be that much, i dont spose, and you can spend the drive time at the beach!

  16. #16
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    Cool, thanks. Yeah, it was 98 degrees here in the midwest yesterday, we're getting some heat of our own. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
    A high of 98 degrees in Valencia would be welcome relief from what we've been getting here lately...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xdefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    272
    OK, I am getting out of work (training) early tomorrow around 2:00 and plan on driving up to Valencia at that time. That should be OK correct? Probably 1.5hr drive? I just need to get there and give them enough time to switch the steer tube. I will call them before I go to make sure they can do it. I will hang out in Valencia and come back around 7-8 after I grab some dinner.....Mapquest has me on the 405 to 5 and on up from there, but most is on the 405....

  18. #18
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    OK, I am getting out of work (training) early tomorrow around 2:00 and plan on driving up to Valencia at that time. That should be OK correct? Probably 1.5hr drive? I just need to get there and give them enough time to switch the steer tube. I will call them before I go to make sure they can do it. I will hang out in Valencia and come back around 7-8 after I grab some dinner.....Mapquest has me on the 405 to 5 and on up from there, but most is on the 405....
    I would avoid the 405 at that time. That swing by the airport and Sepulveda Pass is a killer in the afternoon commute.

    Here is the route that "I" would take:

    405 North to the 55 North

    55 North to the I-5 North

    I-5 North to 605 North (I know, a million "Norths"....)

    605 North to 210 West

    210 West to I-5 North

    I-5 North to Valencia

    The only tricky part to me is on the 210 in Pasadena area where you have to get over to the FAR right two lanes to stay on the 210 or you'll end up on the 134. Just pay attention and you'll be fine.

    More miles, but far less traffic at that time. Leaving Irvine at 2:00 p.m. on a weekday and making it in 1.5 hours will be fortunate to say the least no matter which route you take, but you have no chance on the 405. Avoid it like a plague. Trust me on this one, I drove it to Valencia on the afternoon commute for 10 years.

    I live about 5 miles north of the Marz facility and can make it deep into Irvine in an hour straight through on I-5 on a Sunday morning, but you're in weekday traffic, so you have to be smart and know the alternate routes to avoid traffic..

    Wait til 7 p.m. for your return trip and you'll be fine, barring accidents.

    If you want to hang out and eat, the mall has some good choices at the far west end. If you want the best meal to be had in the area, the Salt Creek Grille cannot be beat, but it isn't cheap. If you want to save a few bucks, BJ's is right in the same area and is pretty decent. Otherwise, you'll find lots of the usual fare also nearby and can choose for yourself.

    JMHO,
    J
    Last edited by jeffj; 07-25-2006 at 02:14 PM.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xdefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I would avoid the 405 at that time. That swing by the airport and Sepulveda Pass is a killer in the afternoon commute.

    Here is the route that "I" would take:

    405 North to the 55 North

    55 North to the I-5 North

    I-5 North to 605 North (I know, a million "Norths"....)

    605 North to 210 West

    210 West to I-5 North

    I-5 North to Valencia

    The only tricky part to me is on the 210 in Pasadena area where you have to get over to the FAR right two lanes to stay on the 210 or you'll end up on the 134. Just pay attention and you'll be fine.

    More miles, but far less traffic at that time. Leaving Irvine at 2:00 p.m. on a weekday and making it in 1.5 hours will be fortunate to say the least no matter which route you take, but you have no chance on the 405. Avoid it like a plague. Trust me on this one, I drove it to Valencia on the afternoon commute for 10 years.

    I live about 5 miles north of the Marz facility and can make it deep into Irvine in an hour straight through on I-5 on a Sunday morning, but you're in weekday traffic, so you have to be smart and know the alternate routes to avoid traffic..

    Wait til 7 p.m. for your return trip and you'll be fine, barring accidents.

    If you want to hang out and eat, the mall has some good choices at the far west end. If you want the best meal to be had in the area, the Salt Creek Grille cannot be beat, but it isn't cheap. If you want to save a few bucks, BJ's is right in the same area and is pretty decent. Otherwise, you'll find lots of the usual fare also nearby and can choose for yourself.

    JMHO,
    J
    Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the info. I may and try to leave a little earlier, depends on agenda. I will take your route, I'll make sure to pay attention when I get up to the 210. So, I will just pick up the Mapquest directions after getting back on the 5 to finish the route. I will follow the shorter (405) route on the way back. Again, thanks a ton!!!!

    Thanks for the food tip also, company gives me $55 for dinner out here, so I will check out the Salt Creek and see if I can swing that....
    Last edited by xdefx; 07-25-2006 at 02:41 PM.

  20. #20
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    Thanks for the food tip also, company gives me $55 for dinner out here, so I will check out the Salt Creek and see if I can swing that....
    That'll cover it easily. It's just west of the parking structure and you can smell it from there (and I mean that in a good way - I'd wear that for aftershave if I could).

    Everything is good there, but if you're in the mood for something a little different, try the House salad and a pork chop dinner.

    J

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xdefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    That'll cover it easily. It's just west of the parking structure and you can smell it from there (and I mean that in a good way - I'd wear that for aftershave if I could).

    Everything is good there, but if you're in the mood for something a little different, try the House salad and a pork chop dinner.

    J
    Mission accomplished, new steer tube, good eats, minimal traffic !!! Thanks J !!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •