mtbr member
    May 2007

Martha's Grove Question

I ride the trail a couple of times a month and always hang on by the skin of my teeth at the first difficult section (the rutty little drop at the first cone). I finally learned that it is pretty easy to avoid the ruts by using the rocks in the middle as stair steps, but then I come to the drop at the water break. I usually roll off the left side and have made it clean all but once but it usually is not a thing of beauty. I think some trail work was just done there and some rocks were put on the downhill side of the water break. I am thinking a roll down these might be pretty smooth. Would appreciate any hints from someone who makes that section look easy.
    Thx,
    Dave

TCB
    mtbr member
    Lean way back off your saddle, maintain a moderate speed throughout the section, if you go to slow you will get caught in a rut, avoid hard braking and use more front brake then your back brake, maintaining momentum is the key to clearing that section or any rock garden.
    Once you are confident going through that section you might want to spice it up and try wheelie dropping the rock ledge.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the input. I am pretty good about getting back and down along with maintaining some speed. The only part that gets me at times is the drop off the water break because there never seems to be enough time to set up for a wheelie drop and there is an off camber turn at the bottom of the jump. I think some SDMBA folks did some work on the section recently and thought maybe they put some additional rocks on the downhill side to assist with the drop. Curious to know if this was the case and if anyone uses the rocks. For now, I just get way back and try to roll off it onto a suitable line.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Use the rocks Luke.....(said in Obi-Wan Kenobi's voice)
    It wasn't me