mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Marshall Cyn, La Verne 9/28-29/13

There will be a large horse event (100 horses) using the main Marshall Canyon Trails Saturday and Sunday, competing at natural obstacles. It would probably be a good weekend to ride else where

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the heads up. Bonelli is having leg one of a Triple Crown Series that weekend as well in case anyone thought about going there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Good job! Great Bikers at Marshall Canyon

I wanted to thank all of you mountain bikers who were at Marshall Canyon this weekend and were so great with our riders/events. Our second obstacle on Saturday was a mountain biker flying down the trail at a horse. For our advanced riders he was instructed to fly by without stopping. We had a lot of funny stories in camp that night. With the exception of our obstacle biker, ALL were so considerate. We can keep trails open by sharing. Below is an email from one of our competitors:
    "Thank you, and your hard working, friendly, helpful crew for putting
    together a wonderful SCE event and weekend. Dan and I had a great time
    seeing some beautiful country, meeting new friends, and encountering
    some very creative obstacles. Well done!
    If there is a mountain biking club in Marshall Cyn. that you have
    contact with, please pass on how wonderful the bikers were that we met
    on the trail (with the exception of the guy at obstacle #2... ).
    They've done a lot to make those multi-use trails hospitable to both
    types of riders. Much appreciated."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    That's been a long work in progress. Back in 1991, one of the two horse ranches in Marshall Cyn.,( I think they are both gone, replaced by a newer one), one was very anti bike, the other Marshall Canyon Stables, was pro multi use, well the anti bike ranch posted illegal "no bikes allowed" signs throughout the part, which after the LA County Parks and Recreation were alerted of, they backed the closure, all without no open forum or any public meeting. My wife took the bull by the horns and arranged a public meeting with all users welcome, mtn bikers, hikers, equestrians with the LA County Supervisor, officals from the Parks and Rec, as well as top members from IMBA in attendance with about 250 people. We, the multi use coalition caused quite a stir and got the signs taken down as long as we formed a bike patrol, which we did and had around 100 volunteer members.
    We organized trail maintenance, trash pick up, fun rides with horses and bikes, even made it on the cover of the LA Sunday Times with a color picture and a great story.
    It's great to see how far Marshall Canyon has come since then. I live in Big Bear now(used to live on Birdie Dr., across for the park) and only get to ride there probably once a year.