mtbr member

Marshall Canyon "Improved" Again

Somebody's taken a bulldozer to the trail just past the stables at Marshall Canyon. Can't we put a potato up their tailpipe or something?

Keep the Zen
    Jan 2005

Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Oldman
    Somebody's taken a bulldozer to the trail just past the stables at Marshall Canyon. Can't we put a potato up their tailpipe or something?
    It gets done twice a year for the horse back riders. Yea it stinks.

mtbr member
    It was just plowed a month ago, then again two weeks ago. Maybe this is good thing and it won't be leveled for another year. Yea right.

At least the poison oak is far from my elbows.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by SScheetz
    It was just plowed a month ago, then again two weeks ago. Maybe this is good thing and it won't be leveled for another year. Yea right.

At least the poison oak is far from my elbows.
    Yup, I rode right up behind the bulldozer 2 weeks or so ago. Some nice trail turned into fireroad. Oh well, its still beautiful scenery, but I do wish that I'd have had a potato....
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Just another Homer

A coupleyears ago

I went to a city council meeting and asked if this could be avoided as we considered it a detriment to the natural beauty of the trail and scenery. I was then told that the parks and recreation department was in charge of this area and to take my concerns to them in a printed form. I did and found out that the people who are in charge of parks & recreation are equestrians themselves and they were the ones petitioning for the grading of the trails.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    I went to a city council meeting and asked if this could be avoided as we considered it a detriment to the natural beauty of the trail and scenery. I was then told that the parks and recreation department was in charge of this area and to take my concerns to them in a printed form. I did and found out that the people who are in charge of parks & recreation are equestrians themselves and they were the ones petitioning for the grading of the trails.
    Has anyone noticed who the local parking restrictions are directed to? ..and that the thou-shalt-not sign at the bottom of the trail is an admonishment to mountain bikers ONLY? ..and who the yield-the-trail sign at the river crossing has at the bottom of the trail-use totem pole?

Are we REALLY more obnoxious than horseshit, or is it just because we don't go to city council meetings?

Anyway, if those bulldozer people want to move some dirt, how about doing it where it might do some good, at the bottom of the Monroe Truck Trail up Glendora Mountain Road?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the grading. I was just there today to do the lollipop and the place is REALLY FLAT. Not that Marshall Canyon was much of a climb anyways, but it is now almost road-smooth. I don't really know how this helps equestrians, as there was pretty much nothing for me to do but fly down the trail. I mean, banked berms (a little soft, but still doable after a rain) and everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DtEW
    ...banked berms (a little soft, but still doable after a rain) and everything.
    I wonder what the trail looked like after you went thru those soft, doable turns after the rain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well, save for the stream crossings and sandbeds, nothing was actually wet, especially the forementioned berms. Hell, there were even golfers on the greens. They were just soft, as in loose, and as in needing a real rainstorm to compact. Nothing I can do about that, much less rain-related precautions.
    Last edited by DtEW; 11-11-2005 at 01:05 PM.