Thread: Marshall Canyon

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Marshall Canyon

Hit Marshall this morning. I remember when there would only be a few bikes and a couple of horses. Man its getting congested out there. Horses, Hikers Dogs, Bikes. Although most people on the trail are cool there are still some that dont understand the rules. Yield to those climbing and yield to horses. Seen to many riders just come barreling down and cutting riders off and scarying horses. Its only a matter of time till trails get shut down to bikers because of this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah there are definitely people who haven't learned their trail etiquette. Also, it may just be me, but it seems like most of the problem comes from BMX riders (the 12 year olds only in it cause its cool at the moment, not anyone serious about it) who think they're BMX riding is somehow cooler than those of us on XC bikes and because of that, they get right of way. And I've seen diligently trying to harass horses, now that's definitely not cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I havent been to marshall yet but Ive never seen a bmx'r on the trails. I just find trash left behind by morons. I picked up a set of matches today, someone thought dry brush was a good place to leave them.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ever since they opened up the "Claremont Wilderness Park" it has become a zoo. I've been riding Marshall since the mid 80's, those were the good old days, although it's still a great place to ride. I live in Big Bear now, so I only get to ride there a couple times a year.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Ever since they opened up the "Claremont Wilderness Park" it has become a zoo. I've been riding Marshall since the mid 80's, those were the good old days, although it's still a great place to ride. I live in Big Bear now, so I only get to ride there a couple times a year.
    Hey Jeff, have you ridden Exploration recently?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hey Hawg, if you're talking about exploration trail in Running Springs, no, I have never ridden it, although I hear it's pretty awesome. We just have so many rides and a ever increasing trail network up here, so I pretty much mostly ride up here.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Hey Hawg, if you're talking about exploration trail in Running Springs, no, I have never ridden it, although I hear it's pretty awesome. We just have so many rides and a ever increasing trail network up here, so I pretty much mostly ride up here.
    Wow, I'm a little shocked since you're a mountain local. You really should hit it, it could end up being a regularly haunt on your list of rides. It's that good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I use to ride there about 10 years ago and had too many close calls with hikers! Ended up moving to high desert and the trails are endless up here and not crowded at all... Happy Trails
    JUST DO IT

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    I use to ride there about 10 years ago and had too many close calls with hikers! Ended up moving to high desert and the trails are endless up here and not crowded at all... Happy Trails
    Where abouts in the high desert are you located?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Apple Valley, Ca....Victorville area
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    I will never ride marshall on weekends. On the other hand, I don't go to marshall if I want to go riding bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Rode Marshall this morning and had a blast. It was only my second weekend out riding "proper" mountain bike trails. There was a dude riding up one of the downhill single track sections. That seemed odd and could have been a bad scene.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Actually went back out today. Rode Marshall then looped down to Claremont then back up again. It actually was a lot better this time around. Majority of the hikers were on the Claremont side. There was a guy that took a bad spill at the top of Marshall right as you drop into the singletrack. I believe he went OTB a few minutes before we got there and got pretty messed up. Ran into the paramedics as they were coming up. Talk was that the guy might've been medevaced. Hope he's ok.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I rode Marshall yesterday AM (Friday) and really open trails. When I would ride on the weekends, I would usually start around 8am and miss all the hikers.
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Evo 29er
    2013 Specialized Carve SS
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/231584

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Covi101 View Post
    I rode Marshall yesterday AM (Friday) and really open trails. When I would ride on the weekends, I would usually start around 8am and miss all the hikers.
    I was there around 9:30 ish this morning and have to say it was pretty quiet. Maybe 5 bikes and three horses.

mtbr member
    I have ridden on Marshall a handful of times and always wondered what the downhill etiquette is.

I know to yield to horses. Check.
    But, how about when riding downhill? Do you treat it like the rules of the road. stick to the right? How about for corners turning to the right. You need to go wide to recover forcing you to the left.

There has been a few times I have yelled "Downhill" to warn hikers or riders going up. Is that sufficient enough?

I don't ever wish to crash into somebody going up or downhill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I too ride Marshall once in a while. I would say you always yield to Hikers, regardless if you are going down or up, as well as Horses. If a trail is multi-use, then you have to control your speed as you never know if there are hikers, and once again, they always have the right of way. I think any kind of warning you can give is good, even a bell, so others know you are coming. Good on you for trying to be careful.

Sergeant Spandex
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    Rode Marshall this morning and had a blast. It was only my second weekend out riding "proper" mountain bike trails. There was a dude riding up one of the downhill single track sections. That seemed odd and could have been a bad scene.
    I know this is an old thread but this caught my eye.

There aren't any one way trails in Marshall, if you have the fitness to ride up it then it is fair game. This is why we need to look out for other users including other cyclists.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisfoto View Post
    I know this is an old thread but this caught my eye.

There aren't any one way trails in Marshall, if you have the fitness to ride up it then it is fair game. This is why we need to look out for other users including other cyclists.
    It caught your eye for good reason... I don't know if it is the weather or what but it seems like this spring that we have alot of folks showing up and running the trail as if it were the Mammoth Kamakazi. My wife and I have been run off the trail when climbing twice over the past several months by some downhill wannabe jackwagons which is not typical. I have also seen a few kids lately on BMX bikes acting up and at one point, we had some moron with a shovel building jump ramps in the middle of the stream beds with rock reinforcement.

People need to understand that Marshall is fully multi-use and not bike specific. Horses, hikers, people with baby strollers, runners and folks just out walking their dogs are all using Marshall every day. If you want a more intense downhill experience, you can head over to Webb or GMR and get your fill. You can also shuttle them if you can't or are not into climbing.

29er for the Soul
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubsanchez View Post
    I have ridden on Marshall a handful of times and always wondered what the downhill etiquette is.

There has been a few times I have yelled "Downhill" to warn hikers or riders going up. Is that sufficient enough?

I don't ever wish to crash into somebody going up or downhill.
    Try one of these. Coghlans Bear Bell - Sport Chalet

Put it in your camelback on the way up and then on the way down mount it on your handlebars. The constant ring, ring, ring is annoying, but it gets the job done.
    So Cal Rod