Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Marshal Cyn cleared and groomed

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Hurricane Jeff 
#1 ·
Hats off to the workers who cleaned up Marshal. Son and I rode it last Sunday and was pleasantly surprised at the work. The trail seems so have been widened or maybe just looks that way cause all the poison Oak they cleared on both sides but it truly is much cleaner. The ground has been groomed flat and probably more for all the jiggers who frequent the trail but regardless is nice. Thanks to the people responsible for the work!

#4 ·
I was there on Saturday and the trail has a very different feel to it. A few of the areas just below the horse stables were very loose. But, as was said earlier the trail is definitely wider and smoother. Once we get a good rain it should be good to go.

#6 ·
Interesting ride tonight.
Riding up the steep part of the trail (before the Horse troughs) I saw a Gray Fox, Never seen one of those before.
It stayed on the trail in front of me approx 30 yards then walked into the bushes.
I turned around at the troughs and went down the same trail and saw the Fox again. I stopped to get my phone out to take a picture and it walked back into the brush.
Rode a bit further down the trail and saw a Mountain Lion cross the trail! The cat was about 70lbs. and could have given a s__t about me!!
Watched it casually walk up the hillside toward some houses and I made it down the freshly groomed trail in what felt like 20 seconds.

#8 ·
Personally, I dont like what they did. I liked the trail rough in spots with some technical spots here and there. Remember the cool tree roots on that short steep climb??? Was always fun to try and clear riding up and then flying over on the way down .... they're gone. :mad:

I talked to a guy on a quad riding the trail. Apparently they ruined (my opinion) the trail because an LA County board of supervisor had a horse ride there on a Sunday. He didnt want any of his constituents to get hurt riding their horses because of a "non-smooth" trail - got to secure the votes!

Anyway, that trail was pretty much the same for many many years - until they ruined it :nono:

#10 ·
I rode Marshall Cyn / Claremont Wilderness Park yesterday for the first time in about 10 years.
Rode from the school on Wheeler, up to the top of Potato Mtn, back down through CWP, down Cobal, up Burbank to Stevens Ranch and down "Big Dipper" ( and "Little Dipper"thats the names we used for the two switchback trails) back to the school.
While Marshall to Potato was awesome as always, CWP was a huge disappointment. It used to be hardly anyone on the trails, now people on cell phones, ipods, coffee mugs and power walking with weights. Although I went slow around the people, do they really need to take up the whole trail? Granted it was a holiday, CWP is ruined, imo. Too bad, it used to be a great place to ride and Im sure it stillis at times.
Anyway, thats my report on my ride, had a great time on my former local trails.

#12 ·
Not trying to make you, or anyone else to stay away, Marshall Cyn is still awesome like always, maybe even better since they cleared out tons of poison oak that was along side the trails. CWP, isn't what it used to be because of the over crowding, which I imagine is more of a weekend/ holiday thing.
I would highly recommend this area to anyone, it has great trails, beautiful scenery, lots of animal encounters and riding for just about any level,.....just steer clear on weekends and holidays and if you do ride there, be an "ambassador"( no pun intended ) to the sport and respect the trails and the other trail users.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.