mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Mark Reynold's parents file wrongful death suit against Orange County

I just heard on National Public (Corporate) Radio driving home that Mark Reynold's parents have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Orange County. They claim the county didn't adequately warn us against the dangers of mountain lions.

Fueled by Wahoo's

That's just plain silly.

No offense to Mark (or Anne), but I hope the parents don't get anything. We all take calculated and educated risks when we ride. What else could the County do besides post signs (which happen to exist at the entrance to Whiting)? Should they post a ranger there during park hours, or better yet 24/7 to stand there and yell at everyone who enters the park?

We need to take some responsibility for our own actions.

D

pewpewpew Moderator
    unbelievable.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Clearly, the county should have killed all the mountain lions.

Mark is probably rolling over in his grave.

Mmmmmm Beer!
    I'm going to file a lawsuit against Orange County as well. I only drove my car twenty thousand miles last year and the tires already need to be replaced. I think the streets are to rough! Too many red lights too!
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

I <3 Dirt
    I got bit by several mosquitos and have poison sumac on my leg after a trip to Mission Trails. I'm going to sue the city of San Diego, because this tragedy wasn't prevented.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Stupidity Raises Its Ugly Head

Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons
    I just heard on National Public (Corporate) Radio driving home that Mark Reynold's parents have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Orange County. They claim the county didn't adequately warn us against the dangers of mountain lions.
    I can believe it. Some people are just ambulance chasers. Where I ride there is a big freakin sign with pictures of what a mountain lion looks like. And, it will be our tax dollars paying for this. Idiots.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Weak!

This is weak! Frivolous lawsuits just hit an all time low.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Glad to Be Alive
    that's effing bull$hiat
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

34N 118W

not enough?

I guess having hundreds of friends and supporters show up to ride and celebrate in your honor isn't enough. What a nice way to be memorialized....until now.

Some pics from last year's gathering (disregard second half w/my bike!)

Weekend photos: Memorial & Pink rides

Play all day
    I recently got this nasty scar from a crash on the trails. Maybe I should sue, because I didn't see any signs posted at the trailhead that there'd be any big ruts. But then I see mountain lion postings EVERYWHERE. I probably have a better chance at some cash, don't you think? My A$$..

mtbr member

Tort Case

Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    I got bit by several mosquitos and have poison sumac on my leg after a trip to Mission Trails. I'm going to sue the city of San Diego, because this tragedy wasn't prevented.
    I with you, this happens to me all the time in every So Cal county. Any class action lawers out there?

mtbr member

Misguided grief relief

As a parent, I can't imagine the grief his parents are feeling over the loss of thier son. Perhaps it's a misguided belief that a big payday will avenge thier son's death or maybe it's just greed. Either way, my guess is that rider knew the risks as we all do, and died doing what he loved. I'm sure he would not approve of his parents actions.

I would not be surprised to see the county buckle under and shut down wilderness parks every time some idiotic hiker sees a bobcat and comes screaming back to the rangers that they were almost attacked by a mountain lion.

This really highlights the need for tort reform in this country.

If someone knows the parents on a personal level, they may want to give them the perspective of thier son as a mountain biker.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    By my count, there are two signs.
    At the entrance...there is a sign..."Warning: Mountain lion country...
    and about a mile in....another sign..with a picture of a cat on it! with another warning...
    these people are in much pain though....

Old Enough to Know Better
    Jan 2004

Completely frivolous!

I am sorry for the parents' loss and their grief, but this is completely without merit. There are signs at all the Orange Co. parks I've ridden that might possibly see a cougar once a decade about "This is Mountain Lion Habitat", there has been wide spread publicity in the mtb community here about mountain lions, etc. I don't see how any regular mountain biker in OC could possibly be aware of the potential of encountering a mtn lion at an OC "wilderness" park.

I hereby volunteer as an "expert" witness for the defense as to the level of awareness regular riders in OC have about the mountain lion "threat" here.

May this cased be tossed into the litigation junk pile before the county has to waste too much $$$ fighting it.

rm -fr *
    I didn't believe it until -

here

Action Sports Trader

Class action

Hey, together we should file a class action lawsuit against the county. God knows that we have all fallen from a rut that the rangers didn't fix or from a rock that was in the trail. Wow, we will all be rich$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. With all that money we can then buy whitting ranch and put a free ride park there. I love America, and the justice system!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Maybe there's another motive?

Count me in as part of the group that doesn't think they should get any cash. Like many of you have mentioned, this is a known hazard, and there are signs. Plus, this seems like a pretty flukey thing.

But maybe this lawsuit could force the state to revisit the absolute prohibition on mountain lion hunting. They aren't endangered, and the ban on hunting them is so absolute that it interferes with the management of endangered species like bighorn sheep.

cask conditioned
    Interesting thread over here.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    Mark Reynolds was an adult. His parents should have no more fiduciary ineterest than I do. Look at the Terry Schiavo mess in which courts rule parents can't stop the willful killing of their grown child.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    "willful killing"???
    Maybe on Air America. Everywhere else in the world, no.

Waiting to exhale.
    I'm suing Charmin. I used their 2 ply toilet paper to wipe my ass and Sh!t still got on my fingers! They are going down!
    Those bastards didn't warn me on the packaging about the possibility of getting **** on my fingers when their TP rips!
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

Unshaven Yak

In on the Charmin suit

Lets make that a class action suit! I hate charmin for the exact same reason...that & the way it rolls up & leaves charmin worms on the back of the rim! & with any moisture down there, you're liable to make contact of the type mentioned above.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    I don't think the family should sue. However, everyone deals with death differently and this is how his family has chosen to deal with it. I wouldn't want my family to sue if I died the way he did, but that is just me.

If I died at the claws and fangs of a mountain lion and my family wanted to do something, I would just want them to lobby for more signage at trailheads. There are plenty of signs in Orange County warning about mtn lions. However, in LA country the signs aren't as obvious. Most of regular riders do know about mtn lions and what to do because we are so into our sport. But there are many casual riders out there like my house mates who just go once in a blue moon and didn't know as much I found out.