Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 42 of 42
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    LOL awesome! I will let you know if I ever run!
    Google "Smedley Butler". That is all, for now.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2
    Probably just part of agenda 21.

  3. #28
    Certifiably Crazy
    Reputation: Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    422
    Quick question, is there a way to ride to the Sycamore Test Facility? I keep on seeing it on the map. Or is it off limits? North of the 52 close to the Marine sign, there is a trail with no signage; I rode it for about a mile but wasn't sure where it connected to.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    Quick question, is there a way to ride to the Sycamore Test Facility? I keep on seeing it on the map. Or is it off limits? North of the 52 close to the Marine sign, there is a trail with no signage; I rode it for about a mile but wasn't sure where it connected to.
    If you are a Marine, there's a way.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

  5. #30
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    No horse'n round
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,145
    Before the Marine invasion we rode to the rocket engine test site all the time. Interesting to see.

    Lets see, when did the base convert from Navy to USMC? That's when.

  6. #31
    ocd
    ocd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Before the Marine invasion we rode to the rocket engine test site all the time. Interesting to see.

    Lets see, when did the base convert from Navy to USMC? That's when.
    weren't you the guy who was going to "ride where he wants when he wants, ride like the wind"? Whatever happened with that?

  7. #32
    I'm your density
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,591
    Not long before the crackdown there were posts on meetup.com inviting people to hike there and admitted it would be trespassing.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

  8. #33
    Certifiably Crazy
    Reputation: Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    Not long before the crackdown there were posts on meetup.com inviting people to hike there and admitted it would be trespassing.
    That makes sense. I found a bunch of hiking pictures and wasn't sure on the legality of it, which is why I asked. Thanks, guys!
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

  9. #34
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    No horse'n round
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd View Post
    weren't you the guy who was going to "ride where he wants when he wants, ride like the wind"? Whatever happened with that?
    Yep, that's me... have not stopped or been stopped yet!

    Keep riding, leave the keyboard at home!

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by h82crash View Post
    So sad. Sycamore is one of my favorites. Here's an idea. The military is always looking for ways to connect with the community. Since that is the most remote, useless edge of the base, maybe the Marines can set it aside as a mountain bike park open to the public. Ooh, and a parking lot right behind those houses on Medina.
    I have been stationed at Pendleton for about 7 years now and just started getting into mtbing this last winter and absolutely love it. Just so you guys are aware the reason that end of base is the most deserted is because it is all designated live gunnery ranges. How bad would it look for a rider or a group of riders to get wasted by Un-Exploded Ordinance (UXO), the blame wouldn't be on the riders, it would be on the base for not keeping tight security. Not to mention it is a military installation, I ride on base, but I know where I am riding(not through a live range lol).

    On this note I have been saying for years that they need to open up an area for MX and the sorts as well, pretty sure last time I checked we have the room. Other people have been trying to push programs like this as well but end up getting shot down by the fed's and environmentalist's(which makes no sense)

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastagrog View Post
    I have been stationed at Pendleton for about 7 years now and just started getting into mtbing this last winter and absolutely love it. Just so you guys are aware the reason that end of base is the most deserted is because it is all designated live gunnery ranges. How bad would it look for a rider or a group of riders to get wasted by Un-Exploded Ordinance (UXO), the blame wouldn't be on the riders, it would be on the base for not keeping tight security. Not to mention it is a military installation, I ride on base, but I know where I am riding(not through a live range lol).

    On this note I have been saying for years that they need to open up an area for MX and the sorts as well, pretty sure last time I checked we have the room. Other people have been trying to push programs like this as well but end up getting shot down by the fed's and environmentalist's(which makes no sense)
    Thanks for your service to our country!!!! And thanks for clearing things up. Feds and Environmentalists seldom make any sense and make a formidable team against outdoor recreation on "our" federal lands. Bill

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastagrog View Post
    I have been stationed at Pendleton for about 7 years now and just started getting into mtbing this last winter and absolutely love it. Just so you guys are aware the reason that end of base is the most deserted is because it is all designated live gunnery ranges. How bad would it look for a rider or a group of riders to get wasted by Un-Exploded Ordinance (UXO), the blame wouldn't be on the riders, it would be on the base for not keeping tight security. Not to mention it is a military installation, I ride on base, but I know where I am riding(not through a live range lol).

    On this note I have been saying for years that they need to open up an area for MX and the sorts as well, pretty sure last time I checked we have the room. Other people have been trying to push programs like this as well but end up getting shot down by the fed's and environmentalist's(which makes no sense)
    The only problem I have with your explanation is that for years before, when the Navy had jurisdiction over Miramar, those trails existed and were ridden continuously without one single ordnance mishap. This is pertaining to the trails on Miramar, far away from Pendleton. Just like the entire thread is addressing. Personally, I would never expect the Marines to open trails on Pendleton. That sounds pretty impossible to me, from several perspectives. Miramar, with the trails on its' perimeter that have existed for decades or longer with no incidents, is another story altogether.

    Anything is possible, but following your reasoning, all of the western half of MTRP should be closed down due to the possibility of unexploded ordnance that is still there, somewhere. There's signs up to that effect warning park users not to pick up anything resembling ammo or munitions. The park used to be part of Camp Elliot, an artillery range part, to be exact..
    So was much of what is now Tierrasanta, too.

    But the park is still open, and the trails that skirt Miramar, well one of them is 100 years old...no ordnance mishaps have occurred.

    Like I said, when the Navy had jurisdiction there were no problems for anybody on those trails unless they tried to penetrate deeper toward those live fire ranges. Then the USMC security would intercept them.

    I think this change in enforcement is entirely the work of the new commanding officer and operations officers of Miramar, under the USMC.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

  13. #38
    ocd
    ocd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    The only problem I have with your explanation is that for years before, when the Navy had jurisdiction over Miramar, those trails existed and were ridden continuously without one single ordnance mishap. This is pertaining to the trails on Miramar, far away from Pendleton. Just like the entire thread is addressing. Personally, I would never expect the Marines to open trails on Pendleton. That sounds pretty impossible to me, from several perspectives. Miramar, with the trails on its' perimeter that have existed for decades or longer with no incidents, is another story altogether.

    Anything is possible, but following your reasoning, all of the western half of MTRP should be closed down due to the possibility of unexploded ordnance that is still there, somewhere. There's signs up to that effect warning park users not to pick up anything resembling ammo or munitions. The park used to be part of Camp Elliot, an artillery range part, to be exact..
    So was much of what is now Tierrasanta, too.

    But the park is still open, and the trails that skirt Miramar, well one of them is 100 years old...no ordnance mishaps have occurred.

    Like I said, when the Navy had jurisdiction there were no problems for anybody on those trails unless they tried to penetrate deeper toward those live fire ranges. Then the USMC security would intercept them.

    I think this change in enforcement is entirely the work of the new commanding officer and operations officers of Miramar, under the USMC.
    what you're doing is trying to blame a complete and utter trails plan by the city, on the marines for quasi-enforcing their boundaries.

    Want to complain? Go to the city, your concil member, local meetings and start complaining.

    "nothing will change"... B1llshit. There's a seat open for a "user group representative" on the MTRP CAC, after CAC members said for years "no". How did this happen? By complaining in a manner that was both documented and effective, obviously.

    There's a way to change things in the long run... put yourself and others like you in a position to influence the change.

    Simply saying "oh the marines kicked us out for no good reason" doesn't make sense.

  14. #39
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    No horse'n round
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,145
    "Simply saying "oh the marines kicked us out for no good reason" doesn't make sense."

    Why not? Especially since it's that simple, and that true. There isn't any bomb/explosives in the Stowe Trail corridor, if so, it would have been found LONG ago. Environmental issues? What are the valid and sound reasons why the Stowe trail corridor is closed? When the Marines entertained the ideal of handing the land over, they wanted the city to pay millions. Explosives/bombs were not a part of the discussion, the "purchase" it was an unsuccessful "hold up". Now that the city won't pay, the "we need to protect the citizens" BS comes back.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post
    Thanks for your service to our country!!!! And thanks for clearing things up. Feds and Environmentalists seldom make any sense and make a formidable team against outdoor recreation on "our" federal lands. Bill
    Thank you! ^^

    Sorry for my confusion about which base the thread was talking about, however a restricted area is still a restricted area to unauthorized personnel, I know they have the rifle range back on that part of base as well facing the east.

    And dont think for a second that I drank the Kool-aid and became a robot. I cant stand a good 90% of California's land use laws, I'm originally from Central Oregon and land use up there is a lot more lax. Though rules are still rules, laws still laws and the only way to change them(already mentioned) is to get into a position of political influence to fight back on the BS and Bureaucracy this state seams to welcome aboard with open arms.

  16. #41
    ocd
    ocd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    526

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    "Simply saying "oh the marines kicked us out for no good reason" doesn't make sense."

    Why not? Especially since it's that simple, and that true. There isn't any bomb/explosives in the Stowe Trail corridor, if so, it would have been found LONG ago. Environmental issues? What are the valid and sound reasons why the Stowe trail corridor is closed? When the Marines entertained the ideal of handing the land over, they wanted the city to pay millions. Explosives/bombs were not a part of the discussion, the "purchase" it was an unsuccessful "hold up". Now that the city won't pay, the "we need to protect the citizens" BS comes back.
    you ride there all the time, what are you complaining about? Doesn't sound like you got kicked out at all.

    Why do you ride there?
    Because the city has failed at planning and implementing a proper trails plan and you have nowhere else to ride.

  17. #42
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    No horse'n round
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd View Post
    you ride there all the time, what are you complaining about? Doesn't sound like you got kicked out at all.

    Why do you ride there?
    Because the city has failed at planning and implementing a proper trails plan and you have nowhere else to ride.
    No complaints here. I have found a way to make the most of it. I ride there because it is close to home. My only run in with the boys in green was approx 3 years ago. While lecturing me on "environmental sensitivity", the grunt's 4 wheel ATV was leaking/dripping gas from it's tank. Once that was brought to his attention, he KNEW he was the fool and needed to get "back to base" and secure that leak. Another in the group (a hiker that was stopped at the same time) literally laughed in his face and told him his "mission to secure the base borders" is flawed. I thought was was real funny. Poor little grunt really had nothing to say as the smell of gasoline wafted though the area.

    I am NOT leaning on the argument the "city" has failed me due to lack of planning. When the city (gov't) gets involved, the resulting "trails" ..... well.... you know where that goes. Lets just say I USED to ride DMM, but the various agencies involved there has all but shut it down. Now the Tunnels etc is the land of poachers and "illegal" riders. While I will ride dirt roads it's not preferred. Enjoy your ride where ever that may be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Sycamore Canyon ???
    By rcrscott29 in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-07-2014, 09:21 PM
  2. Sycamore Canyon is burning.
    By Mountain Cycle Shawn in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-17-2013, 12:04 PM
  3. how to connect sycamore canyon to los penasquitos canyon?
    By ihaveagibsonsg in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 09:14 PM
  4. armed marines at sycamore canyon
    By bmxpimp in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 04:30 PM
  5. Sycamore Canyon race
    By DIRT7958 in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •