Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Marines still ACTIVELY/REGULARLY patrolling MTRP?

4K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  twentysevenfive 
#1 · (Edited)
Were the patrols/ticketing a one time display to scare people off?

Although the dorks pictured aren't terribly scary.

Haven't seen an actual patrol or fresh ATV tracks out there during night rides.

Are they out there regularly? Weekly? Monthly?

Or, once a year to as a scare tactic?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
OK.

Marines are amazing human beings and have only done wonderful, beautiful things.

Semper whatever.

I just want to know when they're out in their little carts chasing mountain bikers.
So, go out there and see for yourself.

It would appear from the lack of responses that nobody is going out there.

And, when they take your bike away, you can start another stupid thread about that experience...

#12 ·
I heard from one of the Rangers that a Running Team from Yale was cited at the top of Rusty Barrels a few weeks ago. Over Memorial Day they were out patrolling as well according to SDMA.

Since the big crack down they have put up more signs: so yeah they are out there pretty regularly.

#16 ·

Was being facetious. there's signs but no fences, so wide open. The original poster should just ride it if he/she wants to ride it.

Amazing how those "dorks don't look very scary" but he/she seems to be afraid to go find out if there are patrols or enforcement.

So, sure. Wide open, go ride, stop being scared of those dorks that may or may not be on patrol. Unless of course he/she is scared of being caught. Probably just a slow rider. There's way better trails around anyway, unless you don't have the skill to ride them.

#18 ·
Two Marines in full combat gear armed to the teeth not scary?

Son you must have dropped on your a head too many times out there on your bike

Many of the cool legal trails are accessible from the Sycamore side today

It would be nice if they opened the fire trail from the MG side to the legal trail ie the Mel Brooks system.

The problem is folks seem to feel empowered and head west toward the illegal side.

#19 ·
It would be nice if they opened the fire trail from the MG side to the legal trail ie the Mel Brooks system.

The problem is folks seem to feel empowered and head west toward the illegal side.
FYI none of the Mel Brooks trails are legal, they are all on private land. Be respectful of the neighbors whereever you park, and enjoy them while you can - they may soon build houses there.

#32 · (Edited)
Can anyone confirm whether or not the MCAS boundary includes the top of the ridge line on the "D-back" trail? It doesn't appear to from all of the maps I've seen but I noticed a sign had been placed near the end of the trail where it starts to go downhill. The sign says not to trespass but does not say anything about Military or Government property specifically, but the font and style matches the military signs. I'm looking for a good way to get over to the MB trails from the Poway side of Sycamore without crossing MCAS land, hopefully a route that doesn't suck. You can PM me if you have a way and don't want to post it up.

I also noticed that the "Sidewinder" trail has been hacked up and some non-native cactus has been planted every 10 feet or so on the trail, so much for "restoring the natural habitat".

#39 ·
How do you know that the cactus was non-native? Coastal Prickly Pear for example is a native plant found in San Diego.

Also, if there is a sign that says "No Trespassing," why does it matter who owns the land? If there is a sign it is obviously closed to the public.

#33 ·
The bottom of Diamondback does go onto the Marines property. Where Sidewinder drops down, it is within Sycamore-Gooden Park and the rangers closed that trail down, I thought.

The only way to get from Sycamore-Goodan/Poway down to Fanita that I am aware of is to take the ridge top fire road south from the 67 staging area all the way down. If you climb Cardiac this fire road is directly across the access road. Then you can drop down Slotcar or one of the other trails or ridgelines. This is the only route that I know of that seems uncontested.

#34 ·
The only way to get from Sycamore-Goodan/Poway down to Fanita that I am aware of is to take the ridge top fire road south from the 67 staging area all the way down. If you climb Cardiac this fire road is directly across the access road. Then you can drop down Slotcar or one of the other trails or ridgelines. This is the only route that I know of that seems uncontested.
Yeah, this is the only way I know of as well... And even this route is questionably legal. I know it's not on MCAS land for sure. I believe this is the route the SDMBA has been working to actually make fully legal. It's also not fun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#37 ·
I dont understand why this is even a question. Its like asking, "Was NORAD patrolling the skies when 9/11 happened?" No they were not, but should they have been? YES!! Same thing applies here.. Of coarse they are actively patrolling the area, just like NORAD was patrolling the skies...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.