mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Manzanita Trail 10/31

You're all invited to ride the Manzanita Trail with me on Sunday. It's a 6 mile trail with some rocks, tight switchbacks and lots of fun! Total loop riding up Big Rock Creek Road to the top trailhead at Hwy. 2 is about 12-13 miles. It's near Valyermo south of Pearblossom. Meet at 9:00 a.m. along Big Rock Creek Road at the junction with Forest Road 4N11A near South Fork Campground. Contact me for directions if you want to go.

King of Middle Earth
    4" travel FS bike work for this ride?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    As long as it climbs good! It's a 5 mile climb (3 paved, 2 steep dirt road) to hwy 2 and there is some climbing on the trail. The trail does have some rocky sections. No significant drops or jumps. I first rode in on a FR; fully rigid steel frame Schwinn!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Ride report?

Last time I rode this disaster of a trail it was an eroded mess, 15'-25' sections crossing gullies simply gone, torn-up pieces of cars strewn across the trail (carried down by avalanches from Hwy. 2), the bigger gullies just oceans of sand with no indication of where the trail picks up on the other side, and the "road" (4N11) so badly eroded that the two bears crossing the "road" ahead of me were audibly gasping and slipping all over the place. A great wilderness experience, but a crappy ride. How was it this weekend? Did you get snow up at the saddle? Note - great views to the north from Pinon Ridge, the dirt road that heads north from the west side of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That must have been several years ago! The road was rebuilt with concrete at the creek crossings and huge drainage culverts at the avalanche paths. It's still a horrible climb at least for me. The trail has been worked on by somebody; FS or Camp Fenner crew; and is in terrific shape! Only one washout requiring a dismount. The 2 or 3 other hike-a-bikes were only for loose climbs that I didn't have the legs for. You should have come to ride!

There was about 2-3" of snow on the top mile of trail but the rest was great, damp, tacky trail with no sand. Water in all the creek crossings and ridable trail has been cut in to the former landslide areas. It's once again a great trail! When and if I recover from that climb I'll be glad to ride it with you! I saw a bear on the trail about 10 years ago! Only a few hunters today!

n00bie
    It was nice meeting and riding with you Maddog!

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Immigrante
    It was nice meeting and riding with you Maddog!

Gringo, you do the Full Monte version or what version did you ride?

n00bie
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Gringo, you do the Full Monte version or what version did you ride?
    Did the fire road climb then dropped down Manzanita. I tried to do the ride to Jackson Lake but the cold weather was too much for this wuss. About 1 mile into the climb up to Jackson Lake, the cold from the altitude started to lock up my legs and fingers so I had to turn around.

In hindsight, had I kept going, I would've been fine because it warmed up into the low 60s.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Immigrante
    In hindsight, had I kept going, I would've been fine because it warmed up into the low 60s.

Maybe start the ride an hour or so later in the day to prevent that?

n00bie
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Maybe start the ride an hour or so later in the day to prevent that?
    No doubt. I liked the place and considering we're in for a warming spell, I'm thinking of driving up early Saturday morning and setting up camp at the base of Manzanita. Thinking a few shuttle rides should make for a fun Saturday and Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Great meeting and riding with you too! Riding Acorn on Saturday but may be able to make a shuttle on Sunday. Let me know if you come on up!