Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Mamoth XC trails

Any good XC trails in the Mamoth Lakes area?

We are planning an August trip- Should I bring the Singlespeed or FS?

I plan on renting a bike for a day or 2 of DH riding.

Thanks
    Titus X Carbon
    Schwinn Prologue
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

Glad to Be Alive
    many.....the one along side the road is nice

u can rent at the ski resort and some in the town
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    There are some great XC trails for the SS, but the lift-assisted trails are better for a boinger bike, at least in my experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tekkamaki
    Any good XC trails in the Mamoth Lakes area?

We are planning an August trip- Should I bring the Singlespeed or FS?

I plan on renting a bike for a day or 2 of DH riding.

Thanks
    Too many to list. Buy a park trail pass. A good route is to take Mammoth Rock trail, cross Lake Mary Road into the Bike Park. From there I've taken their trails to Sherwin Pass and Deadman Summit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Most of the intermediate trails on the mountain can be climbed on an XC bike if you are in decent shape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Climb from downtown to the summit. It might sound bad, but it is really an excellent XC ride. Uptown to Beach Cruiser to Off the Top.

Just try to do it before the lift opens (9AM?) or on a slow weekday. Most folks coming down are nice (usually in awe) but there are some DH bastards that are annoyed/threatened by someone in spandex on a 5" bike climbing to the summit, and they respond in a typical manner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    Climb from downtown to the summit. It might sound bad, but it is really an excellent XC ride. Uptown to Beach Cruiser to Off the Top.

Just try to do it before the lift opens (9AM?) or on a slow weekday. Most folks coming down are nice (usually in awe) but there are some DH bastards that are annoyed/threatened by someone in spandex on a 5" bike climbing to the summit, and they respond in a typical manner.
    I agree that you don't want to do this on a busy day. I have only made 1 trip up there, rode three days (tues/wed/thurs) and didn't have a problem. But I also made a point of keeping my ears open and yielding to descenders, even though I had right of way. Since very few people ride XC on the mountain, riders make the assumption that a lot of trails are one-way even though they are not.

mtbr member
    There are a huge variety of smooth and rocky trails, virtually all at els >8,000ft. If you're into maps, the "Mammoth Adventure Map" (available at Footloose Sports in town) gives a decent overview. Even better is guidebook "Mountain Biking Mammoth" by David & Allison Diller. Avoid the bike park on Saturdays. Sundays aren't bad and weekdays are awesome.
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    The Downtown, Uptown, Juniper, Paper Route network are all great SS trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Also, off the resort is the Mountain View Trail which starts at the Minaret Overlook at the top of the 205. Comes out at the Earthquake Fault where you can ride the lower part of downtown back into town without going into the resort.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanga
    Also, off the resort is the Mountain View Trail which starts at the Minaret Overlook at the top of the 205. Comes out at the Earthquake Fault where you can ride the lower part of downtown back into town without going into the resort.
    That's my favorite trail in that is not in the park. But Rock Creek is one of the best in the area, unless you're full DH and willing to stick to the gondola.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve

sounds about right, but you should have too many issues with DH guys on those trails. the uptown trail is one way trail adn beach cruiser is a two way, but uber mellow and i don't see many DH guys on that

Quote Originally Posted by peligro
    I agree that you don't want to do this on a busy day. I have only made 1 trip up there, rode three days (tues/wed/thurs) and didn't have a problem. But I also made a point of keeping my ears open and yielding to descenders, even though I had right of way. Since very few people ride XC on the mountain, riders make the assumption that a lot of trails are one-way even though they are not.
    well, remember that a lot of these trails ARE one way

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    hmmm... i road a SS HT all last summer. but i was doing DH. if i were gonna do XC at mammoth, i'd DEFINITELY take a geared bike.

the trail situation in the greater mammoth lakes area is basically infinite. sure, you can stick to the mountain and have a good time. but jeez.. get outta town and .. sublime. that place in the summer is divine.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'll 2nd Rock Creek although it's not "in" Mammoth a fun trail that has really 3 sections(the sections get progressively more challenging) with bailouts between 1-2 & 2-3 , once you start 3 you're committed , you'll finnish in Paradise just above Bishop.In Mammoth , Paper Route is ok and you can take it to the Twin Lakes turnout (waterfall view), there is also a trail called Shotgun which was part of a Nat'l X/C race that was fun , it was a "Black Diamond" trail , lots of stuff to play on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    May I offer some facts about Mammoth before any further condemnation of those "DH Bastards" occurs in this thread. There are several one way trails on the mountain besides Uptown and Downtown. I'm looking at last years' trail map. There are little arrows showing trail direction on some of the trails. Beach Cruiser is a one way clockwise loop around Red's Lake.
    Paper Route has two short 2-way sections but most of the trail is also a clockwise, one-way loop. Off the Top has 4 arrows indicating a downhill only direction; which is probably why they named it Off the Top instead of Up from the Bottom. Other trails like Kamikaze, Skid Marks, Velocity and DC 10 do not have directional arrows. I wonder in which direction these were designed to be ridden?

The trails to the top and all the black diamond trails are clearly intended to be one-way, DOWNHILL trails. You may choose to climb up one of them at your own risk if you have purchased the $10.00 trail access pass. If that is your choice, (you did purchase one, didn't you?) you do not have uphill right of way at Mammoth on one-way, downhill trails! The people using the lift have paid $35.00 last year and will pay $39.00 this year to use the gondola and ride their brains out downhill and therefore have the right of way in any lift served mountain bike park. Check out previous threads on this subject. The people who pay have the right of way.

On regular trails not in a bike park I always yield whether I'm going down or up. No big deal. At Mammoth however, any climbers riding up Off the Top, Brake Through, Skid Marks (I've encountered climbers on each of these, none with passes) or any other one way, downhill trail had better ride with their ears and eyes wide open! Me and all the other "DH Bastards" will be coming down at 30 mph with our $39.00 All-Day Passes on our bars yelling at you to get out of the way. I'll try not to hit you if possible but you'll be at fault for going the wrong way! If you don't have a pass, you might get a trespassing citation or a hefty lawsuit even if you do have one.
    Downhill riders have right of way on the one-way, downhill trails at Mammoth. I believe I've made my point. No thanks from the other "DH Bastards" is necessary. I'm glad to shed the light of truth on these misguided, Mammoth trail poachers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If you're asking about xc trails not on the mountain, there aren't many. Lower Rock Creek is the best one I know of, and that's probably 20 minutes from Mammoth Lakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes I am mostly looking for trails that are not within the resort boundary. I enjoy DHing as much as the next guy, but I would rather ride trails on the xc bike away from folks who are tearin it up. I do plan on renting a DH ride for a couple days, but xc is mostly my thing. It sounds like I would I be better off leaving the XC bike at home and putting the shipping $ toward another day on the DH trails.
    Titus X Carbon
    Schwinn Prologue
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How many miles is the Rock Creek Trail?
    Titus X Carbon
    Schwinn Prologue
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    8 miles one way or 16 mile loop (climb a paved road).

mtbr member
    I think he who said there's not much is incorrect-a-mundo, but perspectives differ. If you leave your xc bike at home and later regret your decision, Footloose Sports has xc demos-- they're a Specialized dealer, so at least bring your saddle and pedals. Most of Mammoth's resort trails do not by any means require a DH bike, but there are several I wouldn't touch with ANY bike.

mtbr member
    I find the Mammoth Rock Trail is a good start for getting to the mountain and is a fun trail. You have rocks, views, and shady forests (pics). The Juniper Trail (pic) is a way to return to town and is different from Downtown Trail, more XC than a dusty speedway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have not seen dust since last summer in Deer Valley Utah, its been all mud up here in Washington.
    Titus X Carbon
    Schwinn Prologue
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog
    May I offer some facts about Mammoth......The trails to the top and all the black diamond trails are clearly intended to be one-way, DOWNHILL trails..... On regular trails not in a bike park I always yield whether I'm going down or up. No big deal. At Mammoth however, any climbers riding up Off the Top, Brake Through, Skid Marks (I've encountered climbers on each of these, none with passes) or any other one way, downhill trail had better ride with their ears and eyes wide open! Me and all the other "DH Bastards" will be coming down at 30 mph with our $39.00 All-Day Passes on our bars yelling at you to get out of the way. I'll try not to hit you if possible but you'll be at fault for going the wrong way! If you don't have a pass, you might get a trespassing citation or a hefty lawsuit even if you do have one.
    Downhill riders have right of way on the one-way, downhill trails at Mammoth. I believe I've made my point. No thanks from the other "DH Bastards" is necessary. I'm glad to shed the light of truth on these misguided, Mammoth trail poachers!
    I agree with you-- I buy my All-Day Pass and ride generally downward, but I'm no DH'er. Even so, riders climbing Off The Top on a busy Saturday are an irritating concept. It's like, c'mon. However, Off The Top IS the easiest way down. There are newbies, kids, etc. on that trail going the proper downhill direction but not at warp speed. Like my sons, for example. Please don't yell at them. Slowing up a bit and asking them to move over will work fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I would never yell at any rider heading downhill on that trail. I always slow down, say hello or just wait for a good place to pass. Off the Top has so many pumice switchbacks that almost everybody stops on them anyway making a good spot to pass. I'm very patient when overtaking riders (which doesn't happen often) on Beach Cruiser and Downtown as well. Your kids are safe with me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    LadyDi, I'm one of the ones that said there's not much xc riding away from the mountain. If you know of anyplace please share. The OT specifically said he was potentially looking for xc rides away from the resort.

Tekkamaki, definitely check out Lower Rock Creek if you can find a way to shuttle it. I'd leave your xc bike at home and do as much DH stuff as you can, including Lower Rock Creek. I've only been a couple of times, but anytime we go we always take advantage of the lifts and do the DH thing while we can. I love xc riding, but when I go to Mammoth I'd much rather take advantage of the lifts when I'm there.

If anyone can share good xc trails away from Mammoth Mountain please let us know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast