"so pitted"

Mammoth Ride Report 21-22

Rode Mammoth for the first time last weekend and have to say it was some of the best riding I have experienced since moving to SoCal. You could really link up some great trail routes.

Favorite Routes I did that weekend:

Skid Mark to Lower Skid Mark to Juniper
    -Fast smooth downhill sections with twists and turns. Lower Juniper had a great mix of tree runs and bermed turns. The trail goes for a long time.

Break Through to Flow to (Shotgun)
    -Fast single track run that leads to some fun Freeride features but really deep and loose landings. We wanted to connect to shotgun but blew it off cause we didn't want to wait for the bus...bummed we cut out shotgun.

Off The Top to Beach Cruiser to lower Shock Treatment and Richter
    -Amazing views with not-to-exciting single track runs but the switchbacks are made with those pavers so it makes for some fast turns. Shock treatment is a blast and has little pump bumps and fast tight single track with ladders and small drops. It's pretty damaged from break ruts but it adds to the excitement. A good mix of XC and Freeride action.

Trails that I didn't like:

Follow Me
    -Way to loose and sandy but had some fun features here and there. Half the time I felt like was snowboarding instead of riding. Deep, loose and not fun.

Didn't do any of the double blacks because my friend and I don't run battle armor. Took one slam that has got me thinking of investing in some knee pads.

Overall great place and can't wait to go again. Bought one of the package deals that included a hotel and tickets. Pretty good deal and the hotel let us check out late which was rad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Break Through to Flow to Shotgun is my favorite. Flow drop messes with my head because I want to do it so bad. 2 wall rides, a log ride and some good doubles at the end.

Shock Treatment to Richter is fun with the step up at the end.

Follow me is totally sand-bagged in my opinion, pun intended.

Skid marks to Toll Road to Bullet is awesome. Bullet is pretty easy for a double black diamond.

My favorite as of last trip was Velocity from Chair 2 to Twilight Zone. The tables on Twilight zone are amazing!

On my way up Friday... Maybe try DC-10. I can't remember that one.

mtbr member
    Skid Mark to Juniper is an awesome way to end the day back in town.

Just got back from up there today. They've been rebuilding Lower Shock Treatment and adding in some pavers, I think it opens tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crza
    Rode Mammoth for the first time last weekend and have to say it was some of the best riding I have experienced since moving to SoCal. You could really link up some great trail routes.

Favorite Routes I did that weekend:

Skid Mark to Lower Skid Mark to Juniper
    -Fast smooth downhill sections with twists and turns. Lower Juniper had a great mix of tree runs and bermed turns. The trail goes for a long time.

Break Through to Flow to (Shotgun)
    -Fast single track run that leads to some fun Freeride features but really deep and loose landings. We wanted to connect to shotgun but blew it off cause we didn't want to wait for the bus...bummed we cut out shotgun.

Off The Top to Beach Cruiser to lower Shock Treatment and Richter
    -Amazing views with not-to-exciting single track runs but the switchbacks are made with those pavers so it makes for some fast turns. Shock treatment is a blast and has little pump bumps and fast tight single track with ladders and small drops. It's pretty damaged from break ruts but it adds to the excitement. A good mix of XC and Freeride action.

Trails that I didn't like:

Follow Me
    -Way to loose and sandy but had some fun features here and there. Half the time I felt like was snowboarding instead of riding. Deep, loose and not fun.

Didn't do any of the double blacks because my friend and I don't run battle armor. Took one slam that has got me thinking of investing in some knee pads.

Overall great place and can't wait to go again. Bought one of the package deals that included a hotel and tickets. Pretty good deal and the hotel let us check out late which was rad.
    I rode basically the same list of trails last weekend. Had so much fun that I'm heading back up for a day or two on labor day weekend. Shotgun was a super fun trail and no big deal taking the shuttle bus back up to the gondola.

See this forum for a post about a new jump line on Twilight zone trail. Missed that last visit, but will be sure and give it a try next visit.

R

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robatki
    Break Through to Flow to Shotgun is my favorite. Flow drop messes with my head because I want to do it so bad. 2 wall rides, a log ride and some good doubles at the end.

Shock Treatment to Richter is fun with the step up at the end.

Follow me is totally sand-bagged in my opinion, pun intended.

Skid marks to Toll Road to Bullet is awesome. Bullet is pretty easy for a double black diamond.

My favorite as of last trip was Velocity from Chair 2 to Twilight Zone. The tables on Twilight zone are amazing!

On my way up Friday... Maybe try DC-10. I can't remember that one.
    I just hit DC-10 recently and ended up rag dolling down the steep section after the first tight right hand turn. Went in too fast and ended up skidding. Maintaining traction is hard there if you hit the brakes and rolling over things is difficult there if you are going slow enough to not need the brakes. Whatever that dust/dirt/silt is on that one section is super slick. It was a good reminder of why people walk that section-I'll be walking it next time.

That trail gets ignored I think because that steep section comes close to the beginning and it is really out of step with the rest of the trail.

"so pitted"
    I rode through the Jump section on lower twilight and it's pretty fun. I forgot to mention the "XZone" at the bottom of the gondola which was also really fun, even if you just roll it bmx race style.

Skid Mark to Toll Road to Bullet sounds rad. I'll try it next time. I just felt a little "under dressed" for the double blacks but it's good to know it's not that bad.

The loose turns on all the trails definitely keep the egos in check. For that weekend I switched my front tire (Nobby Nic 2.4) and put on really wide DH bars which made a huge difference in control and man handling the bike through the roughs and loose kitty litter.

So bummed I missed Shotgun. Rad to hear they were working on Lower shock treatment. When I was there it was fun but definitely needed a little love.

Stoked to get up there next season, so much fun and totally worth the 5-6 hour drive. I forgot to mention how many cops I saw on the way up on the 14 and 395...it was nuts.

mtbr member
    Good point on the CHP! Although they're farming for any tickets they can write, we can dream they'll chase down morons that don't know how to pass safely or, dare we?, the lane-monitors that toddle along until the passing lane, then suddenly grow testes.

We're heading up Sunday, and this reminds me to slap the radar detector on the dash.

Looking forward to our son's first time on a lift-assisted, mega hill. "Off The Top to Beach Cruiser to Downtown to Paper Route, to Juniper to Lakes Trail, to Old Mammoth Road" is our plan for Monday morning. We'll see if I'll get to add Skid Marks and Shotgun to the equation later... Still deciding whether to ride the SS-HT just to keep it "fair for the boy".

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    the lane-monitors that toddle along until the passing lane, then suddenly grow testes.
    Those people drive me nuts.

Just got back yesterday. Rode on Friday. It was beautiful up there, though it got quite cold camping at Twin Lakes. The wind started on Thursday and did not stop, so it made tent life kinda miserable.

Skid Marks to Juniper to Lake Trail at the end of the day was my favorite ride. I love that the tram now picks you up at the camp grounds for the trip down to the village, and being able to ride all the way back to camp was awesome.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr
    Those people drive me nuts.

Just got back yesterday. Rode on Friday. It was beautiful up there, though it got quite cold camping at Twin Lakes. The wind started on Thursday and did not stop, so it made tent life kinda miserable.

Skid Marks to Juniper to Lake Trail at the end of the day was my favorite ride. I love that the tram now picks you up at the camp grounds for the trip down to the village, and being able to ride all the way back to camp was awesome.
    Agree that is a great trail.

Whether or not you're camping in the lakes basin, the trolley service up there from the village is a great service for MTB riders. The trolley tows a large bike rack and can drop you off at a number of spots near the lakes. Twin, Mary, Horseshoe, etc...... This makes it easy to connect some excellent trails for long rides. Panorama dome, Mammoth Rock, Horseshoe singletrack, etc.....