mtbr member

Mammoth Pro Purse Money Men vs Women

Do YOU think this is fair for the PRO purse?

Men:
    1st Place = $700.00
    2nd Place = $500.00
    3rd Place = $200.00
    4th Place = $100.00
    5th Place = $50.00
    Women:
    1st Place = $150.00
    2nd Place = $100.00
    3rd Place = $80.00
    4th Place = $60.00
    5th Place = $50.00

OF COURSE YOU DONíT! Please flood their in boxes which your emails telling them we are not in the 60ís anymore and prize money must be equal! Let them know what you think! WHAT message is this telling our daughters and future generation?? WHAT on earth is Mammoth doing here? They are telling women they are not equal to men. Itís that simple. THIS needs to stop right now.

Lindsay Barksdale
    Executive Director, MMCF
    Lindsay@mammothfoundation.org

Bill Cockroft
    Senior Vice President
    bcockroft@mammoth-mtn.com

Caroline Casey
    Event Production Manager
    CCasey@mammoth-mtn.com
    GGR Girl Wendy E

Professional Troll
    Why would prize money be equal? The difference level of competition (not to mention the entrance fee money which is probably funding the prize money) between the men's class and women's class is an order of magnitude.

Looking at the results from last year, there were only 6 women who finished the race in pro. Meaning, literally, all you had to do was make it down the hill without dying and you'd win some money. Implying that that deserves equal reward to the men who had to battle with ~40 guys, some of whom race WCs, is flat out insulting to the men.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Why not just get rid of a men's or women's class and let them race together for the same prize money?

MTBR member-at-large
    It's totally equal, just look at 5th place prize money . . .$50 it's the same (jk)!

What's sad is there's less than $2,000 in total prize money, now that's worth raising a stink about!
    Better at pedaling than typing

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    if prize money were eliminated completely do you think it would significantly reduce the number of entries?

something to think about before flooding inbox's with irate emails...

mtbr member
    update....we flooded their in boxes at Mammoth and they listened to the women's community. The purse money is now even. Way to go Mammoth!
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    The prize money is seriously your concern. You have too much time on your hands. The competition level is different. Also, based on how many women I see riding one can probably safely assume that men bring a lot more money to the sport and to mammoth for biking. I'm sure you can compete in the men's category if you're worried about the prize money. Maybe I should go see if the sport and beginner prizes are the same and if not go complain. I can't ride at a pro level but does that mean that I don't deserve as big of a prize?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    The prize money should be proportionate to the number of entries. If there has to be a guarantee, then I can see how it would be more heavily weighted to the group that traditionally has the highest turn out.

That being said, I am willing to bet there are female riders out there who would eat all of you for breakfast and still have plenty left in the tank.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Was the equalising money provided by the race organizers? I find it kind of hard to believe that a few emails later...they decided to raise the women's prize money?
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    update....we flooded their in boxes at Mammoth and they listened to the women's community. The purse money is now even. Way to go Mammoth!
    What a joke.