mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Mammoth next Monday, first timer, Q's

First time going to a big mountain to ride (aside from Mt. Snow), not a first time rider but am I going to get completely sh*t stomped if I take my Anthem X1 29er there (100mm)? I'm comfortable with Laguna Beach tech @ 'speed' but that's not stuff you hit at 30 mph, nor is it massive table tops / drops / etc. I'm not running PG or Telonics for reference.

If I've got limited time (I'm the only MTBr going out of two couples) where do I absolutely need to go and how much time should I allocate?

Ideally I'd like to say I'm just taking off for a couple hours but is that a reality?

Anything I need to know before heading out?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My suggestion would be to get a guide/instructor for your time there. I'd also suggest using one of their bikes and safety gear.

You'll have a blast and will have someone with you to keep you on the best trails for your riding level.

mtbr member
    When I'm up there with my Tallboy I hit all the intermediate (and a few advanced trails like Shotgun and 7 bridges) without any trouble. You should have an awesome time on your Anthem.

Some highlights are Off the Top to Beach Cruiser, and Break Through to Paper Route to Juniper, but really all the trails are great imo. Timer ridge and Juniper are probably my favorite XC trails in the area. Just beware of the pumice your first few miles! Also, the red racks on the shuttle are for 29ers.

Couple hours probably isn't enough, although you can get a cheaper 2-lift only pass. I think you'd want at least half a day to explore.
    definite malingerer

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I rode there this past weekend. Did it on an 08 Epiphany and had no problem on any of the trails. I also rode my 1936 Elgin on Uptown, downtown, paper route, timberline. If I can do those trails on a 77 year old bike you should be ok. The more advanced trails I only got passed by a few riders who were very advanced riders on DH rigs. Just be prepared to get out of the way and let them have their fun. Had a lot of fun with no guide. Just did a pedal pass for 15 bucks. No shuttle, just the map they hand out. The trails are very well marked. Part of paper route was closed. This was after a day of hiking. Be sure to check out devils postpile and rainbow falls if you get a chance to do some hiking in the park. In the village Gomezes has great Mexican food.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mammoth next Monday, first timer, Q's-mammoth-elgin.jpg  

http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    There are plenty of XC-ish trails on the mountain as mentioned above.

One thing that helps riding Mammoth is having a large front tire that can handle the loose dry "kitty litter". Slap on a fat tire, run the pressure lower and have fun!

Also check out Lower Rock Creek which is just south of town and is one of the finest singletracks in the area.
    It wasn't me

Professional Troll
    Yeah, in terms of mileage there's actually a lot more intermediate/beginner singletrack than Gnar Gnar DH. Mammoth knows where the money is, and its not in cheap skate expert+ DHers like me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Turns out i can get a guide for $90/2hrs (up to 2 ppl, but it'd just be me). Might try that given it's my first time and it would be lame to eat **** w/out someone else there.

Thank you all for the suggestions, will write these trails down and ask the guy about hitting them up. Hopefully will get some good pics / video footage

mtbr member
    Forget the guide.
    You already know how to ride, you just need to know where to go at Mammoth.
    The trail system at Mammoth is well marked and there are handout maps + map boards at many of the major intersections on the XC trails.
    You'll be fine on your 100mm bike, most of the XC trails are casual.
    Park at the Village. Spend the $$ and get a lift pass. Get on the Shuttle Bus at the Village and take it to the Main Lodge. At the Main Lodge, Take the Gondola to the top.
    Ride Off The Top-Beach Cruiser-Mtn View-Beach Cruiser-Downtown-Paper Route-Juniper-and then pedal back to the village on either the paved bike trail or town roads.
    2hrs roundtrip.
    Every trail I mentioned has a sign at key interesctions. There are also opportunities to stop and look at big signs that show the trails. Grab a trail Map at the Main Lodge or ticket counter or Gondola. Free maps are everywhere.
    If you've just got a few hours, and don't want or plan to ride the true DH bike terrain, then the route I gave you will give you the best views( off the top + mountain view=photo opps) , biggest descent, and some of the most fun and engaging xc trails on the mountain.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Forget the guide.
    +1 . . . definitely forget the guide. You could probably find some local, pay him $20 + beer and get a better tour if you absolutely must. No way I'd pay $90 for someone to show me around. On the other hand, if it makes you more comfortable which will lead to more fun, then I suppose its worth it.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks! I guess it would help if I were more clear on what I was looking to do. Not super interested in massive drops / gaps or whatever, as I've only got a 4" bike. Wouldn't mind spending some time in some manicured berms. Don't mind tech or steeps, again, just not huge ass stupid drops that will break my wheels/bike. That being said I'd like to at least try some features if possible. Referencing their 2013 promo vid:

2013 Mammoth Mountain Bike Park Teaser - YouTube

The only thing I'd have to look at before hucking would be that step down at 7 seconds.

Thanks again to all who have responded, the trail reco's are greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Pretty much every significant drop has a sign and usually a no-drop option around it, so I wouldn't worry.
    definite malingerer

b a n n e d
    Perhaps a list of trails to avoid would be good? I don't know what those might be, other than Skidmarks, which would probably be pretty tough on a short-travel 29er.

I know that Juniper, Off the Top, Beach Cruiser, Paper Route, Uptown, Downtown, and 7 Bridges would all be easily handled.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ok, if you want berms and such, there is a trail called Recoil starts at the top of Stump Alley Express. That lift runs on weekends. Take Recoil and it will drop you into Velocity which is kind of sketchy. But you can walk around that and hit Twilight zone back down to chair two.

Another great option is to take the Gondola to the mid Chalet, and take Brake Through to Pipeline. Pipeline has what you are looking for. Berms, jumps, a couple off easy ladders. Really fun. Pipeline will dump you near downtown which will take you to the village.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Made it back in one piece! Ended up not being able to run anything but off the top / beach cruiser / brake through / paper route as the guy I was riding with hadn't ridden a bike in ~10 years and had never been on a MTB . I originally thought he didn't want to ride, turns out he did, had to take it easy on him. Though every time we came across (or under) any features I'd ride up the trail then hit a couple jumps.

Really need to go back there and check out some of the park features, stuff looked fun!

[edit] My only comment was, as much as we had maps to reference, the trail network could be confusing at times. We got run under taped trails, down fire roads, up fire roads and generally confused a few times. Maybe it was the altitude, but neither of us are morons and it wasn't as straight forward as we would have liked. Net net we rode ~19 miles, my strava is a spaghetti mess that looped us about 80% around the mountain - lol.

mtbr member
    Its a good thing you went up earlier in the week. I feel like I'm in Beijing right now with all this crap blowing over from the fire near Fresno.
    definite malingerer

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    [edit] My only comment was, as much as we had maps to reference, the trail network could be confusing at times. We got run under taped trails, down fire roads, up fire roads and generally confused a few times. Maybe it was the altitude, but neither of us are morons and it wasn't as straight forward as we would have liked. Net net we rode ~19 miles, my strava is a spaghetti mess that looped us about 80% around the mountain - lol.
    Yeah mammoth is REALLY spread out compared to most bike parks. It can be hard to get around your first few times. Lots of trail crossings, lots of mileage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I agree. I kept getting confused at trail crossings. But I'm an idiot dh guy! Lol. Had a freakin blast though!

mtbr member

Mammoth next Monday, first timer, Q's

Do they enforce the pedal pass thing? I like to ride northstar trails at dawn. I'm going to mammoth tomorrow for the first time ever and I wonder if I can do this there too.

mtbr member
    If its that early I'm sure you'll be fine, especially during the week. I've only been scanned on the mountain during the weekend on Paper Route.
    definite malingerer

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    If its that early I'm sure you'll be fine, especially during the week. I've only been scanned on the mountain during the weekend on Paper Route.
    Thats because you look like a homeless vagrant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Thats because you look like a homeless vagrant.
    Hey, those bags of cans are going to fund my retirement one day!
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Only scans I saw were for lift service.