Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

mammoth, can't wait

the mammoth web site said their going to open the park in mid june, i think the 14 if can recall correctly. i'm planning a trip in july w/ or w/out any of my riding buddies. who's got their trip planned? i wish i could make it out to whistler but the demands of father hood won't allow me.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    I'd like to plan one for July... are you planning on camping it, or hotel?

huffin' n' puffin'
    June 23rd.

(I can't wait either!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I might be up there sometime over the summer, definatly going to northstar though, might try to combine a few days at mammoth with that trip.

mtbr member

mammoth

my wife is from bishop, we'll be staying w/ her parent and i'll be free! no worries about having a babysitter. i'll just have to make the drive to mammoth from there then hit up lower rock on the way back. when i visited the mammoth site yesterday i saw their cam and there were people still snowboarding!

Stray Bullet
    Love the litter!

mtbr member
    o man i can't wait to go this summer... its gonna be my first time going there

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    We're hoping to hit up Mammoth at least once or twice this summer!

mtbr member
    you gotta let me know when you kids are goin allison...

Phil from San Diego
    I'll definately go back again this season. I think I'd like to go 2-3 times and might be worth it to buy the "season pass" for $175.. hmmm

I like the photos you took Aword4ya. ...especially the 3rd photo.. I had a pinch flat right at the top part of that photo and had to duck in those trees to patch the sucker while people zoomed by. fun. =p

Phil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer
    you gotta let me know when you kids are goin allison...
    fo sho! June is shaping up to be an incredibly busy month, but maybe we'll go mid-July for a 3 day weekend, and possibly Labor Day again. Went last year, wasn't too bad crowd-wise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    I'll definately go back again this season. I think I'd like to go 2-3 times and might be worth it to buy the "season pass" for $175.. hmmm

I like the photos you took Aword4ya. ...especially the 3rd photo.. I had a pinch flat right at the top part of that photo and had to duck in those trees to patch the sucker while people zoomed by. fun. =p

Phil.
    I actually dabbed around that right after the shot was taken I did clean that section the second time down, though. I've definitely upped my technical descent skills a little since then, and will be rocking a 6" bike. So, I'll be down for trying some of the better trails.

Will still have to hit up stuff like Off the Top and Paper Route/Big Ring, but also want to try some of the double black trails!

fastdownhill
    I'll be going with a group Aug 16th-19th. Can't wait either new bike is going to get a work out. Will be staying in a cabin.

Stray Bullet
    What kind of bikes does everyone take with them?

Last year I rode my Yeti AS-X. I'm hoping to buy a Cannondale Perp or Judge to replace it.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Tentatively August 4th. I'm stoked, it should be a lot of fun.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What ever happened to the new freeride trails they were supposed to be opened last season, I went up there last season and they werent open or even started even though the website said they were done.

mechmann_mtb
    flow and shotgun were fun trails, there was another one that dropped off of bearing straights, can't remember the name though (it was the name of a jet i think).

lots of fun stuff to be had for sure.

i can't wait to try out my 2.7" nevegal on the kitty litter!

my bike: Socom (had an Enduro in the pics from last year)
    aword4you's bike: Enduro (had a Stumpjumper last year)

i saw tons of Demos up there, a few Highlines, lots of all mtn bikes. you really don't need a ton of suspension to ride the whole mtn... but it makes it more fun.
    the braking bumps were like 18" deep on Skidmarks which can be a handfull at speed on a 6" bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    flow and shotgun were fun trails, there was another one that dropped off of bearing straights, can't remember the name though (it was the name of a jet i think).

i saw tons of Demos up there, a few Highlines, lots of all mtn bikes. you really don't need a ton of suspension to ride the whole mtn... but it makes it more fun.
    the braking bumps were like 18" deep on Skidmarks which can be a handfull at speed on a 6" bike.

The name of that trail is DC-10, one of my favorite trails at mammoth along with shock treatment, flow, pipeline, and chainsmoke. And those braking bumps are a killer on a 6 inch travel bike, I really wish they wouldn't put those there and they are handmade on most of the trails and I know because one day they were almost filled in and the next day they had been dug out with shovels.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb

Hey Mechman,

I am getting a season pass to Mammoth this year. You only need to do 6 days to pay for itself and planning on hitting it up at least once every month. With the lack of snow it should be better than ever, so they can do trail maintanence etc. We should try and hook up for a weekend there and we can put our Socoms to the test. I also had an Enduro last year and it handled every trail there fine, so the Socom should be amazing cant wait. Get your season before June 22 and they are only $175.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ifouiripilay
    my wife is from bishop, we'll be staying w/ her parent and i'll be free! no worries about having a babysitter. i'll just have to make the drive to mammoth from there then hit up lower rock on the way back. when i visited the mammoth site yesterday i saw their cam and there were people still snowboarding!

Mike!

Where ya been man! Haven't seen you since we last did a road ride! I rode noble last weekend w/ orven and some others. Orv's dying to head out to mammoth, he's literally foaming at the mouth. We've been doing nite rides on some tuesdays and thursdays, you should come join us if you can get a baby sitter, or if your wifey will let you sneak out for a couple hours. We usually start at 7pm so hopefully that'll work out w/ your schedule. Hope to ride w/ u again!

Ed

i used up all of the travel at widowmaker how'd i do that?

Stray Bullet
    I ran a 2.7/2.5 Nevegal combo at Mammoth last year. The 2.7 just barely fit between my 66RC2X. Every so often a piece litter would get stuck in the tread and the hit arch. In fact I haven't used the 2.7 since!

Last year my buddy rented a Demo 8 because of a broken hanger on his 7POINT. The slacker angles of the Demo felt a lot better at speed. Going 10-20% faster was easy because of the stability. While you can get away for hardcore hardtail a full DH bike makes so much more fun

mtbr member

Mammoth whooo hooo !

Can't wait, I will be up there the week of July 16 camping and plan on hitting the trail's. Since the wife doesn't ride I will be riding by myself so if anyone is going to be up there that week hit me up, you can have a lot more fun riding if someone else is there to pick up the carnage.

mtbr member
    Hey Ed, when do you guys plan on going to mammoth? I'm heading out sometime in july mostly likely by myself while my wife and son stay at my in laws. I haven't riden much since that road ride and that road ride was probably the last good ride I've rode. let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There should be some good riding by Memorial Weekend. Road Uptown today and that's open until the chair 4 area. Downtown has a few down trees on it still. Shotgun is clear with no snow. To the best of my knowledge, the trails are fair game (free) until they "open" and start charging. Plenty of riding is open outside the park now.

mtbr member
    while you are there hit up a few locals and find out where the REAL riding is.....(off mountain)
    check out sledz, or mammoth rock....if you want some of the best on the east side check out the secret trails in june lake....i lived in june for 6 years and the 3 riders in town have it all to themselves, because noone knows about the radness that is june lake......plus june has dirt not pumice!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast