Thread: Mammoth?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Mammoth?

I'm gonna be in the Mammoth ares in a few weeks. So........besides Mammoth Mtn., Are there any other quality singletrack trails for a cross country rider in or near mammoth?

mtbr member
    There isn't much considering the terrain and the amount of public land.

You'd think there would be A LOT more, but there isn't.

Lower Rock Creek-the best of the known "off mountain" options
    Mammoth Rock-fun but short
    Inyo Craters-fun but short
    Mountain View-mix of singletrack and two track
    Panaroma Dome-short

You can combine Uptown/Paper Route/Lakes/Panorama/Mammoth Rock into a loop.

Starkweather-good. Can be combined as an out and back/loop with Mountain View/Beach Cruiser/Downtown,etc.

Good XC loops on the mountain-just get a pedal pass-are where the best singletrack riding is.

Big Ring/Paper Route/Brake Through/Gravy Train/Beach Cruiser/Downtown is a fun pedal.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Adler
    I'm gonna be in the Mammoth ares in a few weeks. So........besides Mammoth Mtn., Are there any other quality singletrack trails for a cross country rider in or near mammoth?
    there's plenty ON the mountain for a cross country rider. despite the fact that you can take the gondola to the top of the mountain and the trip down will certainly be heavily downhill, the downhill is very much Cross Country DH. At the lower elevations, the rate of descent isn't even that great so there's even a fair amount of pedaling. You can also do rides that go partway up the mountain too.

The only other ride I have ever done out there that wasn't on the mountain was Inyo Craters and it was just Meh!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Lower Rock Creek is really fun.

On a side note, is Mammoth going to be really crowded this weekend, since it's the Labor Day weekend??

mtbr member
    Yeah, I have to agree that for XC the pedal pass for $10 is probably your best bet. Off the mountain Mammoth Rock is probably my favorite, although I have yet head over to Rock Creek. Since the park is supposed to close on 9/19, off mtn might be your only option depending on when you're up there.

Beer Please!
    We rode at Shady Flats last Thursday, there is a 4 mile single track loop, but you can use the fireroads to turn it into a 12 mile loop. We bought a mammoth mtb/hiking trail guide while up there last week cause my wife wanted to do some off-mountain stuff. Looking through that guide book showed a ton of off mountain XC rides. Just hit up one of the sport stores when you get into town and pick up that book.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    You want Epic?

Try this....go to Rock Creek Lake, near the left side of the lake is a trail that is a mile of hike-a-bike up into the Wheeler Crest.

From way up high you can access the top of Sand Canyon which drops super steep and fast.

This will connect to Rock creek trail and can be taken all the way down to Paradise.

info and maps here: http://www.rockcreeklake.com/index.p...=55&Itemid=118
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Sand Canyon:

A mile +/- of hike a bike up beat out horse trail for a mile or so of flattish singletrack.

That is not the ride you want if singletrack is a priority.

Epic shuttle.

Hateful/hurtful loop ride with no real singletrack payoff.

Who doesn't love a mile of hike a bike through hoofprints after grinding out many road miles at close to 10k feet?

The high speed jeep road descent on the ridge is fun. The bike surfing down Sand Canyon is interesting.

Views are great. Cool detour on steep jeep trail before the descent starts that will take you up the Wheeler Crest where you can overlook an almost 7,000 foot vertical drop.

Once done wtih Sand Canyon, there is a quality trail section at the bottom that leaves from Swall Meadows where Sand Canyon terminates. It follows the original wagon trail road and then turns into fun singletrack as it drops steeply to the hamlet of Paradise. You'll ride on bedrock and singletrack. Sometimes there are some small hits built up, some times they are knocked down.

To find that little gem, look on the south side of the paved Swall Meadows road before it intersect the Old Sherwin Grade(the road you would pedal up if you were looping Lower rock Creek). There is a turn out on the south side of the road with a few big rocks. Wagonwheel singletrack starts there.

This bit of trail is also a popular alternative to third section of the Lower Rock Creek trail.