Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 2014

mtbr member

Mammoth 2014

Gondola starts running this weekend.
    Trail conditions are ALL TIME!
    Got 12 days in so far and the lower mountain is awesome.
    Currently lower Bullet, lower Tzone, Follow Me, Shotgun, Flow, Big Ring, Juniper, Lakes, Timber Ridge, Downtown are riding faster than I've seen since 2006.
    New paver berms and ramps are making for FAST runs,
    Pipeline is in great shape.
    Lower Flow is stupid fast with the new pavers, ramps, wallride.
    Follow Me is fcukin rad with the new ramps and pavers. Crazy fast if you're up for it.
    Super psyched to hit Off The Top, Beachcruiser, Mountain View.
    Supposedly this weekend brings Off The Top, Lower Shock, Kamikaze, Velocity, Chainsmoke, Twilight Zone.

mtbr member
    I'm pissed I don't have more time to head up there until July. The one time I rode Follow Me late last season it seemed like they had made it much more technical for the Kamikaze Games.
    definite malingerer

Professional Troll
    Interesting. I heard they neutered the hell out of it. Can't wait to see it for myself!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    I'm pissed I don't have more time to head up there until July. The one time I rode Follow Me late last season it seemed like they had made it much more technical for the Kamikaze Games.

mtbr member
    Could be it was just beat up at the end of the season, but it's now listed as a "pro level" trail along with Chainsmoke etc.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Could be it was just beat up at the end of the season, but it's now listed as a "pro level" trail along with Chainsmoke etc.
    Many of the turns have pavers now.
    With that addition, out went some of the old skool DH feel.
    The ramp/bridge over Paper Route helps to avoid collisions at the trail crossing. No need to slow to avoid hitting or getting hit there.
    Not a lot of riders were hitting the old corners at full speed.
    Now, many riders will find themselves going much faster through the corners and potentially heading in to the rocks and bomb holes at high speed.
    So, technically easier, but the increased speed changes the entire feel of the trail.
    Still plenty of rocks with steep and loose sections.
    Many riders will get a surprise to find that pavers don't transition to smooth trail but instead drop into rocks, brake holes, and the whooped out kitty litter that defines Mammoth.

dft
    mtbr member
    good to hear.
    question, i have a very late season trip planned (weekend after labor day).
    park should all still be fully open (but chair 2 not running?)

mtbr member
    Everything should be open and running that weekend.
    Near the end of the season, they've been shutting down 2 during the week but running it on weekends.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    general trail question.....

I haven't been up there in years (2000) but a group of us are heading up there this August. when I was last there I had my hardtail. I now have a Yeti SB-66 but I don't do big jumps or drops.

How hard/terrifying are any of the double diamond runs if you aren't trying to set a land speed record and are a very skilled rider who simply doesn't air it out? I've ridden seven bridges on my HT in the past and that's listed as a single black diamond and I never thought any part of it was really that hard for me anyway. we're probably going to want to venture out on a few of the DH runs but none of us is going to want to do stupid drops or gaps.

I see a bunch of trails that weren't there when i was last there but I've done all the trails like Big Ring, off the top, beach cruiser, downtown, paper route, etc.

I'm ok with walking around something I know I can't complete so which of the double diamond trails are worth checking out? or do we just pick em at random when we're there and see what happens?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Flow, Pipeline and Twilight Zone will not be a huge leap if you are riding the single black diamond. I was just looking at the map this year and there are new defintions of trails where there are some double black with just a red trail and some with a red/black trail. My assumption is they are more of a true downhill trail.

Upper Twilight is a skate park with pavers nearly the entire route. The lower section has the huge right bowl and left wall ride. There are a few drops that can be easily rolled if you don't want to charge them. Besides, you get to take recoil to it. If you like table tops and bermmed turns, you will love the entire run.

Pipeline has blue and black wooden ramps/jumps. The blue jumps are bridged and the black have mandatory gaps. They are side by side the whole way down so you can choose your line.

The only line that I have had problems with is upper shock treatment as there is a huge bolder you have to drop. Only rode that once and wound up climbing down it like a little kid. Most big drops/gaps have a go-around if you don't have the bike(or nerve) to hit it.

Skid Marks will be a good ride. It will be like Nobel's stairway to hell and Baney Rubble all mixed into a 1 mile ride.

Just ride an unknown trail cautiously the first time. You will be bombing most of it within one day.

We will be up there for the July 4 week with the kids. They had a blast last year and I am looking forward to their progression this year. Even got my wife to say yes to riding. That will be interesting!
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    any idea if DC10 has been reworked? looked like they were doing a bunch of work to it end of last summer, curious if anybody's ridden it yet this year. May head up next weekend if everything is open.
    nothing witty here...

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    2014 Map

It doesn't have a legend but I think you get the idea of what was updated from last year.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    DC10 is supposed to officially be open this season.
    Will be good to have that as an option again. No idea if it will see trail work or was just closed due to lift construction.
    Lots of small updates are ongoing-new ramps and pavers on Shotgun. Looks like the Shotgun log ride is no more after being closed most of last year.
    Lower Flow got a significant rework last season, but that portion of trail sees little traffic since most people now head to Pipeline after the drop.
    Skidmarks got cleaned up significantly last season.
    Bullet got a good cleaning and some pavers in preparation for last years races.
    Shock Treatment could use some attention.

Professional Troll
    They removed upper velocity from the map. Wtf? Can I still poach that without getting my season pass pulled?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    They removed upper velocity from the map. Wtf? Can I still poach that without getting my season pass pulled?
    Rehab and ongoing maintenance of that trail would siphon $$$ away from the Euro Bungy and summertime Burrito Cat experience.
    Besides, if the hike to the start of that trail didn't kill the average downhiller, the trail certainly would.

Professional Troll
    :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Rehab and ongoing maintenance of that trail would siphon $$$ away from the Euro Bungy and summertime Burrito Cat experience.
    Besides, if the hike to the start of that trail didn't kill the average downhiller, the trail certainly would.

mtbr member
    Open trails are in great shape currently.
    For the XC Crowd- Off The Top, Mountain View, Beach Cruiser, Downtown, Uptown, Paper Route, Lakes, Timber Ridge, Juniper, Big Ring.
    DH/PARK- Velocity to Twilight Zone, Pipeline, Shotgun, Lower Flow, Lower Follow Me, Lower Bullet.
    No crowds yet.
    Next weekend or two should be good(minimal crowds) before the 4th of July holiday.

29er for the Soul
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Open trails are in great shape currently.
    For the XC Crowd- Off The Top, Mountain View, Beach Cruiser, Downtown, Uptown, Paper Route, Lakes, Timber Ridge, Juniper, Big Ring.
    DH/PARK- Velocity to Twilight Zone, Pipeline, Shotgun, Lower Flow, Lower Follow Me, Lower Bullet.
    No crowds yet.
    Next weekend or two should be good(minimal crowds) before the 4th of July holiday.
    Thanks for posting for the XC crowd. Are those trails only available by paying for a pass and then riding the gondola?

Does it get busy after the 4th of July?

Thanks
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teachndad View Post
    Thanks for posting for the XC crowd. Are those trails only available by paying for a pass and then riding the gondola??
    You can get a "pedal only" pass for $16 which gives you park access without the shuttle or gondola. All the XC trails other than off the top can be accessed without too much trouble from the Main Lodge or even from town if you don't mind the climbing and altitude.

They also have a variety of "two-ride" and twilight ticket deals.
    definite malingerer

dft
    mtbr member
    i poached dc10 on my last run of my trip last year, no reason it should of been closed.
    it was the same as always, mammoths most technical trail (steeps, chunk!)

one section i always thought was getting sketchy was the exit of the wall ride on twilight (after the curved tube). there was some piece of metal sticking out right by the exit.

ps. clyde, how is the pedal back to the village if one drops juniper at the end of the day? also, if one drops lower flow, is the best bet to take shotgun down to the village?

mtbr member
    Minimal pedaling to get from Juniper to the Village if you take the cutoff to the town bike path (just after the paver section when you duck back into the trees near the end).
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Rumor was, last year a trail worker was hurt quite bad while testing some sections of reworked DC-10. Had to be airlifted... therefore they left it closed.

I can't stand the second wall ride on Twilight Zone. Have crashed off it a few times. Gives me anxiety thinking about it.

dft
    mtbr member
    thanks, one more follow up. should i stay on juniper until after it crosses lake mary road or exit before that?
    Minimal pedaling to get from Juniper to the Village if you take the cutoff to the town bike path (just after the paver section when you duck back into the trees near the end).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dft View Post

ps. clyde, how is the pedal back to the village if one drops juniper at the end of the day? also, if one drops lower flow, is the best bet to take shotgun down to the village?
    For Juniper, take the town bike path directly back to the shuttle stop at the Village. No pedaling required if you do this.
    Skip the lower section of Juniper that runs to Eagle lodge-it's pretty, but all the speed is gone by that point of the trail.

For Flow, you are correct, Shotgun to the Village is the quickest. You can also do an easy pedal and catch Lower Bullet too.

mtbr member
    Yeah stay on it past Lake Mary and hit all the paver berms. The turn off is just past the wooden posts you pass through, I think there's a sign. You end up on the town bike path along Lake Mary and it's basically all downhill back to the Village.

Quote Originally Posted by robatki View Post
    I can't stand the second wall ride on Twilight Zone. Have crashed off it a few times. Gives me anxiety thinking about it.
    I've never been able to clean that either. Can't seem to get lined up for the wooden platform right after that.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dft View Post
    one section i always thought was getting sketchy was the exit of the wall ride on twilight (after the curved tube). there was some piece of metal sticking out right by the exit
    hated that metal thing, always thought i was going to get a front flat on it.
    nothing witty here...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast