Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 2014

mtbr member
    Lots of good trails are now open.
    Gondola and Chair 11 are running.
    Never seen so many families and kids on the mountain before.
    It's great to see the kids on the lift accessed trails.

DH/park:
    Flow
    Bullet
    Follow Me
    Chainsmoke
    Velocity to Twilight Zone
    Pipeline
    Shotgun
    White Bark(Lower Shock Treatment)
    Kamikaze

XC:
    Off the Top
    Beach Cruiser
    Mt View
    Downtown/Uptown
    Brake Through
    7 Bridges
    Juniper/Timber/Lakes
    Paper Route Loop
    Discovery Zone

mtbr member
    Any word on the last section of Richter? I heard it's been modified.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Any word on the last section of Richter? I heard it's been modified.
    Lots of construction there.
    Been looking at it for a week and still can't tell what the final feature will be.

You can watch the work on the Mmth Cam.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Question...
    I'm looking at the bike park website and it has an option to buy your passes in advance for a (supposedly) lower price of $44.
    What is the cost of a full day pass if I buy it the day of when I'm there?

My only concern is that you have to specify which day and I'm not 100% sure what day my son and I will go riding.

mtbr member
    2014 day passes are $49

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Lots of construction there.
    Been looking at it for a week and still can't tell what the final feature will be.

You can watch the work on the Mmth Cam.
    I was up there last night and it looks like a lame boardwalk on that final section into a big paver berm. I thought they might try to put in a big drop like at whistler.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

unrooted
    Also heads up-the bottom of twilight zone now goes into a right turning burm at the bottom of, what was, the last jump and goes into another smaller wall jump and two small tabletops.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Lower Velocity is finally getting rebuilt.
    Looks like a big left berm and some jumps after the last log jump/drop/roller. I wonder if they'll put pavers in the big loose turn above the log.

The big boardwalk ramp on Richter is pretty cool. No reason to hit the brakes when coming out of the trees and it eliminates the blinding dust clouds from riders hitting their brakes before rolling in to the old chute. You can boost off both wood sections at full speed now.

The only remaining old skool trail that hasn't seem much attention afaik is now upper Shock Treatment.

mtbr member
    Anyone ridden remade DC-10 yet?
    definite malingerer

Team Fearless Descender
    What's going on up at Mammoth the past few days, weather wise / trail wise? I know they've been getting some afternoon showers, and it looks like, from various web-cams the the air is pretty smoky (Yosemite, etc. fires).

Got a group, coming from all directions, of about a dozen pulling into town this coming Thursday - Aug 14th.

Any current weather / trail reports? Pictures?
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt View Post
    What's going on up at Mammoth the past few days, weather wise / trail wise? I know they've been getting some afternoon showers, and it looks like, from various web-cams the the air is pretty smoky (Yosemite, etc. fires).

Got a group, coming from all directions, of about a dozen pulling into town this coming Thursday - Aug 14th.

Was very smokey this past weekend, so much so that i left saturday night instead of riding sunday. Dirt conditions, however, were all time with the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Anyone ridden remade DC-10 yet?
    rode it this past weekend, it's pretty sick, super gnarly section is still super gnarly, the rest has been completely rebuilt with plenty of jumps and steeps.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt View Post
    It's day by day with the smoke. Saturday was like biking in Beijing. Sunday was much better; you could actually see mountains.

In general expect the possibility of rain every afternoon, but it rarely comes down for more than an hour. But yeah the trails are in great shape with the moisture. Best place I know of to get updates: Mammoth Mountain Ski Area | Snow Report - Information & Mountain Weather

Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    rode it this past weekend, it's pretty sick, super gnarly section is still super gnarly, the rest has been completely rebuilt with plenty of jumps and steeps.
    Cool I'll give it a try next trip up.
    definite malingerer

Team Fearless Descender
    2w4s / PerfectZero,

Thanks for the replies. Crazy bad to hear of the smoke, though what you report is what I've been seeing on other sites (hiking, etc., Owens Valley, 395 stuff). I do hope things change for the better by this time (Thurs) next week. Watching rain come down via webcam right now! 395 Travel and Weather - Highway 395 Travel and Weather That too looks like it clears out, the afternoon showers, by mid next week.

Again thanks to both for the reports. I'll post what I find, and some pix, once I'm up there.

Stuff

mtbr member
    I've been in Mammoth since Saturday chaperoning a high school xc team and riding when I can. So first we had smoke, then rain, then cold, wind, and at the summit freezing fog so thick I could barely see my son riding right in front of me. This morning dawned clear and warm, by late afternoon a spectacular thunderstorm rolled through. The trails have been great, not dusty.

Bottom line- pack for every type of weather because conditions change quickly here and you won't find much warm gear in town.
    Never give up, never surrender.

Team Fearless Descender
    Mammoth 2014-mammoth080714_1015.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
    This morning dawned clear and warm, by late afternoon a spectacular thunderstorm rolled through. The trails have been great, not dusty.

Bottom line- pack for every type of weather because conditions change quickly here and you won't find much warm gear in town.
    LadyDi, looking at the "cams" right now (10:15am Thursday the 7th). Sky looks blue and beautiful! And, from what I can see the "dirt" looks tasty. I'm sure if the afternoon showers dissipate, as expected over the next few days, by the time we get there a week from now things will be back to dry, but that's ok. We expect those conditions.

Sounds like you and the team are having a great time!

Stuff

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

Mammoth 2014

Currently in Mammoth, been here since Wed and heading home tomorrow Sat. No more smoke issues. Weather warming up. T-storms each afternoon around 4:00. Today they shut down Gondola and both chairs just before 4:00 due to lightning up top. Not crowded at all. Trail crew working on a few landings around the park. Never went up top, one day Kamikaze was closed, as well as Richter. I prefer the lower half anyway. All in all a fun three days for me up here.
    oldmanjusthavingfunontwowheelsurbandirtandroad

mtbr member
    May 2009
    we were just up there this past weekend. rode friday and saturday. both days had nice blue skies AM that turned to cloudy thunderstorms in the PM. brief closures due to lightning but saturday wasn't bad. rains were brief and intermittent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Up here until Sunday. Rained pretty good last night and the mountain was great this morning. Pretty windy though and they had lower Twilight shut down as they were doing something, not sure what. Scattered showers right now and still very windy. There was a bear today at Velocity, maybe he is a DH bear? Looking forward to the rest of the week. Then one last trip for the Kamikaze games.

mtbr member
    Anyone heard anything about how late into the season they're going to be open? I'm hoping for a trip first week of Oct, but who knows this year.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Are Skid Marks and DC10 open yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    Are Skid Marks and DC10 open yet?
    Yes.
    DC-10 has officially been open for a few weeks.
    Skidmarks opened early season.
    Rebuilt Shock Treatment is supposed to open soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    DC-10 was pretty sweet two weeks ago. They definitely did some work.

mtbr member
    Most important update of all:

Your bike park pass gets you $1 drafts at The Yodler.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sure, now he tells me when I get home! I was sitting there yesterday looking at it but I would have never thought of it being I bought the Season pass back in April. Hope to be back up for the Kamikaze games!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ragged edge racing View Post
    Sure, now he tells me when I get home! I was sitting there yesterday looking at it but I would have never thought of it being I bought the Season pass back in April. Hope to be back up for the Kamikaze games!
    5 days of riding or 33 draft beers at the Yodler.
    There are a few ways to get full value out of your early bird season pass purchase.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast