Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mammoth 2013

mtbr member

Mammoth 2013

The 2013 Mammoth season is about to start winding down.
    However, there are some significant trail updates to some classic trails in preparation for the upcoming Kamikaze Bike Games.
    Skid Marks, Bullet, and Follow Me have seen significant trail work due to their inclusion in the enduro race course.
    You'll find several sections significantly easier on all trails, but the overall speed of the trails have been greatly improved.
    Skid Marks is now stupid fast if you want it to be with minimal worry about high speed pinch flats-feels like a totally different trail with speeds WAY up from where they used to be. Before you used to worry about pinch flats, now you just know you should be going faster.
    Similar story on Follow Me-some sections are easier now, but just add speed and the whole trail comes together really well. Speeds are way up now. Cool bridge ramp thing now to eliminate collision potential with riders on Paper Route.
    Bullet now has official go arounds for the enduro course and word is they'll stay part of the trail and be signed for the future. Rock gardens and stunts are still there if you want them. Main rock garden is significantly cleaner though.
    Overall these trails "flow" better and are more consistent in speed for most of the way down.
    So, some people will say they are easier, some will say faster, but most will probably say better after a few runs down them.
    If you've been riding Mammoth for years and have a fondness for high speed interrupted with uber tech, you may be a bit bummed. Just add or maintain speed though and the trail work is legit.
    Basically if the updates to Chainsmoke broke your heart, you may feel the pain again.
    What I have noticed is that more riders are now trying the "difficult" trails. Chainsmoke is way busier now than it has been in years.
    I expect Bullet and Follow Me will soon see lots of repeat riders.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    T
    Basically if the updates to Chainsmoke broke your heart, you may feel the pain again.
    What I have noticed is that more riders are now trying the "difficult" trails. Chainsmoke is way busier now than it has been in years.
    I expect Bullet and Follow Me will soon see lots of repeat riders.
    ChainSmoke was my favorite....when you pinned that trail you earned it....sad how they dumbed it down...even riding the Lava flow was fun and challenging picking a line before they bulldozed that flat.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Hey did they ever open chair 17 this year...there was talk of opening it to do Bullit and Follow me runs
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    They have not as of last weekend. I don't know if they will for the games. There were preping the gondola lift out of the village to Discovery Lodge. I didn't see them running any of the lifts on the hill other than the gondola, Chair 2, and the Discovery Zone chair. One of the lift crew told me there were plans to open a chair on the village side permanently next year but I couldn't tell you if that was a legitamate fact or just talk.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    so is mammoth mgt cool with early-morning rideups and first trail runs without shelling out $$$ for a day pass?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Mammoth does not allow free access, at least that is what the signs all over the mountain state. If you only want to ride the trails, you are supposed to purchase the "trails only" pass. I did not see any enforcement but I did hear radio chatter about trail poaching (while in line next to a lift operator) and they wanted to send somebody to check it out. I don't really know if that happened.

I look at it this way - you are on their property with permission by purchasing a ticket. The money goes towards the development and maintenance costs of the mountain. It is just plain bad karma if you are trespassing and poaching.

There are other trails that are not part of the mountain and those are free. Any on the main require paid access.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by P917mulsanneF512 View Post
    so is mammoth mgt cool with early-morning rideups and first trail runs without shelling out $$$ for a day pass?
    If you're pedaling around before they open I think its pretty unlikely you'll see anyone. I'm not sure what they could say even if you did since there's no place to buy a ticket that early.

If you're out there after 9am though a pedal pass is only $15...
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    Hey did they ever open chair 17 this year...there was talk of opening it to do Bullit and Follow me runs

I think you mean Ch. 16.

Never opened as far as I know. On the kamikaze games website its listed as part of the DH course on Bullet/Follow me, but no idea if they'll open it up for everyone else.
    definite malingerer

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    How's the smoke been this week? Maps make it look clear, but the Rim fire looks pretty terrible.

mtbr member
    No smoke this week.
    High winds the past few days.
    50mph winds today made the open jump lines sketchy.

Glad to Be Alive
    No smoke this week.
    High winds the past few days.
    50mph winds today made the open jump lines sketchy.
    veery sketchy...almost went down twicw with wind blowing me on Velocity opening jump and beginning of twilight

Professional Troll
    Great so no new trails, a couple trails never opened, and sanitizing some of the best trails on the mountain, and dangerously under maintaining others. Great year Mammoth...

I'd be angry, but the riding is still super awesome.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    I look at it this way - you are on their property with permission by purchasing a ticket. The money goes towards the development and maintenance costs of the mountain. It is just plain bad karma if you are trespassing and poaching.

There are other trails that are not part of the mountain and those are free. Any on the main require paid access.
    +1

Pay up if you want to ride the park trails.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

dft
    mtbr member
    thanks for update.
    dam, for all my years of riding mammoth, i still don't think i have ridden follow me (always hit up flow-pipeline or bullet to end at the village), sounds like i need to do it. also, what is juniper like?

chainsmoke is real flowy now, i really like that trail.
    i probably shouldn't say this, but the last run of my 3 day trip i poached dc10. thre is no reason why it should be closed, trail was the same as always and in fine shape

mtbr member
    Lots of people hitting DC10 currently even though the closed sign is up.
    Not quite sure why DC10 is marked as closed still.
    Juniper is the best section of XC trail on the mountain. Just steep enough to keep the speeds up with fun hits all over the place. Trail is in the trees and has a nice mix of rocks, roots, turns and real dirt.
    Follow Me is/was "Bullet Light". No extended rock gardens, nice mix of speed and classic Mammoth loose and steep turns in roots and dust. Some small drops and line options, but overall a fun old school trail. It never sees much traffic once the the season gets going because it's a pedal to get to. That will likely change with the updates.

mtbr member
    Some cool updates to lower Flow-the part you'd hit if you opt to stay on Flow after the drop instead of cutting over to Pipeline.
    The steep and super loose litter box below the right hand paver turn is now high speed ramps and pavers. Lots of wood and lots of pavers instead of all that speed killing deep pumice leading in to the wallride.

mtbr member
    Wow, even shotgun has been hit by the sanitization fairy. Not sure if its new management or what, but I wonder what the motivation is for suddenly tinkering with trails that have basically been untouched for a decade.

I'd wish they would just focus on maintaining the trails instead of changing them. The pumice was mighty deep this weekend. I think I saw about 5 people eat it on the new sand trap on Beach Cruiser.

Also overheard after 9/15 its Fri-Sun only, and only ch. 2 and the shuttle.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anyone riding on Monday? Planning to run blacks but friend had to dropout so would be glad to get some company.

Pissed big time about closures of Bullit and Follow Me. I guess mostly due to festival since two are end right at where festivities are.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    I'll be out there tomorrow, but probably sticking mostly to AM/single diamond stuff after the last couple days. Green Nomad with a Mammoth sticker on the top tube...
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Bullet and Follow Me are seeing lots of riders, but everyone either cuts out to Paper Route to Flow or Big Ring/Shotgun to avoid the "closures".
    Flow is in the best shape in years-hit lower Flow instead of going left to Pipeline.
    Best run for quick laps in the park currently(IMO) is Velocity-Twilight Zone-Chainsmoke.
    Lower Chainsmoke is so fast if you jump in to the big wood ramp and stay off the brakes after making the turnoff from twilight Zone.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That's the plan, run some loops on chair 2. We did nice runs on Bullit last time we where there, but those changes to fast looks nice. Never managed rock garden all the way before. Now seems much more doable.

PerfectZero, I think I seen you there. Been riding blues with my wife two days, so will stick to Velocity/twilight tomorrow. White Pivot Phoenix.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

Professional Troll
    Flow is in the best shape in years-hit lower Flow instead of going left to Pipeline.
    Have they clean up that stair case section in the middle before the drop? That was getting insanely blown out last time I was up there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Have they clean up that stair case section in the middle before the drop? That was getting insanely blown out last time I was up there.
    As of a week or so ago, no.
    It was still classic litter box drops.
    I didn't hit Flow today, but I will later this week.
    With the massive amount of pavers and wood put in to the lower section, it would make sense for them to do some work up top.
    The lower section improvements are awesome-no more speed killing pumice before the wallride.
    Never understood why the paver berm still dropped in to that huge litterbox. That section always killed the "flow"of the trail for me unless it had just rained.
    Cool trail again, improvements are positive-rocks and drops up top and then high speed after the Flow Drop.

mtbr member

Re: Mammoth 2013

Still the same as of yesterday...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Not sure how it was before, but I hit it today and it seemed fine.

Also saw a guy riding with his kids who looked like they just recently graduated from training wheels. Of course they were on pipeline...
    definite malingerer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast