cyclemaven.net

Malibu Creek and Big Sycamore?

Anyone been there lately? What are the conditions like nowadays?
    Thanks for any info.
    Donate now!
    I'm a roadie this year for AIDS LifeCycle. Find out more by going here:
    http://girlmeetsbike.org

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    Thanks for any info.
    I'm planning on going this weekend.
    To Malibu Creek. Never been there though .

I'll be following this thread.... and tell me if you want to ride.

I need a break from this board

rustyb

Are you gonna eat that?
    I only got a couple of miles up Big Sycamore before I broke a pedal but there's a bunch of stream crossings to deal with now, none of them are particularly troublesome.

I think somewhere on the order of about 8 of them, possibly more, we'd gone through a few and were told there was another 5 to go.

Last time I went there was the end of last summer when everything was bone dry.

mtbr member

Good job! Malibu creek

Thanks for any info.
    I went to Malibu creek last week and the water was higher than I've ever seen it( I haven't been there for more than ten years). There are some big cracks in the trails from rain runoff. Overall it wasn't to crowded and it was a nice ride with a slight cool a.m. breeze.

Peace,

Joe

cyclemaven.net

Thanks for the Responses

Sounds like Malibu is the way to go. Rustyb, I'll PM you.
    Donate now!

mtbr member
    Sounds like Malibu is the way to go. Rustyb, I'll PM you.
    Malibu is flat(ish) until you get to Bulldog, then it's a long climb. Take pictures, I want to see the creek bed as you approach Mash site.

P.S. Is Rustyb 14 years old? Better get a signed release.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Malibu is flat(ish) until you get to Bulldog, then it's a long climb. Take pictures, I want to see the creek bed as you approach Mash site.
    thanks, I'll do my best for the pics, but since I have no digital camera I don't think "my best" is sufficient

P.S. Is Rustyb 14 years old? Better get a signed release.
    Check.
    Thanks for the concern though. Seriously

From your posts it seems like you go out there quite often, and your info on the trails is always appreciated. . I'll let you know how the trails are (even if I can't post pics ) ...

rustyb

mtbr member

Not bad

Three of us made a brief trip through Saturday morning. The rocky creek bed is 98% rideable. With more improvement it'll be back to the days of "no dabs". The biggest surprise was the damage on Crags Road beyond the Mash site (pic), the rush of water must have been impressive. Pictures of RB at the Jeep and Kallisti at .. (she has to tell me!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

cyclemaven.net

Great time, Beautiful day

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Three of us made a brief trip through Saturday morning. The rocky creek bed is 98% rideable. With more improvement it'll be back to the days of "no dabs". The biggest surprise was the damage on Crags Road beyond the Mash site (pic), the rush of water must have been impressive. Pictures of RB at the Jeep and Kallisti at .. (she has to tell me!)
    Thanks to both you guys. I had a lot of fun.

but 98% ridable? The answer is yes -
    if you're Pacman, Superman, or some other superhero! But I tried my best, and I learn more about picking a line each time I ride with Pacman.
    Rustybearings, great meeting you and riding with you. You are a good strong rider.

Now as far as where that picture is ...
    Overlook above the Rock Pool? Just a guess
    Donate now!

mtbr member
    We saw a number of rock climbers and crawlers today. Here's some shots from the past, nobody got wet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Thanks to both you guys. I had a lot of fun.

but 98% ridable? The answer is yes -
    if you're Pacman, Superman, or some other superhero! But I tried my best, and I learn more about picking a line each time I ride with Pacman.
    Rustybearings, great meeting you and riding with you. You are a good strong rider.

Now as far as where that picture is ...
    Overlook above the Rock Pool? Just a guess
    That was a fun ride

98% rideable.. ha! The scenery was fantastic, as was the trail after you got out of the Craggs Road (not sure if that's what it's called ) "rock garden" part. And of course you hae to watch out for that washed out bit Don't want to go flying in there.

Pacman you are insane! . Downill and uphill . I'll be doing Eagle Loop tomorrow morning, so if I see you up there I'll give you a shout. Might do Backbone if I can get some other guys to come
    Kallisti, I'm positive I've seen you riding before. I must have, since you live not even 6 miles from me . BTW, I forgot to tell you the paintjob on your bike is great... I'm envious (especially the fork.)

Thanks for the ride
    rustyb

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just rode Sycamore today for the first time since the rains. Starting on the Newbury park side, I went down the main canyon, up Backbone, up the final part of Overlook, down Guadalasca, then down Wood Canyon and back to the main canyon.

If you so desire, you can get down the main canyon to Backbone without getting your feet wet, as there is a detour just past the white house that avoids two big stream crossings (including the unridable one with the giant berm). Once at Backbone, there is somewhat of a river to cross right at the very start, though.

Backbone seemed in decent shape to me. At bit more loose rock then usual, and some of the shady parts in the middle section had some larger ruts then usual.

Guad was a bit over grown at the top, and again, there was more loose rock, but not too bad. There were some new or deeper ruts, and some of the switchbacks had ruts, but nothing too serious.

The lower part of Guad has some deeper ruts, a tree blocking the trail, an exposed pipe, and a stream crossing or too. The later was the most disapointing. I don't consider myself a very fast downhiller, but there is (or was) one section that involves a descending left turn into a dip, followed by a banked right turn on the way back up. I used to love flying through this section...you can feel the g-forces a bit on the banked turn. Unfortunately, there is now a somewhat ugly stream crossing right at the bottom of the dip, so you can't do that anymore (well, I cant, anyway).

Wood Canyon had a number of streamcrossings between Guadalasca and the main canyon, btw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Whatch out for the poison oak out there - it is growing like crazy all over Sycamore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Galamoor
    Whatch out for the poison oak out there - it is growing like crazy all over Sycamore.
    Yeah, though at the moment, bug bites have been the main issue. I actually managed to fall right into a big patch of PO at Wildwood two weeks ago, with no ill effects, though I did wash off with Technu right afterwards. Either that stuff works really good, or I'm immune.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warthog
    Yeah, though at the moment, bug bites have been the main issue.
    I agree, rode Sycamore on Saturday and got eaten alive by the swarms of Texas sized mosquitoes. Bring the deet!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    I agree, rode Sycamore on Saturday and got eaten alive by the swarms of Texas sized mosquitoes. Bring the deet!
    I've actually been getting bitten mostly from riding Chesebro.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    That was a fun ride

98% rideable.. ha! The scenery was fantastic, as was the trail after you got out of the Craggs Road (not sure if that's what it's called ) "rock garden" part. And of course you hae to watch out for that washed out bit Don't want to go flying in there.

Pacman you are insane! . Downill and uphill . I'll be doing Eagle Loop tomorrow morning, so if I see you up there I'll give you a shout. Might do Backbone if I can get some other guys to come
    Kallisti, I'm positive I've seen you riding before. I must have, since you live not even 6 miles from me . BTW, I forgot to tell you the paintjob on your bike is great... I'm envious (especially the fork.)

Thanks for the ride
    rustyb

woah...
    smiley overdose

mtbr member
    That's OK