mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Malaga Cove, Palos Verdes Night Bike Ride

I know this is a shot in the dark but while I was driving to work (I work at night) I noticed a group of mountain bikers assembling in Malaga Cove, Palos Verdes by the fountain. If any of you are on here I was just curious where do you ride?

Composites Advocate
    Sep 2010
    I'm curious about the very same group. They have posted news of their rides on socaltrailriders.org. They appear to call themselves South Bay Night Riders, and meet at either Malaga Cove, or up at Del Cerro Park at 6:30 pm on Wednesdays. It seems that Malaga Cove is the spot for the fall season, up to some time in April, then they switch to Del Cerro.

Del Cerro has plenty of marked trails, and is located in PV. I've been riding the trail system for about two months, and can complete rides ranging from 45 min to over 2 hrs, by stringing together various trails.

Park on main street near the park; the trailhead is located at the end of a turnoff just east of the park. If you start from here (instead of at the bottom, or coming in from the adjacent Forrestal trail system), it'll be downhill for a good part of the early ride. Lots of fun, but be prepared for a climb back up. My quickest run so far has been 9 min down and 30 min climb-out. But, that was hands-off-the-brakes on the descent, to beat the sunset. The descent can be stretched significantly by stringing together various trails on the way down, and doing some mid-way climbing on adjacent trails. The climb-out may be discouraging at first depending on your fitness level, but one definitely needs to ride this place a couple of times before giving up on it. I hiked up my first ride, and then began to build up to full climb-outs. At first with a few stops for rest, and now with no stops.

Give it a couple of go's.
    2010 Specialized Enduro Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Like Zolies...you can string together some nice rides that are challenging. To get a good workout I usually go up the singltracks. I ride there on Thursday afternoons around 3-4pm starting from near Forrestal Rd. I go down the switchbacks with the ropes and make my way up to Burma fireroad. From there I take the singltrack that leads back up to the fireroad again around the water tank (it's a nice workout going up the singltrack).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am apart of the wed night rides, we do about a 16 mile loop. Alot of it is street when we start at Malaga Cove. But when we switch to Del Cerro then its mostly dirt.