mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job! Major bike park in Boise, Id

Well no this is not an "official" press release, but I do have freedom of speech and am from SoCal originally, so wanted to share some of my stoke, i.e. enthusiasm for what we have up here, on SoCal board with yous like-minded enthusiasts. I wish we had this in SoCal when I started riding in 98.

In fact, when I first moved to Boise, I was bummed at how flat/smooth the trails were (and didn't understand where Bikemag was coming from giving Boise top ratings for bike city-it certainly wasn't, and isn't a destination-maybe top ratings are/were for the culture and accessibility of the trails. But much more tech features available on down there, such as LCWP, etc. except for the artificial rules declaring what seems every single fun trail in the area illegal. "If it's fun and challenging for mtn bikers, we better make it illegal" seems the motto? frustrating, but that's another subject and I'm too prone to go off on tangents.
    Ironically I'll be moving back to SoCal after finishing my masters, but then again home is truly, home!

A lot of people and some very key, very dedicated individuals up here who had and have the time, brains, PERSISTENCE and communcations skills, made this happen, and us riders are all very appreciative.

Anyhoo, it's here now.

4X:
    Eric Carter designed and built which is almost complete. He's here now and we'll be working thorugh the weekend, as long as it doesn't rain.
    I never saw one before now. It's FAST, big downhill BMX course.
    I'm hearing Jeep is interested as well, which will be outstanding for the city of Eagle and Boise area. If the Jeep interest comes to fruition, a LOT more parking is going to be needed, and accomodated I'm sure.

Pump Track:
    Jud Duvall and crew, we just about completed it last weekend. Looks good; some think the rollers are a bit too big and riders could gen more speed with smaller rollers, so some more shaping may happen. I now have a reason to get a hardtail again (except with different geo from back in the day, the XC day) If you haven't ever ridden a pumptrack it'll sharpen yoru cornering skills and build your wind/sprinting ability for sure. I conclude after just a few days riding there and probly only like 20-30 laps.

3 Freeride courses:
    Beg, Intermed and Expert lines, sweeet, sweet berms, tables, etc. I haven't seen the expert line but one organizers says 30 and 40ft. tables on it. and we may be able to build wooden stunts down the same ridge. I'll be spending most of my time on the pump track and beginner (which is looking super fun) lines, and the 4x course. leave the intermediate and expert lines to the experts.

BMX course:
    coming

Track Course:
    I'm not sure on the details of this one, the pitch/steepness, etc, but believe it's going to rival any track anywhere. Work hasn't started on this yet.

Singletrack:
    much more singletrack going in, connecting to existing network called "Ridge to Rivers" and there's more "non-smooth" singletrack built up on the mountain, so we have a pretty good network now. I will still say SoCal "illegal" singletrack is better, apples to apples, or maybe just different.

The only thing is the high desert dirt dries up and gets somewhat sandy quickly, so the planned irrigation/maintenance system will be key, as will regular volunteer schedule.

Oh yeah, it's free. My understanding is that riders won't have to pay for parking, access or anything (at least not yet - that may change I don't know).

I know I'm missing something and my apologies for no pics but at least a link:

http://www.idahovelopark.org/
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 03-14-2008 at 09:48 AM.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

Glad to Be Alive
    30 + 40 foot doubles = lawsuit

better make them tables (just like whistler)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I haven't looked at the expert line yet - I think they are tables, sorry for the incorrect information.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

Goofing off?
    Either way, this place looks fun and is a good start for the biking community. Remember the creation of skateparks? They are in every city nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    I haven't looked at the expert line yet - I think they are tables, sorry for the incorrect information.