mtbr member

Luge probably gone for now!

I live about 3 miles south of the gate to STT and this is a view from my neighborhood. It's the general vicinity of The Luge. Looks like there's not much left as the fire is coming down the hill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Bummer... I was just there last Thursday with my bro. I was hoping that it wouldn't get hit, but I think your right. It probably is burnt out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    a friend lives in those houses above whiting. he said that whiting is toast, and the STT/luge is now on fire.

the ocreg story seemed to imply that they are setting backfires above cooks in order to protect live oak/RSM

Glad to Be Alive
    just make sure drains are dug before the rains
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Whiting Ranch has been reduced to ash by the insidious efforts of some arsonist Jack@ss! Not only have hundreds of people been gravely endangered with their property at risk of being destroyed, but countless numbers of wild critters that made Whiting such a special place to ride are now dead and the habitat annihilated Wildfires reap havoc enough on our state, but arsonists should have an extra special place in H3LL, and a special method for getting there (A Berrett .50)!

Its a just a watermellon and lousy Photoshop work, but the sentiments real!
    MAY YOU ROT IN H3LL WHOEVER YOU ARE!
    PrOxY

Trying a little
    arsonists do have a special place in the cpc california penal code

AGGRAVATED ARSON - WILLFUL, MALICIOUS INTENT TO CAUSE INJURY TO ONE OR MORE PERSONS, DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, ETC.

bail: $1 Million

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    As of 9:30 am the water-dropping helicopters are filling up at the Oso resevoir which my housing tract borders and flying over my house every couple minutes. I just looked up at the Santa Ana's and it looks like they are getting it somewhat under control at the moment. They seem to be concentrating their efforts in Live Oak Canyon (the road that leads from Cooks) right now. The firefighters worked their a$$es off thru the night / early morning to save the homes south of there. Next time I see a firefighter, I'm buying him a beer (or 10).

mtbr member
    here is an updated map of the fire, if you click the HYB button and zoom in you can see what parts of STT/Luge have burned

http://www.ocregister.com/article/ma...-orange-county

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    looks like the luge is alright, although I figure the fire, if and when it gets to the luge, will take out the two branches that always hit me in the face near the bottom of the trail. not that I'm hoping for the fire to get that far, though.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by proxy
    Seems they have a "person of interest" in custody. they caught him trying to light more fires out by Arrowhead off the 173.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    May 2004

So

Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer
    here is an updated map of the fire, if you click the HYB button and zoom in you can see what parts of STT/Luge have burned

http://www.ocregister.com/article/ma...-orange-county
    Everything EAST of Santiago Canyon Road looks okay if I'm looking at this correctly?

I live in Boise, Id, but am familiar with Whiting and the Santa Anas. STT to Old Camp then back down via the Luge is one of my fav rides down there

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nope, luge is gone, watched it burn on live feed via www.myfoxla.com. I could see the bottom of the trail and the asphalt that leads you onto live oak canyon road. Seems like the fires are targeting the trails down here.

mtbr member
    Here is what the San Diego Fire looks like from Temecula

Man that must be horrid!!!
    PrOxY

mtbr member

Looks like the fire is done by STT

From my housing tract it looks like the fire is controlled and heading up the peak. I don't even see any more smoke coming from Live Oak Canyon that I can tell. The helicopters have been filling up all day at the Oso Resevoir (about 100 yards from my house) and flying over the roof tops. Those firefighters are busting their asses!

One of the pics is what I can see of the STT/Luge area from my place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    here is a updated google link of the fire riding locally is done for awhile.
    but once the trails open, we need to set up trail maintenance days every where we can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shmrcksean
    (the road that leads from Cooks) right now. The firefighters worked their a$$es off thru the night / early morning to save the homes south of there. Next time I see a firefighter, I'm buying him a beer (or 10).
    I'm sure there are some good hearted hard working ones, but from what I saw Sunday PM they could have ended it in Irvine if they wanted to. Looked to me like the Fire Authority was to excited to play with thier toys, and earn double time pay. Known more than one firefighter to gloat about making the fat checks from working fires, most younger ones sign up to travel to the regional fires to make the cash. Got a good friend in Silverado almost lost his home/retirement/life... and all of us on two wheels lost a wonderful habitat to explore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CouchRiding
    I'm sure there are some good hearted hard working ones, but from what I saw Sunday PM they could have ended it in Irvine if they wanted to. Looked to me like the Fire Authority was to excited to play with thier toys, and earn double time pay. Known more than one firefighter to gloat about making the fat checks from working fires, most younger ones sign up to travel to the regional fires to make the cash. Got a good friend in Silverado almost lost his home/retirement/life... and all of us on two wheels lost a wonderful habitat to explore.
    And you are an expert on firefighting and can make a statement like that exactly how? Watch out for the black helicopters..

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by CRASH
    here is a updated google link of the fire riding locally is done for awhile.
    but once the trails open, we need to set up trail maintenance days every where we can.
    Any excuse not to ride!

mtbr member
    I'm sure there are some good hearted hard working ones, but from what I saw Sunday PM they could have ended it in Irvine if they wanted to. Looked to me like the Fire Authority was to excited to play with thier toys, and earn double time pay.
    I'm a police officer and was actually working Sunday night...standing on Jamboree Rd while my other officer's blocked the road from Tustin Ranch Road on up north. I stood a few feet from the 20ft + high flames as they came down the hill. There were at least 100 firefighters out there and, based on that small area, there was nothing they could have done to stop it other than wait for it to get to the street to burn itself out.

I'm the first one to love getting a fat overtime check but I don't hope for riots, murders or other disasters to make the money. Nor do I sit around and waste time when it does happen. I'm sure none of those guys and gals out there fighting this thing want to be there working for 24 hours straight and getting little sleep on cots while dirty and breathing smoke all night / day long.

Become a volunteer / reserve firefighter or police officer to see how fun it is when you work 24 hours straight. Let's see what you're made of.

mtbr member
    Well said shmrcksean! I have several friends who are "Hot Shots" and sure they make big bucks with all the OT, but I know damn well they would rather be home with their families than working 18-20 hours a day. Kudos to all the men & women who put their lives on the line to help get these fires under control.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by proxy
    true dat....very sickening to see.....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Jus' Ridin' Along

Wrong

on several counts:
    First, it's not the guys and gals on the ground that need to be held accountable, it's the brass and the politicians. While agreeing the fire should have and could have been stopped in Limestone, it wasn't the firefighters fault they were understaffed and under-equipped, it's the politician's. There should have been no reason the fire jumped Santiago Canyon and the 12 guys had to silver suit to stay alive.
    And shmrksean, while you were out there, if you were there between 0600and 1730 Monday; notice any air support? Neither did I and I was looking down on you from the water company. Again, not the ground pounders fault, but certainly their misfortune.

Second, couch potatoe; were you up here? Funny, I didn't see you following me when I hiked up Piss'nMoan (right behind my house) at 0330 Wed. Too bad, you would have witnessed an amazing firestorm that looked like hell itself and sounded like a dozen F-18s taking off at once. And you would have seen the absolootlyfuknscaredcrapless look on my face as well as the firefighters I encountered. For that kinda job, I dam well better see a fat paycheck.

Last, your friend in Silverado. His house is where? From my best guestimate, and I've been here the whole frekin time, no homes were lost. Yeah, some rectums got a little tight (including my own), but "almost" only counts with thermonuclear warheads. And did your friend have his property brushed? All the cordwood moved away from the house? All the the rest of the stuff tarped or moved? I can't tell you how many homes I see up here that are woefully unprepared for fire season, which by the way is all year in this part of the country. Since Monday I spent many backbreaking hours moving firewood, lopping trees, moving crap, and nailing sprinklers on my heighbors roofs. And a few spent talking to the fire crews who walked through making comments about which places had a chance and which did not. Luckily, even though my house could be considered by some a wooden tent, I got the nod for all the clearing and planting my wife and I did.
    So do your friend a favor: Instead of that Saturday ride, offer to help him brush, lop and generally clear around his house, man made junk as well. Instead of spending all that coin at the LBS, chip in and help your friend buy some Barricade. Then watch the video with him on how to use it to protect his retirement.
    And instead of making really stupid comments about firefighters, c'mon up here and join the Silverado Modjeska VFD;maybe you'll grow enough gonads to ride and protect the trails around here, along with your pal's house.
    Sincerely,
    BobL, aka CanyunTrash
    If ya gotta good tool, build a shed over it

"The most blatant lies are told just after a fishing trip, during a war, and just before an election"