I am lost, I'm no guide

Lower Rock Creek, Mammoth (x-post)

Heading up there sometime soon, and am familiar w/ the road to LRC, however, I am not sure where the trail comes off the main road up top, and frankly, I don't want to do any unnecessary climbing! Can anyone help me w/ landmarks, or something to check out so I don't miss the start of the ride. Thx!
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gobike
    Heading up there sometime soon, and am familiar w/ the road to LRC, however, I am not sure where the trail comes off the main road up top, and frankly, I don't want to do any unnecessary climbing! Can anyone help me w/ landmarks, or something to check out so I don't miss the start of the ride. Thx!

The top of RockCreek starts off a turn off of the 395.
    I can remember the name but im going to guess LowerRockCreek Road.
    I know for fact its south of Tom's Place and UpperRock Road.

Once you turn their is a small dirt paking area on the right, and the trails starts on the left of the road, cant miss the trail, its marked.

I road the Trail last April, and was it a blast!!!!

Have fun!
    Intense Tracer

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr
    The top of RockCreek starts off a turn off of the 395.
    I can remember the name but im going to guess LowerRockCreek Road.
    I know for fact its south of Tom's Place and UpperRock Road.

Once you turn their is a small dirt paking area on the right, and the trails starts on the left of the road, cant miss the trail, its marked.

I road the Trail last April, and was it a blast!!!!

Have fun!
    Like Porcupine Rim in moab, Rock creek is a must ride if you are in Mammoth. The ride starts about 100 yds from 395, so if you ride by the trail head you didn't miss it by much. If its a hot day do yourself a favor and shuttle it, the climb up is totally exposed and you will bake. Beware too, the locals none too friendly so please be courteous. Probably from dealing with out town downhillers and freeriders.

I am lost, I'm no guide
    Thanks for the info, I'm stoked!

2nd related question. Footloose sports states that you can access some of the mountains trails (paper route, Big Ring, etc) from Twin Lakes. I know exactly where they are talking about, however, can you ride these trails before the mountain opens up? From their website, it appears that you can. I have seen plenty of the park patrol on the trails when the mountain is open and really don't feel like getting fined. I'm going to call up there tomarrow.

3rd! Anyone done any riding by Inyo Craters? I've done some snow shoeing out there and have heard of some trails. Any rec's???
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

cask conditioned
    3rd! Anyone done any riding by Inyo Craters? I've done some snow shoeing out there and have heard of some trails. Any rec's???
    I rode there a while back and it was extremely boring. Not even very scenic.

As for LRC, the sign you'll see at the trailhead even says "Rock Creek Mountain Bike Trail ." How cool is that?

I am lost, I'm no guide
    As for LRC, the sign you'll see at the trailhead even says "Rock Creek Mountain Bike Trail ." How cool is that?[/QUOTE]

Another reason why Mammoth is the greatest area on the face of this planet...

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

I rode the craters

Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    I rode there a while back and it was extremely boring. Not even very scenic.

As for LRC, the sign you'll see at the trailhead even says "Rock Creek Mountain Bike Trail ." How cool is that?
    several years ago and it wasn't very exciting. mostly doubletrack on what would be snowmobile trails in teh wintertime. the craters are kind of interesting but the ride itself is nothing stellar by any stretch.

YR

mtbr member

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    several years ago and it wasn't very exciting. mostly doubletrack on what would be snowmobile trails in teh wintertime. the craters are kind of interesting but the ride itself is nothing stellar by any stretch.

YR
    Us too, and the trails had somethign "extra bonus": deep pumice sections that were very similar to riding in soft beach sand and that were occasionally pretty long.

Hmm....perfect for a 2-stroke 350...

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Us too, and the trails had somethign "extra bonus": deep pumice sections that were very similar to riding in soft beach sand and that were occasionally pretty long.

Hmm....perfect for a 2-stroke 350...
    that on a motorcycle or in my 4 X 4 the trails would have been perfrect. But on my MTB, not so much.

The crowing jewel in the ride was when we got kind of lost. we somehow lost when we lost track of the red marker in the trees (yeah, good thing to do when you've never been on a trail before. Follow the random markers in the trees that snowmobiles use to navigate in the wintertime). Anyway, we found some people collecting firwood who had a map and showed us clearly where we were and where we needed to go.

turns out they were camping at a campground just down the road a bit. they told us to knock on the camper door and thier mother would feed us, water us, or just give us a place to rest if we needed it. We didn't do that but back to the jewel.

at the campground was a stream and the "trail" went through the stream. Keep in mind, we're riding in Mammoth in July so the stream is comprised entirely of what? Yep, snow melt. Since it's early in the melting season, the stream was also quite wide. So, I had to wade through the stream with water up to my waist once to scope it out. then I went back to get my bike and carry it to the other side. Then I went back and carried my sister's bike. The stream was about 40 feet wide and the water was maybe 35 degrees.

Two things are certain when one does this after riding for an hour and a half or so. 1) instant leg cramps. 2) major shrinkage! (I kept that one to myself. didn't feel that my sister needed to know about it.

mtbr member
    that on a motorcycle or in my 4 X 4 the trails would have been perfrect. But on my MTB, not so much.

The crowing jewel in the ride was when we got kind of lost. we somehow lost when we lost track of the red marker in the trees (yeah, good thing to do when you've never been on a trail before. Follow the random markers in the trees that snowmobiles use to navigate in the wintertime). Anyway, we found some people collecting firwood who had a map and showed us clearly where we were and where we needed to go.

turns out they were camping at a campground just down the road a bit. they told us to knock on the camper door and thier mother would feed us, water us, or just give us a place to rest if we needed it. We didn't do that but back to the jewel.

at the campground was a stream and the "trail" went through the stream. Keep in mind, we're riding in Mammoth in July so the stream is comprised entirely of what? Yep, snow melt. Since it's early in the melting season, the stream was also quite wide. So, I had to wade through the stream with water up to my waist once to scope it out. then I went back to get my bike and carry it to the other side. Then I went back and carried my sister's bike. The stream was about 40 feet wide and the water was maybe 35 degrees.

Two things are certain when one does this after riding for an hour and a half or so. 1) instant leg cramps. 2) major shrinkage! (I kept that one to myself. didn't feel that my sister needed to know about it.
    haha, good write up.
    Keep in mind snow melt and also SNOW.
    I was their around InyoCraters last July4th weekend and their was still snow patches!
    Very fun to ride through!

I would say skip InyoCraters but defintly check out the 2 craters. They are amazing!

I'll give you a secret on one of my all time favorite trails! Called Mountain View and starts at Mineret Summit. The bottom part of the trail intersects Inyo Craters Loop, but MV ends the quake fault.

have fun
    Intense Tracer

I am lost, I'm no guide
    Thanks for the tip. I am familiar w/ Mountain View. When I was back in college 10 years ago, I 4 wheeled that trail! That's a great area. I've snow shoed to the craters before, and am familiar w/ the area, that's why I was wondering if there was something I was missing because it doesn't strike me as a strellar area to ride.

I called Footloose today and they said that the lower part of the mountain (paper route, big ring area) is snow free and can be accessed from Twin Lakes. I'm going to get up there and see what I feel like doing. I'm stoked on Lower Rock Creek though! Especially because we have a shuttle!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Inyo Craters to Deadman Creek/Deadman Pass

The crowing jewel in the ride was when we got kind of lost
    I rode this one last year with some friends and we kind of got lost too. Heck, the best part of this ride was getting kinda lost. We rode past Inyo Craters then along the double track and into the woods it was epic. We ran out of water so we had to head back at Deadman creek/Deadman Pass. Luckily on the way back we found a guy doing trail maintenance who offered us our fill of water and sports drinks. We were talking about how close we had come to June Lake! I really wished we would have started earlier and headed straight to June, that would have been mega epic, if it's even possible! Maps do make things look possible right? I'll be heading back there this August I'll pack a second bladder and water filter and see if I can encourage some of the guys to go for another epic get kinda lost journey again.

It gets very beautiful out there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtbski; 06-10-2004 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a title

Just passing through....
    Thanks for the tip. I am familiar w/ Mountain View. When I was back in college 10 years ago, I 4 wheeled that trail! That's a great area. I've snow shoed to the craters before, and am familiar w/ the area, that's why I was wondering if there was something I was missing because it doesn't strike me as a strellar area to ride.

I called Footloose today and they said that the lower part of the mountain (paper route, big ring area) is snow free and can be accessed from Twin Lakes. I'm going to get up there and see what I feel like doing. I'm stoked on Lower Rock Creek though! Especially because we have a shuttle!

I'm stoked too. I'm heading up in late July. Hopefully it won't be too hot, cuz I likely won't have a shuttle for LRC, but I plan to do it anyway if possible. I'm gonna do Mountain View as well.

Any suggestions on a good trail for a beginner? I just bought my wife a mountain bike and her bike handling skills are not that great yet. The more scenic the better. She absolutely loves Mammoth (as do I).
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Take her on the Gondolla .. to the top!

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    ... ...Any suggestions on a good trail for a beginner? I just bought my wife a mountain bike and her bike handling skills are not that great yet. The more scenic the better. She absolutely loves Mammoth (as do I).
    My friend took his wife up to the top. She's a new biker and she's not athletic by any stretch of the imagination. She's about 50 and she's only been riding about 6 months. Actually, I thought the guy was nuts for taking his wife to the top! She later confessed to being horrified at first. But she did well. They rode primarily down the easier route down the back side I forget the trail name. She did well and they did it again the next day.

She's the one on the left with the scared look. It must have been all that unecessary full face and armor that scared her!

Off The Top!
    Last edited by mtbski; 06-09-2004 at 07:10 PM.

mtbr member

Love Mammoth too

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    Any suggestions on a good trail for a beginner? I just bought my wife a mountain bike and her bike handling skills are not that great yet. The more scenic the better. She absolutely loves Mammoth (as do I).
    Mountain View (pics) is fun for a beginner as long as they are going down hill. The soft stuff can slow them down though!

Hard Core is scenic (panorama), but the climbing will soon turn back those not in shape.

As for the other trails, you can do tons of singletrack all the way to the craters from Mountain View. Just get a good map and go!

Trail pics at:
    http://www.allsingletrack.com/Mammot...th%20Lakes.htm

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Mountain View (pics) is fun for a beginner as long as they are going down hill. The soft stuff can slow them down though!

Hard Core is scenic (panorama), but the climbing will soon turn back those not in shape.

As for the other trails, you can do tons of singletrack all the way to the craters from Mountain View. Just get a good map and go!

Trail pics at:
    http://www.allsingletrack.com/Mammot...th%20Lakes.htm
    Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I thought about shuttling Mountain View with her, but I wasn't sure if that would be appropriate for her. I think she'll enjoy it.

I'll probably take her up the Gondola as well, but I may do that first myself for evaluation (and for at least one ride down it by myself.. ). Sounds like she'd enjoy it as well.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 06-16-2004 at 11:20 AM.

I am lost, I'm no guide

Just got back

from Mammoth. Camped at Twin Lakes w/ the family. Had an experience w/ an overzealous bear. Had the campground to ourselves from Thursday until Sunday. Apparently, school must be out because Sunday night the campground filled up pretty quick. Campgrounds and the mandatory shuttles in the valley going towards the Postpile opened up Saturday.

Got 2 rides in.

Rode from Twin Lakes to Paper Route down to Big Ring. Lakes trail SUCKS right now. Very sandy w/ that pumice **** thick as hell, and I ate it hard going towards the two bridges. The crash bordered on extreme as I went off the trail towards the road and had visions of my bike falling down 60 feet to Lake Mary Road. Luckily, that didn't happen, although my cyclometer is now a thing of the past. I had time to kill before I met my wife for dinner, so I rode from the village up to the lodge on 203 and dropped back down on Downtown ( Guilty pleasure,I love this trail; awesome flow). Met my wife/daughter at Giovanni's all cut up and dirty sportin a **** eatin' grin.

Sunday I rode Lower Rock Creek. I left Mammoth, turned off of 395 onto ROCK CREEK ROAD, and could not find the trailhead. After 10 minutes or so of exploring, I decided to drive down 395 to Paradise and backtrack. Well, wouldn't you know it, but the next exit south of ROCK CREEK is LOWER ROCK CREEK! LOL! Found the trail easy enough. Kissed my wife and daughter good by, clipped in and down the trail the Heckler went. 1st third of the trail was amazing. Whipping thru the Aspens, crossing bridges, lots of quick up and downs. Crossed the road (remember to go UP the road when you exit and not down and un unnecessary climb). The 2nd part was SWEET! Very cool flow. It may have been the most perfect ride of my life. I started thinking I could take Gracia or Lopes! LOL!. Then came part 3... Jesus. That was amazing. lots of loose rocks, boulders to negotiate and tight lines. Trackstands were huge for me here. The more I rode, the more confidence I got, however, there were a couple areas where I quickly became humbled, realized I wasn't Gracia or Lopes, but some random joe from Santa Cruz, and dismounted and walked (I'd pay to watch someone climb that rock staircase), and my handlebars touched both ends of the split rock. Lots of surfing thru crushed rock, etc... Two or three spots to get wet w/ tributaries/springs entering the trail, and 2-3 bridges to cross. All in all, the ride took about an hour and 15. BRING WATER. It was friggin hot in that canyon. Amazing ride, and I will be back. Lower Rock Creek is beyond epic. It's a must do and worth whatever drive you must make. Thanks for the help/advice/directions, they all were used! Rock on!

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    I am heading out to Mammoth and riding the bike park a few days. I am leaving july 18th and camping in the twin lakes campground. I think Im gunna hit up LRC on the way down and home. Cant wait!

mtbr member

Ride Mammoth

LRC is an interesting ride but not unique. (Yes, I've ridden it up and down) I can ride plenty of rocky trails where the temperature tops 100 in the summer without going to Mammoth. You end up at the altitude of Bishop. There's a stream for scenery but that's all there is in a canyon and you'd better watch the trail anyway. When in Mammoth I ride the unique surface of pumice and stay at the high cooler altitudes. Some don't like the soft pumice but it's an interesting challenge and great workout.

Save LRC for a late year ride when Mammoth gets cold.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by merrrrjig
    I am heading out to Mammoth and riding the bike park a few days. I am leaving july 18th and camping in the twin lakes campground. I think Im gunna hit up LRC on the way down and home. Cant wait!
    Yep, I'm leaving for there July 18th as well and staying for a week. It depends on how many rides I can get in (the family is going), but LRC is still at number 1 or 2 on my list of rides I'm planning on doing. After looking at the pictures of Mountain View, that may have become number 1.