mtbr member

Los Robles - after the rain.

After reading the posts about trails and rain... I just did Los Robles East/West - Space Mountain for the first time today. Hard to believe as I've been riding the Santa Monicas for >20 years. Maybe I thought it was too small of an area, I don't know...

I see there has been a LOT of great trail work done to the area. Something for everyone.

I diid find that most riders coming down the switchbacks forget to pull to the side to allow us poor climbers to keep moving. Nice enough folks though. Just wish I didn't have to stop on the steeps.

Beautiful ride all around.

--
    Bill

mtbr member
    Space mountain is wide I've done it plenty of times, what I do is move to the up hill side and let the decender take the chance of going over. The switchbacks are the only spot I worry about it and I will play chicken at that point if I'm going up, coming down I yeild to the uphill climber at the switchbacks and will slowdown to pass by on the other sections. IMO sharing is easier than forcing my right of way, less disappointing and a more enjoyable ride. Being a martar on an uphill just makes the climb more difficult. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    You might have encountered a group ride. Space Mountain is popular in general, and notably with a couple of local mtb clubs. The rides can get pretty massive. The members tend to get into that group mentality and, in their "stick-togetherness", are less likely to yield. At least that's what I have noticed. I appreciate it when the leader informs individual riders on the trail that a big group is headed down.
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    All the riders announced the riders behind them. I never ride in large groups (except Cannell a few weeks ago) but I have to agree that most assume they have the right of way due to size. I'm not a team rider or "in training" for events so it's all good.

--
    Bill