Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004

Los Pinos Trail?

Is Los Pinos Trail on the Ortega HWY. any good? is it easy to find? Its it doable on a DH bike? Any info would help. Thank You

If you have to ask...

Sure, it's doable on a DH bike

Since all the climbs are hike-a-bikes anyway. At least on a DH bike you might enjoy the descents a little bit more.

Of course, pushing a 45 pound sled up the fifth or sixth hike-a-bike, you will want to crawl into the bushes and cry like a baby until you vow you will sell all your bike stuff and take up sailing (there are no hills to speak of on the water).

Let us know how it goes.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

Chillin the Most
    SHUTTLE........this is what found. http://www.socamtbr.com/trails/los_pinos/los_pinos.htm

Sounds fun. I can honestly say I've never ridden it, but would like to try it sometime. Have to keep this one in mind.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by merrrrjig
    Is Los Pinos Trail on the Ortega HWY. any good? is it easy to find? Its it doable on a DH bike? Any info would help. Thank You
    If you go out and ride this trail on your DH bike, my guess is that you won't be back. There are several thousand feet of climbing on the way "down". With a big ring only, you will be hiking all of these climbs. To ride the 11 miles, and having to hike every climb, I'd say you're looking at about a 5 hour ride. If 4 hours of hiking, and 1 hour of descending is your gig, then you're all over it!

If you have to ask...

So, my take on Los Pinos is

it really isn't a lot of fun. The climbs are unclimbable, because they are so damned steep and way loose. There are a lot of them. You will walk them. I guarantee it.

The first half of the trail has some wicked steep loose-rock-filled ruts that claim to be the trail. Riding them is challenging, but kinda fun. There is only one pitch I can't ride on my XC bike in this section, but I consider myself pretty good at these things. If ruts spook you, or loose, steep cobblestones, you won't enjoy it.

The second half is quite a bit better. The uphills can be achieved in the saddle, and the downhills are a lot twistier, with cool rock features to deal with. A few spots are sketchy, but if you are on your game you can do it. However, you are likely to be quite tired at this point, and that always makes things harder.

All in all, SJT is so much more fun (and you can see it a lot of the time) that you will be kicking yourself for choosing the wrong trail.

Would I ride Los Pinos again? Yeah. I would, and I would bring along somebody that HAS NO IDEA what they are in for. Somebody I secretly hate (or one of my best riding buddies- it is always good to see them suffer). And I would laugh.

miles

Its only 1" on the map!

I thought your plan was...

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    it really isn't a lot of fun. The climbs are unclimbable, because they are so damned steep and way loose. There are a lot of them. You will walk them. I guarantee it.

The first half of the trail has some wicked steep loose-rock-filled ruts that claim to be the trail. Riding them is challenging, but kinda fun. There is only one pitch I can't ride on my XC bike in this section, but I consider myself pretty good at these things. If ruts spook you, or loose, steep cobblestones, you won't enjoy it.

The second half is quite a bit better. The uphills can be achieved in the saddle, and the downhills are a lot twistier, with cool rock features to deal with. A few spots are sketchy, but if you are on your game you can do it. However, you are likely to be quite tired at this point, and that always makes things harder.

All in all, SJT is so much more fun (and you can see it a lot of the time) that you will be kicking yourself for choosing the wrong trail.

Would I ride Los Pinos again? Yeah. I would, and I would bring along somebody that HAS NO IDEA what they are in for. Somebody I secretly hate (or one of my best riding buddies- it is always good to see them suffer). And I would laugh.

miles
    If I remember correctly, the last time you were exclaiming what a ***** of a bummer this trail was, you said you were going to talk about how "great" it was so people would go check it out. Maybe there should be a sign near the bottom that that would greet the descending ride like this "Welcome to the Club, now go sucker someone esle in riding it"

Bill

If you have to ask...

Psst! Hey, shut up!

I'm trying reverse psychology this time. I figure I'll get merrrjig to want to try it, thinking to himself "hey, it can't be as bad as they make it out to be." It won't be untill he is at the bottom of the second HUGE, STEEP downhill when he will realize that there is NO GOING BACK NOW. He'll have the next 4 hours or so to regret his decision, and consider ditching his bike in the weeds, only to make an insurance claim on it later to buy that sailboat.

miles

banned
    Apr 2004

Los Pinos = 0 fun

Quote Originally Posted by merrrrjig
    maybe it's just me but hike a biking up and down hills sucks.