Liaison

Los Penasquitos Canyon CAC Meeting Tonight: PLEASE ATTEND

Los Penasquitos Canyon CAC Meeting TONIGHT.

Thursday, July 17th at 7:00 PM

Meeting Location: Los Penasquitos Canyon Ranch House off of Black Mountain Road.

HEADS UP!! A new version of the Carmel Mountain and Del Mar Mesa Preserves Resource Management Plan is up for review as an informational item at this meeting.

In 2004, after the disappointing 1st draft was reviewed, many stakeholders made comments and asked to be informed by the City when any progress was made on the Plan. That did not happen. They took 4 years to complete the revised Plan, and they are giving us only 2 weeks to review the 373 pages and make comments.

This is too short and too fast. Your objection should be to the lack of notice provided, no response given to the last draft comments and lack of time provided for this review. Please ask for an extension to September 15th, 2008, with the provision that the CAC and trails community receive updated drafts no later than October 15th, 2008, so that the CAC can vote on the plan in November.

You can find the Plan, Appendices and Maps here:

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning/mscp/index.shtml

The trail plan can be found under 'Appendices' - item number 6.

Some points to consider:

· The Trail Plan for Del Mar Mesa from over 7 years ago remains the same. It says only service roads will be open as 'trails.' Does this mean no singletrack?

· The “Tunnels” area is not mentioned. If it doesn’t get into the plan what are the chances those trails will ever be opened?

· Ridge trails that connect Tunnel trails are mentioned, but it states that they will be closed.

· There is no mention of a continuation or connection to the recently repaired “Duck Pond Trail”. Instead it is a proposed viewpoint.

· On page 9-9, it states about Del Mar Mesa Preserve: 'The proposed public trails system is based in large part on existing trails and existing use patterns,' which sounds encouraging. But then, the plan completely ignores ALL the singletrack trails in the preserve!

NOTE: The city is currently only accepting comments on this plan until July 31, 2008! Put your thoughts in writing, bring them to the meeting and give your input. Please state that we need more time to review this new draft in order to make any responsible decisions.

Directions:
    --I-15 to Mercy/Scripps Poway Parkway exit (1 north of Mira Mesa Blvd).
    --Mercy Road West to Black Mountain Road (bottom of the hill), north.
    --Black Mtn Road North to first light, "Canyonside Park", west.
    --West all the way through Canyonside park, then through the white
    fence/gate further west into the dirt-roaded ranch house complex.
    -- turn left on the dirt where you must, park near the big barn, then walk
    southerly around he barn to see the Ranch House. Go into the courtyard, and
    the readily observable meeting room in on the north side of the courtyard.

Can’t make it to the meeting? You can send your comments to:
    Attn: Kristy Forburger, City of San Diego MSCP

202 C Street, 5th Floor, San Diego, CA 92101
    Last edited by Gardner; 07-17-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    SDMBA Liaison, Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves

mtbr member
    Big Thanks to all that attended the CAC last night. We could not have had a better result than the unanimous CAC vote to extend the public comment period, City Staff's apparent acceptance of that, and the extra bonus that our new Deputy Director of Open Space was in attendance for his first visit to Los Pen... just in time to see 30 members of the trails community acting and speaking well.

Out of last night came some big movements, some bigger tasks before us and a reaffirmation that this "management plan" is the ground on which future trails access wars will be fought. As Deputy Director Zirkle reiterated: trails and usage not contemplated in this plan are subject to enforcement and closure by Rangers, AND the City may well use this plan as a model for others throughout the Multiple Species Conservation Act lands (ie the open space parks).

There are a number of things we're going to need you (if you're reading this) to do, and a small group of strategists are already working on a plan, but suffice it to say it won't all be as easy as attending a meeting and acting reasonable.

--We're going to have to produce our own trail maps of the DMM and of Deer Canyon. Note that "The Shits"/Duck Pond trail is shown as a "closed trail" in the draft plan, for example. We're going to have to identify which trails are out there that we CAN sacrifice, and that will be hard for some to recognize the need for.

--We're going to need persons with biological expertise to critique and review the biological/habitat sections of the plan, which appear outdated and incomplete.

--We'll need to cull through the document to find and object to each and every of the little comments that characterize biking as a "destructive sport" but leave out other such "sports" or refer to them as "established uses".

--We'll need to check the "cites" used to reports in the back section, and provide our own from the body of data that's come into acceptance since 2001 regarding trails impacts and construction. The company producing the plan cut-n-pasted from their 2001 debacle in many cases, and they neatly exclude consideration of currently accepted science regarding trail use impacts and construction/design.

--We'll need to update and provide a better trails construction section for the corporate authors of this plan

That's a few of the things that aren't as glamorous or fun as just going out to ride and such, but we'll need to do them if you want to have a trails network ten years from now that results from your work this Fall and next Winter.

i can't type the letter s
    Very cool E! What is the time frame to get this done?

tom

mtbr member
    Based on post-meeting chats last night and some reflection, I think our target dates need to be:

--September 15th: trails plan element of the RMP
    --November 15th: biological,habitat element of the RMP

We're going to schedule a public "workshop" on the trails element for the Sept. CAC meeting, so we've got to have our ducks in order for that one, and we'll have time for follow up and to address the text elements of the RMP before the cutoff in November (this presumes City Staff confirm the extension reccomended by the CAC last night).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Scrub Oak trimming

FYI Someone has done some more cutting of the scrub oak canopy in Tunnels.

Noticed a whole bunch of new cuttings and branches just haphazardly thrown onto the trail at the top of Bobsled at noon today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rathbone
    FYI Someone has done some more cutting of the scrub oak canopy in Tunnels.

Noticed a whole bunch of new cuttings and branches just haphazardly thrown onto the trail at the top of Bobsled at noon today.
    Grrr - This really pisses me off. Not only will this just encourage trail planners to exclude mountain bikers from any area even remotely sensitive, that scrub oak canopy is a special place. I can't think of another like it in the area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The cutting was not done by bikers. Me and my buddies were riding that trail and rode up on some old geezers with horses and branch cutters. They had just left the branches in the middle of the trail. When asked what they were doing. They said that they were making it easier to ride with their horses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The cutting was not done by bikers. Me and my buddies were riding that trail and rode up on some old geezers with horses and branch cutters. They had just left the branches in the middle of the trail. When asked what they were doing. They said that they were making it easier to ride with their horses.
    What day and what time? I don't suppose you got pictures?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing in Action
    What day and what time? I don't suppose you got pictures?
    We went through at 1:00pm on Sunday 07/20/08.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    We went through at 1:00pm on Sunday 07/20/08.
    Thanks 4SBiker. My guess is that someone (probably EBasil) from the PQ CAC will want more information. I would check back on this thread from time to time and watch your PMs.