Thread: Los penasquitos

most memberable
    May 2011

Los penasquitos

Rode LP for the first time in about ten years on Saturday.

Noticed a few (new) changes since then.

Camino Ruiz trail is new to me and was fun/challenging, esp the last Paris Rubaix section...had bike in wrong gear as I hit it...no clean.....next time! Anybody know when this opened up, bc the 2009 kiosk map has it identified, but the park website map doesn't - go figure. Did this trail used to be unofficial at one time, kinda like tunnels BITD? Cuz it sure does appear to have been!

Also noticed the north side trail extends all the way to Via Sorrento...from what I recall, it hadn't way back when.

And, the trail subsystem east of Black Mountain Rd wasn't opened "officially" back then...but, I did these, too...it's a nice addition to the overall mileage to the place. The north side hill is a nice climb.

Some day, one may be able to bike all the way from west terminus of LP to Goodan Ranch and to MTRP, once the Marines get onboard with the program!

Lastly, I did not venture into Lopez Canyon this time...but plan on it next time. Is the trail into Lopez Canyon still an outNback or is there a loop in there somewhere?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Shhhhh! Everybody thinks it still sucks.

The Camino Ruiz trail has been official for some time. It never was a trail before that but it was huge in that it was proven the city was capable of creating a "trail" that was not 8 feet wide and consists of crushed gravel or DG. The tiled section was needed because the trail proved itself unsustainable shortly after it opened and had lots of problems. It was built with little/no biker input but was fixed by SDMBA(if I remember correctly)

The north trail has always extended to Via Sorrento but it was closed to bikers for many years and once they(city) renovated/created the wet lands in the area, the service road was put in over a beautiful single track that was once there many years ago.

The trails that go east of Black Mountain are part of the Sea to Sea trail that has yet to be complete. You can follow it all the way out to Sycamore/Goodan legally.

As far as a Lopez Canyon loop, your best bet is to climb the fire road to the south of the parking lot up to the buildings (Qualcomm?) From there cut across the parking lot and there is a rim trail (jogging path) that will take you east to the top of Old Lopez Road. You can descend there and complete your loop. It is short, probably less than a mile but it makes a good turnaround if you were coming from Canyonview Park.

But again, DON'T TELL ANYBODY!
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

most memberable
    May 2011
    The ST trails just inside (nearest the creek on both sides) are now mostly double-wide. BITD, they were kinda-sorta-used-to-be open to bikes!

I say these should be opened to bikes. I also hiked these inside trails all the way to the waterfall the next day...and hardly saw a soul on them...heck, most hikers (95%) were hiking the dirt roads...on both sides of the creek...what are they, afraid of the better scenery and shade nearest the creek!!!???

Is there any chance in the near future that these become multi-user....again???

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Not going to happen any time too soon but...

Come to the CAC meetings. I post them up about a week before they happen. They have a little influence over the Ranger but she is the authority in opening and closing of the trails.

Ranger Gina Washingtion
    Senior City Parks & Recreation Ranger
    City of San Diego Park & Recreation Dept Open Space Division
    Phone 858-538-8066
    Fax 858-536-8334
    Email GWashinginton@sandiego.gov

She is very nice and very open about the on-goings in the canyon. Understand she is still governed by the Open Spaces Management so there are things that can't always be done through her.

I would start there.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve