mtbr member

Listen! Los Pen trails open!

LIMITED RE-OPENING OF LOS PENASQUITOS!

Ranger Washington has just confirmed that the NORTH SIDE of Los Penasquitos, except for Cobblestone Trail, is OPEN for all users, as of now. This means that the entire North Trail from Canyonside to the construction on the west end and including Bridges Trail singletrack, is open. Telephone Poles/Powerline, Sidehill singletrack and Little Waimea singletrack are open.

Cobblestone remains closed because of ongoing repairs to a large washout at the base of a horse/hike trail at the bottom of The Sh1ts. The Rangers don’t want to open the bike/hike side until the equestrian trail is repaired, likely next weekend. The entire “south side” and all the stream crossings are still closed, pending some major grading and etc… due to washouts and whatnot.

Go check it out! The canyons are green, the singletracks are nearly overgrown and the rain ruts aren’t that bad! Skip Cobblestone and The Sh1ts for now, but ride the hell out of the DMM singletracks before they get bulldozed (that's coming, soon).

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

finally!

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    LIMITED RE-OPENING OF LOS PENASQUITOS!

Ranger Washington has just confirmed that the NORTH SIDE of Los Penasquitos, except for Cobblestone Trail, is OPEN for all users, as of now. This means that the entire North Trail from Canyonside to the construction on the west end and including Bridges Trail singletrack, is open. Telephone Poles/Powerline, Sidehill singletrack and Little Waimea singletrack are open.

Cobblestone remains closed because of ongoing repairs to a large washout at the base of a horse/hike trail at the bottom of The Sh1ts. The Rangers don?t want to open the bike/hike side until the equestrian trail is repaired, likely next weekend. The entire ?south side? and all the stream crossings are still closed, pending some major grading and etc? due to washouts and whatnot.

Go check it out! The canyons are green, the singletracks are nearly overgrown and the rain ruts aren?t that bad! Skip Cobblestone and The Sh1ts for now, but ride the hell out of the DMM singletracks before they get bulldozed (that's coming, soon).
    if cobbles is closed, then the only legal option is to go up Powerline, down Sh!ts, south back into the park and then West on Bridges to Waimea or something to get back up to the DMM right?

YR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    if cobbles is closed, then the only legal option is to go up Powerline, down Sh!ts, south back into the park and then West on Bridges to Waimea or something to get back up to the DMM right?

YR
    Yes, but the work on the base of the Sh1ts, for the horses, is very nearly done. I think Cobbles will be officially open this week.

mtbr member

Good job! CMM and Cobbles

UPDATE:

...from the Rangers:

We have repaired the big washout at the base of the Queens trail.
    Cobbles/Queens trail is now open to all users. Please exercise caution,
    there are a few changes to the trail because of the immense amount of
    water flowing through the area. Have fun and be safe.

The official trails on Carmel Mountain are now open as well. This does
    not include any of the trails that were fenced off in February, that is
    a permanent closure. If you see the fences knocked down, perhaps you
    could take a moment to put them back up and let the Rangers know. We
    are making regular patrols, but with the help of everyone it will work
    better. Thank you, have fun and be safe.

Gina Washington, Senior Park Ranger
    Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve
    Open Space Division
    City of San Diego Park and Recreation Department
    858-538-8066
    gbrown@sandiego.gov

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    sorry for not knowing the proper names of all these areas, but this means the single track up on top of the mesa is now open too? I think you get to that stuff via cobbles.

Also, is there any way to get to the north side from the west end now? Or are we limited to an out and back from the east end?

as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by sf3291
    sorry for not knowing the proper names of all these areas, but this means the single track up on top of the mesa is now open too? I think you get to that stuff via cobbles.

Also, is there any way to get to the north side from the west end now? Or are we limited to an out and back from the east end?
    the north side trail on the west end is closed and/or flooded. I believe the bridges at Sycamore crossing also are washed away and not yet in place.

so, I think that if you start at the west end you're kinda screwed. Unless you don't start at the proper west end trailhead like we do and instead start at either Carmel Creek or Carmel Coutnry road and ride up onto the Del Mar Mesa from the North. Then you can drop down onto the Bridges ST and head east to Powerline over to Sh!ts and Cobbles and beyond.

YR

mtbr member

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by sf3291
    No sweat. The singletracks on the mesa, up top, are always open...until they're bulldozed for the pending developments. In theory, the bulldozing could be this month, and I've been trying to track the likely date with the Rangers that are interacting with Pardee over the "trails" they'll put in along the periphery of the development. Now, with Cobblestone open, we can get them all into a loop, limited by YetiRider's point about the very west end of the north side (which is a "riparian renovation project").

The singletracks that are west of the top of Cobbles and east of Sidehill singletrack are the ones that will be bulldozed. Ride 'em while we got 'em!

well

in honor of the newly opened status of the park, we went out there for the night ride tonight.

suffice it to say that severl sections of the trail are well, different!

the drops from the western end of the DMM down into the trail that hooks up with Eucalyptus were deeply rutted, extremly overgrown, and very challenging. Not necessarily in that order! The overgrown status greatly masked the ruts which made for some fun!

We went up the stair step hike and hooked left instead of turning right back to the mesa for some bonus miles. the top of the hike is overgrown with prickly things so we opted not to put ourselves in the position of receiving more pain and instead took the quick way over to Waimea.

we took the left and just where it heads uphill the focking trail is gone! bulldozed over. I thought that that piece of trail was actually an "official" type trail adn now it's plowed over. WTF hippie boy?

we cross the bridge and get on the ST to hook up to Waimea and it's pretty okay until we get to the mother of all ruts. this bastidge was 4 feet deep and easily 7 feet wide! I'm sure it was due entirely to the grading on top of the hill forcing water down where it's never gone before but now that piece of little ST is hosed.

we headed down littler Waimea figuring little Waimea was going to be one giant rut. for the most part littler W was in good shape although excessively overgrown which made for some tricky descending. there's a few ruts and one 2 foot gap in the trail that we had to dismount for but not to big a deal.

the north side trail to the bridges was okay except for all the sand. man, where the river overflowed is now little Glamis! Bridges was in good shape though. WE made it up Powerline and promptly got lost/disoriented due to the change in scenery now. we finally found the FR to get to the Sh!ts though and headed down. Sh!ts isn't too bad but teh right hand turn halfdway down is slightly rutted. the transition through the dry stream at the bottom is actually smoother now since its been filled in with rocks.

Cobbles is in good shape. I'll warn you that I shortend a few of your "water diversion devices" with my big chainring as I ascended the 20 degree pitch though.................

the intestines are in generally good shape as well with only a few hidden surprises.

overal the place is in decent shape but it's definately rockier than I remember. we just need to beat some of the bushes back and it'll be in fine form again.

YR

mtbr member

Good job!

we took the left and just where it heads uphill the focking trail is gone! bulldozed over. I thought that that piece of trail was actually an "official" type trail adn now it's plowed over. WTF hippie boy?
    I don't know what's up with that! If it's graded, it's Pardee, and "who knows" what the hell they're doing.

we cross the bridge and get on the ST to hook up to Waimea and it's pretty okay until we get to the mother of all ruts. this bastidge was 4 feet deep and easily 7 feet wide! I'm sure it was due entirely to the grading on top of the hill forcing water down where it's never gone before but now that piece of little ST is hosed.
    That one IS Pardee, and there's another rut that's 10' wide and 10' deep.

Cobbles is in good shape. I'll warn you that I shortend a few of your "water diversion devices" with my big chainring as I ascended the 20 degree pitch though.................
    Well, the whole idea was for those monsters to protect the trail in the rainy season and to be large enough that all our traffic this summer will just smooth them down to a nice, hardened profile that will still work, next year. I don't want that focking trail to be my career out there, and it has been for a while.

What did you think of how narrow and singletracky Upper Cobbles has become since the work, rains and "time off" we gave it?