Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TCB
    mtbr member

Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve is closed

Email I received from Senior Park Range for Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve

Well the rainy season has officially started. We were trying not to do it, but b/c of the large amount of water coming down the stream we decided we needed to close the trails. I'll let you know when we open them, it should only be a day or two, everything is soaking in nicely. We have already lost one bridge on the east part of the TCT, we'll have to wait until we can get into the Preserve to see if we've lost any more.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    PQ Preserve closes when a thick fog arrives....

But we need the rain BADLY. Let it rain!
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Los Pen stays wet for way longer than you'd think if you didn't know how clayey it is and that it's right on top of the water table. This is the worst part of rains... the muddy aftermath. The Preserve sure needs the moisture, though.

Bike Geek
    Looks like more on the way Fri/Sat - hope things aren't still too saturated for it to do some good.

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    Looks like the trial will be closed all week. It was still closed per the rangers this afternoon. Today was the warmest day of the week. Showers in the forecast for Friday night/Saturday morning. Bummer but we really need the rain.

mtbr member
    Man.... lotta tracks in there from yesterday and at least one big group last night. I think droughts (god bless'em) ruin our concepts of patience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Man.... lotta tracks in there from yesterday and at least one big group last night. I think droughts (god bless'em) ruin our concepts of patience.
    what's worse the bike tracks or the F150 ranger tracks?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Any update on PQ? can you ride the north side?

Bike Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by FilthyG
    what's worse the bike tracks or the F150 ranger tracks?
    Bike tracks if it loses us access to multi-use trails. The rangers are in there repairing washed out bridges ad doing their jobs - poachers going in and riding a closed park can ruin it for the rest of us.

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    True, and the weather report now shows rain starting Friday and going until Monday. If the trail isn't open now I doubt it will be before next weekend assuming the rain stops Monday.

I know we need the rain but still...

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    North side and south side are all part of the canyon. If one side is closed because of rain, then the other is as well. Unfortunately, some fail to heed the closures and put all of us at risk.

We lost the entire north side of PQ in the 90's but got it back. Let's not screw it up again. Wait until PQ proper is opened.

mtbr member
    I ran about 10 miles in PQ today and noticed a lot of mtb tracks and ruts in the fresh mud - both on the roads and on some single track where we're not supposed to be anyway. Let's use some judgment because, yes, in some cases the mtb tracks looked a lot worse than the F150 tracks and I for one don't want pissed off rangers deciding the easiest thing to do is to just ban riding altogether.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    I think, and I'm just speculate'n, that those riders rutting up our trails and reputations are NOT posters on this site. If lurkers, then pay attention.......

More rain this weekend renders PQ a mud pit for the next few WEEKS. I was thinking over that past few months while I rode the Tunnels that once rain arrives, those precious (well, lets be honest, I'm not so smitten with the place) Tunnels will be a real mess once rain and bike tires meet in the middle. I prefer the wide open (OUCH, my forehead) trails anywho! BUT PLEASE, if this is a rainy year, PQ should be your LAST place to ride.

Keep your horses warm, it'll be wet the next few days I hear.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i rode through there this morning on the way to work from the 15 to sorrento... yup, sure did. totally ignored the signs and continued on to work.

The trails, after a week since the rain, were pretty much dry with a couple of damp spots and various puddles, but no biggy.

I understand (especially for the type of dirt pq has) a closure immediately following a storm makes sense. but, why is it that when the dirt is damp the place should be closed? if i look on the ground and see a tire imprint, what is the problem with that? I can see the argument of there being a puddle occupying most of the trail and people widen the trail avoiding it which is bad, but imprints in mostly dry dirt do not harm anything. now the truck tracks that i saw (especially the ones where they must have gotten stuck) do a bit of damage.

TCB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danlorek
    i rode through there this morning on the way to work from the 15 to sorrento... yup, sure did. totally ignored the signs and continued on to work.

The trails, after a week since the rain, were pretty much dry with a couple of damp spots and various puddles, but no biggy.

I understand (especially for the type of dirt pq has) a closure immediately following a storm makes sense. but, why is it that when the dirt is damp the place should be closed? if i look on the ground and see a tire imprint, what is the problem with that? I can see the argument of there being a puddle occupying most of the trail and people widen the trail avoiding it which is bad, but imprints in mostly dry dirt do not harm anything. now the truck tracks that i saw (especially the ones where they must have gotten stuck) do a bit of damage.
    I agree with you that PQ should be open sooner after it rains; unfortunately we are not the ones making those decisions, in the months to come it will be vary important to obey all trail closures no matter how ridiculous they may be, all I can say or allowed to say is get ready for round two of the trail access wars.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I rode there 2x this week. But, I did NOT go into the Canyon. I stayed up on the north mesa, dropped down to the next cyn north, up to that ridgeline which parallels the 56.
    You should not go into the PQ main cyn, nor do you need to to get riding in.
    The mesa's and other canyons were dry, any mudpits were easily avoidable.
    Too many people think it is fun to ride through the mud. heck they feel like the advertisement and they put their bike atop the Range Rover...so rad...NOT
    Ride smart, ride dry and stay out of the PARK AND STAY OUT OF THE MUD.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC

Imbecile!

Oh, I’m sorry let’s use words you can understand. Dummy!

You and I do not get to make or decide what rules to break in PQ. The ranger has first hand knowledge of the canyon. If they say it is closed, then STAY THE HECK OUT!!!

Personally, I would love to see it open sooner but it is not. There are 5 other rides in the immediate area (Black Mountain, Poway Trails, PQ Mesas, Santa Luz, ANY PAVED STREET) that should be utilized.

I’m not sure what the ticket price is for trespassing but I hope it is high and you have to go pleading to your mommy to pay it. I have seen too much trouble caused by poachers like you.

Grow a few brain cells and wise up. Riding in a preserve is a privilege and not a right. It can be revoked with little fanfare and I don’t want it to happen again.

Harsh, sure but how arrogant can you be? Sorry, big words again but try the dictionary (book with lots of words) if you don’t get it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    wow, you are absolutely right. As a result of bankerboy's highly intelectual post I have seen the errors of my ways. To all of you who use the trail, I apologize for my imbecile and arrogant ways.

Now what does imbecile and arrogant mean??

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Don't fight, fellas. Sure, it's frustrating to see people ride, or post about it, when the Preserve is closed. There's a whole host of people for whom convenience or "my workout" is more important than preservation of access, and besides -- they don't see any direct connection between whatever they choose to do and repercussions. These cyclists might be really strong on a bike, but they either haven't been riding in and around PQ long enough to know about repercussions, just aren't in the information loop or are just self appraised badasses showin' how they can stick it to the man. Whatever.

The fact is, the anti-bike haters still outnumber us on the regulatory bodies and it doesn't matter one whit to them that the Del Mar Mesa equestrians ride in the rain, churn trails or cut illegal trails. There's no point to justifying our provision of ammunition to the haters on the basis that "but they did it, too". Hell, that doesn't even work in second grade.

Another fact is that cyclists vastly outnumber other user groups. When 5% of us violate, it leaves huge marks in clay trails. This looks bad, so the haters can use it, it tells other cyclists that "it must be okay because Dan Lorek did it too" (that's what they say...dan lorek ) and it focks up the damn trails.

Does it suck that the few, few days of rain we get per year can result in super-long closures? Yes. Does it suck that the Rangers will leave the park closed until they assess that an emergency vehicle (ie TRUCK) could drive to reach you if hurt (this is the standard, fyi)? Yes. Does it suck even more to see humongo ruts from Ranger trucks? Sure. These are just the reality of it all, though. Step back and figure what it would be like to go back to 1994-2004, when every bike in the Preserve was deemed either a real or potential outlaw, when the haters were actively organizing a "ticket and enforce" program to harass kids on bikes, and when "singletrack" & "bikes" were total contradictions.

Tough it out. Dan Lorek, I hear your ass looks great in Jelly Belly lycra and a jersey. Go roadie for a while on the way to work. It doesn't count if you stay upright.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Untill recently I haven't been to PQ in 8 years and was blown away by the trails that were once illegal, now are bike friendly. Somebodies put a lot of effort into making these trails legal. Hopefully not too many more dans will try and reverse the trend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yeah, seriously... kill that arrogant and imbecile-like dan lorek for riding on trails that are dry after seven days since the rain.

TCB
    mtbr member
    yeah, seriously... kill that arrogant and imbecile-like dan lorek for riding on trails that are dry after seven days since the rain.
    This is from todays SDMBA Trail News.

"It looks like 2008 will be a busy year in terms of trails access issues, perhaps as important to multiuse supporters as was the ‘04/’05 season when our coordinated efforts were successful to legalize singletrack and full-size trails in Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve. In 2008, the issues of trail closures and access will apparently return to Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve, which now includes the “Del Mar Mesa”, “Tunnels” and “Carmel Mtn Mesa” areas. We’ll be faced with the opportunity to either create a broad network of singletrack and fire-road trails, or to be shut out and relegated to bike paths or outlaw status"

SDMBA Trail News
    Last edited by TCB; 12-10-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Typical of San Diego County's trails.
    Time to move to Whistler!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Geritol Power

In jest of course

I think "Outlaw" has a nice ring to it or how about Desperado Mountain Bikers?

mtbr member
    I did write that stuff in the Trail News, and it was May, 2005 when I was given permission to remove the No Bikes sign from Cobblestone trail. A bunch of riders were coming down The Shits and heard me banging on the darn rivets with a hammer and chisel... I have that particular sign (the one that was just below the pond, headed toward the whoops) on a nail in my garage as a battered symbol. That was after a year of hard work to undo ridiculous restrictions that still aren't fully remedied, but it was sweet to open up the north side!

I was just a figurehead, though. The instrumental were the 50+ mountainbikers that came to CAC meetings when we asked for it, showing up in uniform, in suits, with kids in tow, or on bikes. The 200+ that wrote letters and emails to the Councilmen and Supervisor each time we put the word out, the 30+ that took half a day to attend and speak at a commission hearing downtown, and the 40+ that spent two 4-5 hour days each totally rebuilding Cobblestone Trail. When we get our act together, we have the ability to really make ourselves matter as "environmentalists" and "stewards of public lands".

It's kinda too bad that we have to get our act together, but in 2008, the "Tunnels" parcel will come into the Preserve, the Camino Ruiz Trail will be constructed and opened, the Clews Horse Ranch will begin populating with up to 136 head of horses directly connected to the Preserve and the reorganized anti-bike hatemongers will be hard at work to undo multiuse trails designations at Cobblestone, the Carmel Mtn Mesa, Little Waimea and Bridges, while seeking to bar bikes from the Tunnels and Camino Ruiz Trails. If we don't get back together in this next year and more, people with money to spend and money to earn on the Preserve will ensure a roll-back to 1994, when the Sierra Club president led the votes to ban bikes from all singletrack in San Diego.

We're the real environmentalists. Not the kooks in birkenstocks that want to lock off our public lands until they're bulldozed or the socialites content to churn trails and contaminate streams in a park they want us to pay to keep private for them, alone. Responsible public use of public lands is a reason to preserve our natural habitats, protect them from development and ensure generations to come will have the opportunities we've had. e pluribus focking unum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast