Big Hittin'

Los Liones Hiking Trail. Santa Monica/Palisades

So ive just been exploring on google maps trying to find new trails. i wanted to explore the east topanga canyon fire road area.

so today i decide to hike and explore a bit. i wanted to start at the e topanga fire rd trailhead on Piso Miramar drive but i couldnt find parking anywere. Plus it seemed like a very upscale nieghboorhood and i saw signs that said "Private rd". so i was kinda sceptical of leaving my car there.

anyway ended up going down to the park and hike Los LIones hiking trail. immediatly i saw signs the said no bikes but figured i would just hike up and then check out some trails along e topanga fire rd.

First off its a shame this hiking trail is off limits to bikes.....its a absoluteyl perfect 1.5 mile descent trail!!!

anyway i got to the top and explored a bit then came down....on my way down i noticed that there was tire tracks that went down the whole way of the trail, so sombody had bikied down it recently.

has anyone ever biked down this trail? i saw plenty of hikers on it so i would assume this rider must have done it earlier this morning.

any other good trails around the area?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If we're not allowed to bike through a trail we're not supposed to discuss it here... I would stick to hiking such a trail so that we don't give others more reason to hate bikers. It is a shame though since it sounds like fun. The proper way to go about this is to try to petition for opening the trail to bikes.

Big Hittin'
    i wasnt saying we should. i was just saying that i noticed tire tracks.

really asking how the riding is up topanga canyon rd. any good single track up there?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You can only hit Los Liones (actually E Topanga FR) on a bike from the Paseo Miramar Road trailhead. This is because the connector trail at the Los Leonis Road trailhead is off limits to bikes.Don't even think of riding this - the numerous cougars up there will tear you to pieces if you try ride their hiking trail.
    I normally ride up Paseo Miramar Road from sunset to increase the pain, but have noticed hikers parking on certain (few) parts of Paseo Miramar that are not posted "no parking".
    It a GREAT climb all the way up past Parker Mesa, Trippet ranch, Eagle Rock and on to the Hub, probably the best on the area in terms of suffering. Here's a GPS track from a loop I did yesterday that included Paseo Miramar/Los Leonis.

Hello
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbbrad View Post
    You can only hit Los Liones (actually E Topanga FR) on a bike from the Paseo Miramar Road trailhead. This is because the connector trail at the Los Leonis Road trailhead is off limits to bikes.Don't even think of riding this - the numerous cougars up there will tear you to pieces if you try ride their hiking trail.
    I normally ride up Paseo Miramar Road from sunset to increase the pain, but have noticed hikers parking on certain (few) parts of Paseo Miramar that are not posted "no parking".
    It a GREAT climb all the way up past Parker Mesa, Trippet ranch, Eagle Rock and on to the Hub, probably the best on the area in terms of suffering. Here's a GPS track from a loop I did yesterday that included Paseo Miramar/Los Leonis.
    Excuse me, "cougars" as in meow, meow, rawr cougars or ?????? please explain in detail. Thank you.

sent from my rotary phone

Big Hittin'
    Im pretty sure he mean cougars as in ladies as the hiking trail has a ton of people on it.

But there are signs warning about mountain lions. i actually hiked it alone in the morning and was pretty nervous. if you havnt hiked this trail check it out. its such a perfect trail, like what you see in biking videos haha. shame its off limits.
    29er's are Goofy

Big Hittin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbbrad View Post
    I was actually thinking of riding a similiar route. I was goin to leave a car at Paseo Miramar, and leave one at sullivan canyon rd.

Climb Sulivan to farmers to temescal to e topanga....
    29er's are Goofy