mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Los Angeles area trials for young mountain bike rider?

Hello all. My 8 year old is now riding a several year old second-hand Scott Scale Jr 24. It is a huge step up from his steel 20" bike, but he lacks stamina and experience for some of the trails that seem to be targeted for beginners. For example, Sycamore Canyon (off of Sunset) is way too much for him at his stage. He enjoys the fire road at Sycamore Canyon (Malibu) and riding around at Balboa Park (Van Nuys) where we usually go. I would like to change things and give him a little more time on dirt, even flat dirt roads, to help him build confidence. I would appreciate suggestions for rides that are adjacent to the San Fernando Valley?

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by sehinla View Post
    He enjoys the fire road at Sycamore Canyon (Malibu) .
    He might be able to handle heading down Two Foxes. That is a really fun single track.

At the bottom end of Two Foxes (closest to the beach) you could take Wood Canyon Rd. northward up to the burnt out shack. That is a very mild climb and he would probably have a blast going down.

mtbr member
    Starting at the TOP of Reseda, ride to the HUB..Then you can take part of Rogers road for some fun, easy single and double track. Turn around anytime. Great for advanced beginners and up
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sehinla View Post
    Hello all. My 8 year old is now riding a several year old second-hand Scott Scale Jr 24. It is a huge step up from his steel 20" bike, but he lacks stamina and experience for some of the trails that seem to be targeted for beginners. For example, Sycamore Canyon (off of Sunset) is way too much for him at his stage. He enjoys the fire road at Sycamore Canyon (Malibu) and riding around at Balboa Park (Van Nuys) where we usually go. I would like to change things and give him a little more time on dirt, even flat dirt roads, to help him build confidence. I would appreciate suggestions for rides that are adjacent to the San Fernando Valley?
    I would hit the single track in the canyon at Sycamore Canyon (Malibu). It's super buff and very fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Thanks everyone. These are really good suggestions. I think we are going to try the top of Reseda over the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would consider Corriganville and Sulluvan Canyon.

29er for the Soul
    Hi,

Try this thread. Good kid-friendly starting trails in Westlake/Agoura/Thousand Oaks Area? There is some good stuff in it. In my post in that thread I give some good tips.

You might also try Ahmanson Ranch aka Upper Las Virgenes Preserve from the top of Victory Boulevard. Pick up a map from the display near the rotating gate up in the dirt parking lot. BTW, you can park on the city streets just below the entrance to the dirt parking lot.

Once you pick up your map, you will see a rotating steel gate as part of a fire road gate. enter here and go left and downhill for about .2 of a mile and the trail forks. You can continue to go downhill on the fire road or take a sharp left and go up the hill. Your son will probably want to walk up this hill. It's only about a tenth of a mile. Then it flatens out for a bit and then climbs sharply for about 40 yards. Your son may want to walk that. Then you come to a plateau. This is where it's easier and the views are great. Continue on the fire road. Follow this road along and it will come to a fire road fork. this is @1.6 miles from the car. There is a brown garbage can and some large rocks. Here you begin a loop. Stay left and you can pick up a bypass single track that runs parallel to it for a while or stay on the fire road. Note that the ST is very bumpy and the fire road is smoother. Take this all the way around and stay near the fire road. The ST will eventually merge back into the fire road.There will be a fire road that goes right, this will shorten your loop. Stay left on the wide fire road. Refer to your map. The fire road will go all the way to a large oak tree that has supposedly been used in movies and commercials. The poor tree doesn't look healthy though, but it does offer some shade.

Rest at the oak tree then go back a little to where you came from and then head left on the fire road. You are making a loop. Follow this dirt road with very mild up and downs and some bumpy sections all the way around and it will come to the second fork near where you picked up the ST. That's where the garbage can and the rocks were and you began your loop.

Go left and follow the way you came in. The entire loop from the car is @5 miles.

For a little more thrill/challenge and a little more of an option, just before you get back to the garbage can and rocks. Look for a dead oak tree on the left and a single track that heads down the hill. This is a blast to ride down. Take this down about .5 of a mile til it ends. It gets rocky and loamy at the very bottom. Depending on his skills, your son might have to take it really slow here or walk this 30 yard section. Finally, it hits the bottom and you come out of some bushes. Take a right and probably by this time, hike up the hill about .1 of a mile. There is a garbage can at the top of this short hill. If you go left, it takes you alllllll the way down to the Las Virgeness trail. I recommend that you instead go right and go back on the fire road. This fire road will take you all the way back up to the dirt parking lot where you started your journey. It's a gradual uphill for about 1.5 miles. If your son is in good shape, you can do this, but he will be burned out by the time he gets to the dirt parking lot.

So, there are some options. I would show you around, but I just had my shoulder operated on last Thursday, so I won't be riding for a while.

I might suggest you ride this first by yourself and then head back with your son if you are interested. The views are stellar and SO much better than the top of Reseda IMHO.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Ahmanson Ranch area or on my directions in the other thread.

Cheers
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    ALSO, CORBA has a free beginner skills clinic the 1st Saturday of every month at MCSP! (Malibu Creek State Park). You can attend with your son!
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Ahmanson Ranch sounds like a good place, and is close by. The skills class sounds great. Going to definitely check that out with both of my boys. So many great ideas in this thread. I can wait to try them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cheesbrough my 7 year old does it all the time and she likes it.