mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Loop near escondido please.

Hi I am staying at 8860 Welk View Dr Escondido, CA 92026 this weekend and would like to bring my MTB.

I am looking for a close riding area that I can do a 1.5 hr loop. I like to climb.

Should I bring FS geared or SS 29er? Thanks!!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    lake hodges, daley ranch, and la costa all fit the bill

la costa would be more fun on FS geared, the others could go either way

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    According to bills website, la costa seems most advanced but only a 6 miler. Hodges is flat and Daley seems like the best bet. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    I visit my in laws in Escondido fairly recently and usually hit up Daley Ranch for a quick morning ride. I have started spreading out further and further to find other riding, but Daley is ok. I haven't done La Costa, but have been recommended it by a lot of others.

mtbr member
    If you like to climb then Elfin Forest for a good 1.5 hour ride. If you REALLY like to climb you can link Hodges, throw in Bernardo Peak and then climb up to Elfin Forest. Probably 3-4K of climbing.

I live at the base of La Costa and there is a lot more than 6 miles out here. If you don't mind a few miles of road I can give you a 15-20 mile loop with 3-4K of climbing and a significant amount of singletrack. You can also link La Costa with Elfin for a good 25 mile 4K climbing day.

Daley can be fun as well, but more fire road/rough fire road with some singletrack mixed in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    If you like to climb then Elfin Forest for a good 1.5 hour ride. If you REALLY like to climb you can link Hodges, throw in Bernardo Peak and then climb up to Elfin Forest. Probably 3-4K of climbing.

I live at the base of La Costa and there is a lot more than 6 miles out here. If you don't mind a few miles of road I can give you a 15-20 mile loop with 3-4K of climbing and a significant amount of singletrack. You can also link La Costa with Elfin for a good 25 mile 4K climbing day.

Daley can be fun as well, but more fire road/rough fire road with some singletrack mixed in.
    gonna be on a time crunch I have the family with me. What ever is closest toy Welks lodge with nice singletrack.

Beer Please!
    Daley is closest to Welks, and you will get plenty of climbing in there, especially if you park in the back lot off cougar pass road.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=8...ra=ls&t=m&z=14
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Daley is closest to Welks, and you will get plenty of climbing in there, especially if you park in the back lot off cougar pass road.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=8...ra=ls&t=m&z=14
    Thanks for the pin, 6 miles away perfect.

mtbr member
    yeah I live just up the hill from where you are staying, riding daley ranch and parking at the cougar lot will be the quickest place to ride, and you can put in alot of miles there if you want. For a 1.5 hour loop from that parking lot I would suggest this loop:

Cougar Ridge > Crest (fun) > Ranch House > Sage > Quail Run > Caballo (make sure you are going back up not down! so go right) > Sage > East Ridge > Ranch house > Boulder Loop > Cougar Ridge back to car.

This takes me about 1.5 - 2 hours to complete depending on how I am feeling. Its a pretty fun loop, for me anyways.

Here is a map of Daley Ranch for reference: http://www.escondido.org/Data/Sites/...eyRanchMap.pdf

mtbr member
    Quail run is fun!

I'm your density
    Another vote for Daley, given your logistics and the fun factor of the area.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Rode Daley's over the weekend. Man should of brought the geared bike. The climb was relentless. Thanks for the trail info. Had fun.

mtbr member
    sweet, I feel for your legs, the climbing can be brutal

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Depending on your route you can get up to 153 feet/mile of climbing out there. Hopefully you threw rock ridge (off boulder loop) into your route. That is a fun single track (going down), but I usually go up it!