mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Looking for trails in Sherman Oaks / Malibu hills area

Hi all, new to the are and looking for trails near my house in Sherman Oaks. Any suggestions?

b a n n e d
    You've got the SM mountains in your backyard. Go play!

Reseda Blvd., Caballero, Hectic plus everything else on the Santa Monica side of the hill. AMPLE trails my friend. Drive a little out the 101 North and you'll hit Cheseboro, then Moorpark/Los Robles, Wildwood, Sycamore Canyon . . . . hundreds of miles of dirt.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are some decent trails in the Fryman Canyon, Franklin Canyon area. More in Studio City, but you can ride there from Sherman Oaks easily.

There's something to be said for not having to sit in traffic to go for a ride.

mtbr member
    Maybe check out Dixie Canyon. The road turns into dirt the further you get up the hill.

I lived on Weddington at Kester & Magnolia for many years and used to run to the top of DC to Mulholland and back to my house. It's been at least 18 years since I've been up there, but if memory serves me, the dirt wasn't all that long but steep in places. I looked at the Google satelitte on it and I think it's cement again right before Mulholland.....can't quite tell for sure. Again it's been so long my memory's a bit foggy.

Also for a fairly close access to dirt Mullholland --which you can take to Westridge, Mountaingate or Sullivan Canyon/Ridge fireroads--is take Beverly Glenn all the way up to Mulholland. Go right at the stop light at the top of the hill and continue West on Mulholland, across the 405 until it dead ends into Encino Hills. You can park just on the dirt, off the road and have access to all the above fireroads off of dirt Mulholland WITHOUT having to get on the 101 or 405.

But yes, as mentioned--Reseda off the 101..you can get Caballero right there at the entrance for the Bramer Country Club OR just continue up the hill where there's free parking (behind the line) and you have access to again dirt Mulholland and all fireroads off of it.

A nice way to access dirt Mulholland that not a whole lot of people know is the Van Alden thing. Simply take the 101, again north/west, to Tampa (one exit past Reseda) make a left, go under the freeway, stay in the LH lane and make a left. on Ventura almost right away. Go to your first major intersection not even a quarter mile down...Van Alden and go right. Follow VA all the way up the hill for a few miles to the very end. The last street you can possibly turn right onto is Gleneagles, take it and proceed about a quarter mile till it dead-ends into Greenbriar. Go left, up the steep hill a short way and you'll see the trail entrance at the end. I like this spot better simply because there's less deviant people hanging around that could possibly break into your car plus you don't have to climb a ridiculous hill just starting out to get onto dirt Mulholland. You wanna go left from this spot on Mulholland to access all the more popular side fireroads..

A nice ride from Reseda/Van Alden is out to Trippet Ranch (or out further to the Palisades overlook) and back. I just did that last Sunday. Weekends get real crowded after 10 AM so be forewarned. During the week you have the place to yourself for the most part.

I like Cheeseboro a lot. It's about 32 miles from my house in Glendale, so from Sherman Oaks, definitely under 20 miles one way. Just gotta pick the right time to go (if there is such a thing) with the 101.

You can also get the back side of Cheeseboro, which is Ahmanson Ranch, without going down the hill and staying in the Valley. Ahmanson Ranch is pretty expansive in itself. Again out the 101 to Valley Circle--go right/North..a few miles down and make a left on Vanowen. You'll see a trail access on the left by the little mini-mall. If you didn't want to get on the freeway you could go up Kester to Vanowen and just head west and you'll run right into it eventually. It would take you longer of course.

You could also come out this way, East, and do the Verdugos (where I do 80% of my mtn biking, both trail heads are less then 2 miles from my house) or the the front of the Angeles Mountain range which includes such popular spots has Brown Mtn., Mt. Lukens, etc.
    Last edited by Dave Ferris; 01-22-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Vanowen not Van Alden and added thoughts

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I used to ride up Dixie Canyon all the time, problem is you end up having to take Mulholland to other trails- and riding on Mulholland scares me.

Better to start off Laurel Canyon at Fryman.

I'd be happy to show you around the area once I have my new bike built up.

mtbr member
    Yeah I would never ride on Mulholland myself..like you said too many cars going too fast around too many curves! My directions where meant more for putting the bike in the car, driving to the trails...without having to get on the freeway.

I suggested DC simply has a quick neighborhood ride but yes Fryman is more of a real trail.

Likewise, if you need some particulars on the access out here in Glendale/La Canada..let me know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I live off of Cheseboro, glad to see there's lots to ride around here! I've hiked allot of these trails, and see bikes all the time - part of the reason I've decided to start MTB riding. Time to really get some distance on some of these trails in my backyard!

mtbr member
    I live in Sherman Oaks too.

I went up to the El Cab trail today. Been a long while. I grew up in Tarzana and we used to head up in that area all the time as kids. Before any of the developments were there. Braemar used to be the end of the line. Even worked there one summer on the driving range. I remember riding across from Braemar with friends on little 80cc dirt bikes circa 1980. We also would hike up to the Nike missile site back when it was spray painted and littered with beer bottles.

Well biked up as far as I could which wasn't much and hoofed it the rest of the way. Just starting out myself. I was pretty beat when I reached the top of the trail. Sure was fun coming down though. I may cheat next time and just take the road to the top. Might be able to go down a few times without it taking so long. I don't know.

It was fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Good info in this thread, I'm new here and I'm about to buy a mountain bike soon for exercise can't wait to try these places out. I actually live on Kester / Burbank a block away from where "jazz piano guy" used to live.