Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

looking for good trails in SoCal

826 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  A-NON-A 
#1 ·
as title say's, i live in Long Beach and ride Santa Monica *(backbone trail is amazing) and Laguna. there are some good trails but i want somethign new.

if you guys can suggest some trails *(if you ahve links with info that would be great) as i know showing to a new location and not knowing where to go can be confusing.
im looking for something new to ride this weekend. and i'm willing to drive further if i have to. last weeekend i was in Temecula and those mountains looked super fun, any fun trails there?
any good single track?
i want to get a good workoout so longer trails would be great. wont mind climbing as long as there's good long downhill after.
anyone?
thanks for the help

bike: specialized Stumpjumper FSR '10

#4 ·
CEB said:
Go south to Ortega Hwy and try the San Juan Trail on for size. Get there EARLY was the shuttlers start their descents in mass by 10:30 or so.......

Google San Juan Trail and you'll find dozens of links and info.
dude i just looked it up and it looks amazing.
at 20 miles its awesome.
i think im a bit out of shape for that long of a ride, but did you say there's a way to shuttle?
anyone out there wants to ride/shuttle and been there before? let me know

#5 ·
romanl said:
dude i just looked it up and it looks amazing.
at 20 miles its awesome. I think im a bit out of shape for that long of a ride, but did you say there's a way to shuttle?
anyone out there wants to ride/shuttle and been there before? let me know
Try riding UP the trail first. Even if it's only to Cocktail rock. The sense of accomplishment combined with the rush of the downhill after will really make it all worth it. Coming from San Diego (where I live), this is a fun destination ride, esp since I love being the "goat" and climbing. Then once you've made to Cocktail under your own power, finish at Blue Jay campground where you can rest , re-group, splash some water on yourself and gear up for a riotous trip back to the car. The 12 miles "down" is prob one of the most underestimated trails in SoCal.. Just getting down WILL work ya!

Now go enjoy. On a clear day take a good look to the west from the top, you can see the top of Kiluea Volcano on the big isle of Hawaii :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

#6 ·
San Juan is a blast!!! I rode it for the first time back in Sep and I am a Intermediate rider, Clydesdale and I also had no brakes ..... Still had a ton of fun... I did have some hike a bike since I'm not the strongest climber...... Still worth it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.