mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Looking to borrow (rent) 17' / medium bike this weekend

Hi, there. My wife and I are visiting SD this weekend and staying very close to Black Mtn. I'm looking for a multi-day rental, probably, Fri through Mon. I called the LBS, and they want $65 / day, which is pretty crazy for four days.

I was hoping someone had something gathering dust that they would rent to me for some reasonable amount. I can put down a deposit on it. About the only thing I'd really like it to have is disc brakes. Nothing too fancy needed. Either FS or HT would be fine.

Thank you!
    Last edited by rturanc; 04-03-2013 at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That's 17". I'm not that tall!

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    North of the Border Bikes rents. They are on the west end of Penasquitos Preserve, about 5-10 miles from where you are staying. Probably your best bet.

North of the Boarder Bikes

Do you have an idea of what you want to ride, trail-wise? These will be right out your door or very close by.

Black Mountain

Lusardi Loop

Lake Hodges

There are lots of options in the area well beyond just these but it is a start.

**EDIT** Crap, nevermind on the shop, I just reread the post and saw your price point. I hope the maps help you out at least. Good luck.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the help. I had already called NotB. I think they were $100 / day if you took it anywhere but Penasquitos.

Thanks for the maps. I'm hoping to get in a few rides at Black Mtn.

I'm your density
    Man, I need to stock up on a few bikes and get into the affordable "rental" business.

Edit: Loaners with donations of beer accepted.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Seriously! If you can get that fleet up and running by this weekend, you'll already have your first customer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Still looking to rent something for the weekend. Somewhere around $100 seems "reasonable" to me for the weekend. I'm flexible, though. Just don't (won't) rent a bike for 4 days at $65/day from the LBS. May as well buy something used for that kind of $. Seriously, my rental car is coming to $35 / day, out the door.

Please let me know if you are interested in making a little cash off that bike that's just sitting in the corner, gathering dust. Like I said, not looking for anything fancy. HT / FS / 26 /29, doesn't matter, just looking to ride. I'm staying at the Doubletree Rancho Bernardo, so pretty excited to have Black Mtn right in the backyard.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rturanc View Post
    Please let me know if you are interested in making a little cash off that bike that's just sitting in the corner, gathering dust. Like I said, not looking for anything fancy. HT / FS / 26 /29, doesn't matter, just looking to ride. I'm staying at the Doubletree Rancho Bernardo, so pretty excited to have Black Mtn right in the backyard.

Well, I live right near Black Mtn. and have an extra bike, but it's more of a 19" than 17". Old hard tail with front suspension and front disc brake. May be modifiable for your size, as I have a shorter stem I can throw on.
    If not biking, then what?

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Due to liability concerns, I cannot rent you a bike.

I'll sell you a bike and I would like to buy it back before you leave town, less an agreed upon amount.

I've several bikes, FS, SS, road, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    B&L is a good resource for rentals. I think the last thread asking for rental advice in SD ended up using B&L...

Rentals - BL Bike & Sports

About half way down the first page the OP says he rented at B&L

Need advice for San Diego
    Last edited by Smudge13; 04-04-2013 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    pm sent. Thanks!