Thread: Long Rides????

mtbr member

Long Rides????

I will be coming back home for my winter break and I was wondering if anyone knew of a trail that was supposedly being built or opened up to mountain bikers that went from Julian to North County? My mom had sent me a newspaper clipping about it saying that it was going to be about 70 miles long, and mostly doubletrack. I was just hoping I could ride it for training for the Ouachita Challenge over my break.

If not are there any other rides I could piece together for an all day ride in the North County area?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC

Not yet.....

The idea is there. The plans are made. Unfortunately the trail is not complete.

http://www.seatoseatrail.org/index.cfm/CurrentMap

There are two trails in the process of being created.

One uses the PQ valley, goes through Poway, Sycamore Canyon, San Vicente Reservoir and heads out towards Julian via several undeveloped trails.

The second is to go from Del Mar, past Lake Hodges, up the 78 valley to Ramona and link up with the Sea to Sea trail. Unfortunately due to the recent fires, a majority of that is closed for a while. As far as completeness, I cannot say where it stands.

That is about the best I can do for you. Hope it helps a little.

mtbr member

Thanks!!!

That was the one I was thinking of the sea-to-sea trail. Has anyone done stretches of this? I thought it would be closed sometime due to the fires, hopefully it reopens soon. Sounds like a great trail to get some long base miles on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's not too far of a drive and you can easily do some loops for upwards of 40 miles in the Santa Ana's.

If you are closer to 15 you can climb up Indian Truck Trail off of 15 and either go right up to Santiago Peak, or shorten that a tad and climb up to Upper Holy Jim, descend that down to Holy Jim, and climb back up Trabuco or hike-a-bike up West Horsethief. The othe roption is to go left, descend Trabuco, then ride over and climb Holy Jim, climb up Main Divide, descend Upper Holy Jim, then descend ITT back to your car.

You can do variations of these routes from 5/OC as well.

http://www.geoladders.com has a lot of routes, official and personal. I have one ITT route with photos and navigation. The rest probably don't have that much info. There are quite a few routes from the OC side that are official. Just be sure to stay away from Harding, Motorway, Santiago Truck Trail, and Joplin, as those are closed from the recent fires.