Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Logs on Sycamore Cyn

What is up with the logs across the trails in the burn area? Did the county do this or some misguided bike hater? It's just causing the trail to grow wider in those areas.

L&A
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Agreed...if people want to built stunts maybe they could put the stunts off to the side of the singletrack as to not ruin the flow of the trail? Just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sometimes land managers take the opportunity after a fire to shut off unnecessary or spur trails in order to preserve existing habitat. The thought would be that it would stop usage on those trails and direct it to one central trail. This method only works so long as riders are responsible but as you just pointed out most of the time riders just go around these barriers causing even more impact to the recovering habitat.

L&A
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    These aren't barriers. The logs are piled up in piles right across the singletrack from small to big and then small again in order to make a log roll. Didn't count them as I was going through, maybe 5 or 6 log rolls, but a few of them are about 50 ft apart. Whoever built them rerouted the singletrack around the stunts and in some cases lined the singletrack with rocks to define the trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by L&A
    These aren't barriers. The logs are piled up in piles right across the singletrack from small to big and then small again in order to make a log roll. Didn't count them as I was going through, maybe 5 or 6 log rolls, but a few of them are about 50 ft apart. Whoever built them rerouted the singletrack around the stunts and in some cases lined the singletrack with rocks to define the trail.
    Uh, ok. I'm not Danny MacAskill. By the time I got to them they were just log plies. I speculate someone else marked the detours to get around the obstacles but limit the damage. Stunts are cool with me but I think should be on a more remote type of side loop.

That said, these would be awesome if the DH approach were filled in with dirt with a good slope (not 1/4 pipe style).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Which Sycamore Canyon?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    San Diego county, Santee to Poway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by h82crash
    Uh, ok. I'm not Danny MacAskill. By the time I got to them they were just log plies. I speculate someone else marked the detours to get around the obstacles but limit the damage. Stunts are cool with me but I think should be on a more remote type of side loop.

That said, these would be awesome if the DH approach were filled in with dirt with a good slope (not 1/4 pipe style).
    The tree fell across the trail, and some nice MTB'r took the time to stack logs so other riders can ride over the fell tree. This is common in a lot forested areas. It not a difficult obstacle, and I have seen several beginners do it. There is always the fire road route for entry level MTB'rs like yourself.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leadmoto
    The tree fell across the trail, and some nice MTB'r took the time to stack logs so other riders can ride over the fell tree. This is common in a lot forested areas. It not a difficult obstacle, and I have seen several beginners do it. There is always the fire road route for entry level MTB'rs like yourself.
    That feature is completely gone now. There was a very large tree that someone stacked logs to get over and there was a detour. After the fire it was burned/removed. The features they are refering to are new.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

not so 1337 mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    hmmm I think I missed these logs a week and a half ago What part of the trail? I rode thru the burned area and dont remember too much. I was riding through some switch backs and i come around the corner and BANG hit my big toe. Then I rode through a tree laying over the track but had a spot thru it where you could ride through.

mtbr member
    Actually slows down a quite fun part of the trail. I've always loved to build speed there and launch off of the little jump. Now it's to slow to get any momentum. I say get rid of em!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster
    Actually slows down a quite fun part of the trail. I've always loved to build speed there and launch off of the little jump. Now it's to slow to get any momentum. I say get rid of em!
    X2 who ever put those should take them away

L&A
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmq
    X2 who ever put those should take them away

CEB
    No horse'n round

Log jumps

Quote Originally Posted by L&A
    Prob inspired by the log "jump" that was there PRIOR to the fire from a deadfall. I myself prefer riding natural or primitive trails that have not had "features" added.... like those piles of wood ready to throw in the fire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Instead of complaining about it, just move them the next time you ride there. Should be easy enough.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    lets all just chill the Fugh out.

It's a few stacked logs not a friggin half-pipe.

Don't wanna go over them?
    Don't wanna go around them?
    Turn around and go home, problem solved.

ah, hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd
    that makes too much sense

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd
    lets all just chill the Fugh out.

It's a few stacked logs not a friggin half-pipe.

The trail is too narrow to turn around there.......

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by leadmoto

You guys are funny, but I have my Andrew Dice Clay records for laughs. Nice flame, but I was just asking a question. So sorry us novices are on you pro's trails. These are way beneath your great skills anyway, instead of jacking them up, maybe stay up at Ted Williams. But no, I think you're right, we should start a campaign at all the lbs to relegate all new mtbr's to riding around Lake Miramar.

Liaison
    Trail should be trail. Stunts should be on side of trial. Look at Los Gatos in the Lagunas. Trail flows, stunts on the side. Not rocket science. What next?...a bunch of rocks across the trail for technical riding? Many folks ride Sycamore at night. A pile of logs in the trail is a stupid hazard. Grow a brain.
    SDMBA Liaison, Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves

mtbr member
    Now that does make sense, thank you.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardner
    Trail should be trail. Stunts should be on side of trial. Look at Los Gatos in the Lagunas. Trail flows, stunts on the side. Not rocket science. What next?...a bunch of rocks across the trail for technical riding? Many folks ride Sycamore at night. A pile of logs in the trail is a stupid hazard. Grow a brain.
    Stunts and rocks, in areas where people mountain bike?

That is just plain crazy! Lets send a strike team out to pave those trails !

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardner

If you can't see those logs at night pony up $80 for the Magicshine. Sadly some features have been built adjacent to the trail at Sycamore and promptly ripped down by "purists" that don't want features out at Sycamore. Lame...

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Glad I read this post a couple of days ago. Rode Sycamore last night and knew to be on the lookout for the logs. Me no like and I don't think they should be there, but hey...I guess I could have moved them but wanted to keep riding.

I too hope they disappear soon.

ah, hamburgers
    Can we get a pic of the logs?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast