mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Living/Riding/working in Socal...

I can live anywhere I want, for this consulting gig, from LA area to San Diego. I'm thinking about taking it, given the fact that I'm currently in Seattle and Seattle sucks(unless you dig rain, clouds, and morose unfriendly people).

I have no interest in Justin Timberlake, Paris Hilton or anything "LA".

Really like to find a small, quiet, laid back, unfashionable town to live, work and squeeze in as much single track as possible....when I'm not working.
    Ride off my doortstep onto some good singletrack. Possible in southern California??

I AM interested in access to fast, flowy, challenging, amazing singletrack.

I race CAT 1 XC and have done most of my riding in Texas. So, I'm sure your California trails will rock my world.

I'm NOT a full body armor, full faced helmet downhiller, either. To chicken for that!

Anybody have suggestions for good towns and good trails?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/suggestions/ideas!

Top five trails that fit description above?

Top 5 towns?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Pine Valley in San Diego County may fit the bill. Has all the town attributes you desire and access to great cross-country riding in the Cuyamaca and Laguna mountains.

San Clemente in Orange County may also work for you, but the town is definitely not "unfashionable".

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    San Diego is a great place to live. I'm very new to MTB'g so I don't have many recommendations to challenge your level but can definitely recommend the weather here for being bike friendly.

Hope to give you a big "WELCOME!" soon!

PS- checkout Mountain Bike Bill's site for info on SoCal trails:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

mtbr member
    Idyllwild is a small town with a great riding culture. Has tons of riding, clean air, mountains, trees and no celebrities to deal with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ride right from my front door to a nice selection of trails. Same thing applies to road biking if you do that as well...lots of great roads. I live in Newbury Park. Anywhere in this area Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills etc. is a great place to live for a cyclist.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I also live in Newbury Park and agree with motox155.

I have trails right within the community I live, a state part with trails less than 2 miles from my garage, and even get to ride Los Robles trail to work - commuting via single track is sure nice.

Kirk

No known cure
    Besides the odd race, I haven't rode under 5000' in Socal for almost ten years. there's nothing really worth driving to down there. At least for me. No offense but those who live DTH can keep the smog, traffic, noise, crowded trails, blistering heat. ect.

Really like to find a small, quiet, laid back, unfashionable town to live, work and squeeze in as much single track as possible

Idyllwild or the Big Bear area is what you're describing. Singletrack out your door for miles and miles and miles and...
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

CEB
    No horse'n round
    What a wonderful prospect.... a shot of getting out of the Northwet (misspelled on purpose) and living in a more "human friendly" latitude.

Riding in S.D. county, we have LOTS of the trails you describe. I live a short 15 minute bike ride to miles and miles of trails. It's "east county".

AND... the rider from Newberry Park/Moorpark, he's got some dang good stuff too. That Backbone, Sycamore network and then north of the 101, Chesbro etc.

Unless you are independently wealthy, which most of us are , $$$ will dictate where you ultimately live. There are ways to live in SoCal and not feel overwhelmed by people. Rule #1.... stay OFF the freeway.

T.W.O.
    +1 on Aliso, good trail with all the flavors and choices. You can get a quick XC ride or some fun AM ride so many choices in one Trail systems. Check out Geoladder Rock-it

dft
    mtbr member
    ok, i've ridden a sh$$tload in socal. lived in SD for 10 years and 3 years in OC and have ridden alot in LA.

if you want semi epicish type of rides, great year round temps OC is the best (thinking large vertical descents). can you handle pretty technical trails? SD has great stuff, but no big vert, its good for freeride though(which you stated your not into). hit up the santa ana mountains, a dozen+ good rides there, all > 2000 foot descents, some around 4000. plus you are 1 hour from SD and LA riding. (LA has 2 great areas, san gabs and SM mountains). also, OC has AW/LW if you want to expand to more steeps/technical, etc

idlywild is good, but very cold/snowy in winter and a baker in summer. the desert also has great winter riding(has some awesome epic trails)

ps. i will mention, SD has ALOT of riding spots but almost all are snoozers to me (i'm greedy rider, i need big vert or techno/freeride/steeps). the snoozer spots are: lpq, scyamore, cyumaca, elfin, lake hodges, daly ranch, rose/telecoyete canyon, sweetwater, BLT, vail lake, florida canyon, calaveras,....

mtbr member
    Newbury Park, TO is great for sure, live there myself, but would recommend it if your driving much to San Diego.

Rejoicing always!
    While some may view this as LA vs SD, I think it's more like "LA has great riding! SD has great riding!"

I started my riding in Santa Clarita Valley, which has some great riding. However, if I wanted to live away from it all, Pine Valley would win. Big Bear and Idyllwild are great, but I think they both have a higher level of weekend out-of-towners descending on the area. Interestingly, if you ever are Jonesing for some "culture" or the beach or a nice restaurant, it's a 40-50 minute drive to San Diego proper.

That said, if I had the necessary cash flow, I would live in Santa Barbara. Unbelievable weather, all levels of trails (Canyon, Romero, Cold Springs, etc.), only the occasional fire. My parents live there.

Okay, I'm going to send this message, then spend a couple minutes reflecting on how blessed I am, with access to amazing trails perhaps cracking the top 10.